Author Topic: J box help, PLEASE!  (Read 3172 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
J box help, PLEASE!
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:52:05 AM »
Do you need to drill the rivets from the back to open the J box? I leave for the National on Monday, and was troubleshooting an electrical problem, no marker lights and no voltmeter (relay for voltmeter triggered by the marker light circuit) and found what you see in the pic below. The fuse never actually blew, but the box and connector melted. Is this a new J box failure, or has someone seen or heard of this?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:29:21 AM by bbroj »
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: J box help, PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 09:57:13 AM »
Gotta love "search! I found what I was looking for, but will take advice on my next steps. My thought is open and re-flow the Jbox, add wires and an inline fuse holder for the melted location if necessary. A new Jbox seems to be in my future, but I need to get this going to make the National.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 12:03:03 PM »
That's the same kind of failure I had.  The fuse holder clips get loose over time and that creates a high resistance, which makes heat, which melts things.  Yes, drill the heads off the plastic "rivets" that hold the back cover on, then you can pry the guts out of the J-box.  If the circuit board is not damaged, you will want to reflow the solder on the circuit board connections, pull all of the fuse clips off of their terminals on the board, and give them a little squeeze with some small needle-nose pliers to tighten them up.  Make sure when you push them back on that they are tight on both ends, the circuit board terminal and the fuse end.

Your in-line fuse by-pass fix should work fine if that's what you need to do.

Pic below of the circuit board out of the box, you can see the heat damage. 

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:34:21 PM »
I managed to chip the fuse connector out of the melted plastic and clean it up with contact cleaner and a small screwdriver, enough so that it could be re used. The circuit board trace was another issue. It had lifted from the board and torn. I managed to get some solder on it, but it was basically a mechanical connection to hold the connector post in place. I ran a wire on the opposite side to the same point that the trace ran and soldered it in place. It works, but it's not very pretty. I did look for other cold solder joints, but didn't check the remaining fuse clips, maybe another tech session idea! All of the fuses did go in firmly, though.
COG 9331

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »
Hey, I just got home from a ride up into the Adirondacks to pick my son up from camp.  (Getting dropped off and picked up at camp on a motorcycle has been deemed just about the coolest possible camp experience by staff and campers alike!  ;D )

I have a spare J-box you could borrow to bring along with you to the National if you've got time to meet up tomorrow.  (Sunday)  I have no plans, and it would be cheap insurance.  Just return it after the National.  It's only got 58.8 miles on it, so should be in good shape.

I'll PM a copy of this message to you along with my number.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »
Jon, PM sent, I accept!
COG 9331