Author Topic: Lifting the Concours  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Lifting the Concours
« on: May 12, 2018, 12:45:53 PM »
Just a quick question from a cruiser guy. I have a J&S mororcycle jack that I use all the time on my other bikes. Just looking at the Concours, it looks like the exhaust is going to be in the way of where the jack would need to be.

Am I going to need a set of motorcycle race stands to remove the wheels when I change the tires? If not, how is everyone lifting their bikes?

Thanks!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline zrx mitch

Re: Lifting the Concours
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 12:59:57 PM »
Can't use a race stand on the rear, with it on the center stand and the front on a stand the rear tire was on the ground. Put it on the center stand and remove the rear wheel, put a small floor jack under the oil pan and lift enough to get the front wheel off of the ground.
IBA #18591

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »
What about removing the rear wheel first with it on the center stand, then use a race stand on the front after the rear wheel is off the bike. That is what I was thinking anyway...

I have a small floor jack that I can use also. I just wasn’t sure how strong that oil pan is.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »
What about removing the rear wheel first with it on the center stand, then use a race stand on the front after the rear wheel is off the bike. That is what I was thinking anyway...

I have a small floor jack that I can use also. I just wasn’t sure how strong that oil pan is.

If you do it one wheel at a time, R&R the rear, then when you do the front, use a floor jack at the headers (they’re offset, so use a block of wood to apply pressure evenly).  Fred Harmon does it that way and it seems to work.  With the rear on, you just jack it up until the rear tire touches the floor.  Then you can R&R the front. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Motor Psycho

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 05:11:12 PM »
I use a jack like this under the header to remove front wheel

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253432503478?hash=item3b01c11cb6

Better than hydraulic jack because it won't leak down over time. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 06:29:05 AM »

I've done it that way in the past.   Have also used a floor jack on the pan using a board.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 10:43:40 AM »
I use a jack like this under the header to remove front wheel

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253432503478?hash=item3b01c11cb6

Better than hydraulic jack because it won't leak down over time.

If your hydraulic jack leaks down over time, its time to buy a quality hydraulic jack. Of course something solid is always a good idea, but my floor jack doesn't leak down, even when lifting the entire back end of a truck.