Author Topic: Covers  (Read 8096 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Covers
« on: April 24, 2015, 04:51:50 AM »
I looked around and only found a really old thread about motorcycle covers and wanted a fresher perspective. My C10 has a tail trunk and I wanted to find out what size cover I will need? What do you use?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Covers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 05:20:27 AM »
I looked around and only found a really old thread about motorcycle covers and wanted a fresher perspective. My C10 has a tail trunk and I wanted to find out what size cover I will need? What do you use?

I use the X-large cover found at Wal-Mart for $20 to $25.  I think it is Dowco brand.  I usually get about 2 to 3 years out of it before it gets ratty looking.  They live forever in the garage.  There are other higher quality and priced ones out there but they only last about 5 years outside before they start breaking down.  I think they usually cost about $100.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 05:32:18 AM »
So that will also cover the tail trunk?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 06:22:12 AM »
Yes, it will cover trunk and side bags.  I have the copy of the Givi sized for two helmets - 37L size maybe?

Mine lives in a garage now.  However, for outside use you may want to get some of those clips you can attach anywhere to tarps.  This will give you additional points to secure the cover if it is kept in a potentially windy area.  Most covers only have one securing point at the bottom.  I like to add one thru the rear wheel.

Sun is more of the enemy than rain as the bikes get older.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »
It's mostly going to be used on our carport. In part because of rain and allergens, but also to keep the damn cats off.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
It's mostly going to be used on our carport. In part because of rain and allergens, but also to keep the damn cats off.

It will be perfect.  It's exactly what I used two houses ago when we had a carport.  In the winter (for long-term storage) I draped a towel and taped it in position to protect the windshield from scuffing until spring.  I kept an egg crate outside by the bike to stuff the cover in each morning.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »
Cool, I will look for it this weekend. Of course knowing my luck they won't carry it ;-)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:30:46 PM »
I have two of these, one for each bike.  They work great and cover the Givi E460 trunk box as well as the side bags for both bikes, windshield, etc.  I bought one for the Connie in 2005 and it is still in good shape except for the elastic at the bottom is coming off.

http://www.2wheelpros.com/western-power-sports-deluxe-motorcycle-cover-2515130.html?o=5866695&gclid=CMyk_ovPkMUCFZRgfgodFpsAow
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 05:27:24 AM »
That looks exactly like the Wal-Mart cover except for the logo.  And yes, the elastic goes after a year or so.

Offline KZBell

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 05:51:54 AM »
I use the Walmart cover.
Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 09:40:43 PM »
I didn't get out this last weekend as I got busy installing a ceiling fan and light in our front room. It was built with no light there. I never could figure out why. It would seem to be a simple job but turned out to be a little complex. There is a light in what probably should be the dining area but it is just at the far end of the living room and provides no light where you really need it. I was installing a dimmer for that light and a dimmer/fan control for the ceiling fan. 

I got the two gang box installed and then tried to figure out the wiring. It took awhile to figure it out but it ends up it was setup as a end-of-run and did not have a common as the hot was the only thing there. The power to the switch was provided by the light fixture. I ended up replacing that wire with 14/3 and also ran 14/3 to the fan. I had to climb into the attic and ran the wire for the ceiling fan on Sat. When I finally realized the wiring from the light fixture I went out to buy more wire but by then it was way too hot in the attic and I had to wait till Sun. to do it. It was quite the chore, not just a basic replacing the light with the fan. In the end I got it done and it looks and works great.

I will try to get out this next weekend to look for the cover.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
Went to walmart today, they didn't have jack.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 05:27:04 AM »
Check the website and have it shipped to your local store for free.  The website implies it will be a week.

I think this is it:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcycle-Cover-Large/16817257

Make sure you select X-large.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 10:16:14 PM »
I'll have to do that. I checked another Walmart and they also didn't have it. Only the expensive ones. Cheapest was $40, the most expensive was $60.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 08:51:22 PM »
Follow-up. The xl cover does not fit. With the top-box it won't cover the bike. Looks like I will need the xml.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 05:32:48 AM »
I wonder if they changed suppliers or design?  The XL fits fine on mine with the trunk on.  Can't remember size but it is the one that says it can hold 2 helmets.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 10:44:48 AM »
It probably isn't the same one. Different manufacturer, I think it is something like Docool. I am on vacation and am using my cellphone so it is inconvenient to try and check.