Author Topic: More display/ecu weirdness  (Read 863 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
More display/ecu weirdness
« on: October 25, 2019, 09:20:05 PM »
Rode 370 miles today from Paris, TX to Wichita, 200 of thrm in shite weather, 45 degrees and steady drizzle. After about 150 miles in this soup my front PSI reading went to ---, never a low batt warning. After about 10 miles it came back. Starting to plan my gas stop I scrolled through the dispaly and saw Current --- MPG. First time I`ve seen that one in 12 years. Range was looking way off as well and odometer was not incrementing. after a few miles of this the speedometer needles starts dancing around then drops to 0 and stays there. after 20 miles it comes back to life briefly then dies again. The speedo and odo and current mpg were non functional for about 45- 50 miles total. Then, more or less  coincidental with the rain stopping and getting on some dry roads all functions came back.

Also, I had stopped at one point during the malfunction to check the bike over make sure nothing was loose. Firing the engine up I noticed no yellow ABS light. It is now back on on startup. THere is one more weird thing but I will save for a future post.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: More display/ecu weirdness
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 10:57:44 PM »
Based on previous postings and intuition, I would say you have either an issue with a bad connection somewhere or a power issue.

Power issue is easy- take out the battery, clean the posts and connectors (shine them), same with all the frame grounds and eyes.

As for connections, I am not sure where they all are, but I would disconnect and reconnect each one you find at least twice.  At the ECU, to the display, etc.  Some are likely to be very hard to get to... so perhaps start with whatever you can easily access and then see if the problem returns and move on to the more difficult ones.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 04:04:42 AM »
It definitely sounds like a connection issue. If it was me, I'd take all the connectors that have anything to do with the gauges and the ECU apart, clean them with a contact cleaner (I've had good luck with DeoxIT):

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=DeoxIT&qid=1572083346&sr=8-1

Let it dry (a shot of compressed air wouldn't hurt either), then seal the connectors with dielectric grease:

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Automotive-Dielectric-Silicone-Waterproof/dp/B016E5E59G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=electronics+dielectric+grease&qid=1572083261&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE0TEtOM1dFWU01UkkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMDQyNjYzODI1WThQVk42RjlYJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNDc0MjYxVDlTVVAyOVJORFdFJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Coat the male end of the connector with enough grease to seal the 4 sides of it...it's Ok if you get some on the contacts. Then take a good look at the point where the wires enter the back of the connectors...it won't hurt to use the dielectric grease on the back side as well.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 05:32:43 AM »
Coat the male end of the connector with enough grease to seal the 4 sides of it...it's Ok if you get some on the contacts. Then take a good look at the point where the wires enter the back of the connectors...it won't hurt to use the dielectric grease on the back side as well.

Yeah, I did forget to mention that any poor connections might also be due to water infiltration.  In such a case, it is usually pretty obvious when the connector is opened- corrosion will be visible.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 08:12:34 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I already have those two products in my garage and will use them when I get home. Weather is dry for next couple days and I anticipating/hoping for.. no recurrence.

I am suspecting the console connector for two reasons. One, the rubber cover does not fit as  perfectly  as it did before I added the wire for the display mod. Also, with the Madstad brackets installed I know that cover panel gets more wind and rain blast than with the oem screen.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.