Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 852873 times)

Offline tomp

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #380 on: December 28, 2014, 09:50:44 PM »
Funny, but tonight, I have been watching videos of Kawasaki H1 500's, and Suzuki T500 Titians.  I do love the old 2 strokes of my time, vs the perfection of my 08 C14.  If you've never owned or ridden a 2 stroke of significant cc's, you just won't understand.  I would definitely  love to own any 2 stroke from 350cc to 750, and blast the back roads in my locale, today.    Riiiing, ding-ding, ding-dddiiinnnnnggggg.....  Remember?
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #381 on: December 28, 2014, 11:07:07 PM »
I was going to ask the same question earlier today.  Kinda reminds me of the ceiling of some living rooms I've seen... ;D

What size lens?  Around an 18MM or so?

Hahaha noooo. Had i taken it with my 6d and 17-40 it wouldnt have the curved walls lol. I do real-estate and architecture photography for a living.  That was a panoramic with my phone. Heres another showing more of the garage from yesterday.
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #382 on: December 28, 2014, 11:35:51 PM »
Here my story. On Christmas eve I went for a ride [...] Christmas day I woke up to a swollen face and had to make a trip to the ER

I can relate more than you know.  When I was 18, on Christmas eve, I accidentally ate a nut (we still don't know what, probably a brazil nut).  I went into full anaphylaxis complicated by asthma.  Came very near death and was in intensive care all night and Christmas. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #383 on: December 29, 2014, 12:24:29 AM »
Filled it up with gas, adjusted the handlebars a bit, and tweaked the damping on the rear.  I nearly have it dialed in the way I want it.
Hey Jim, may I ask what method/instructions did you use to tweak the suspension? I've been spoiled by electronic suspension adjustments for many years, and will have to learn how to go about adjusting the Connie. I'm only 155# (sans gear), so might not have to tweak it that much. But like to corner aggressively, so might have to tighten the rear a little bit for what I've read (2015 Connies have stiffer rear suspension). And finally, do the handlebars have any adjustment? Didn't know about that. It'd be great if they do. As long as I'm leaning forward but not exerting pressure on my wrists, I'll be fine. Hope everybody had a great long weekend.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #384 on: December 29, 2014, 01:04:12 AM »
Funny, but tonight, I have been watching videos of Kawasaki H1 500's, and Suzuki T500 Titians.  I do love the old 2 strokes of my time, vs the perfection of my 08 C14.  If you've never owned or ridden a 2 stroke of significant cc's, you just won't understand.  I would definitely  love to own any 2 stroke from 350cc to 750, and blast the back roads in my locale, today.    Riiiing, ding-ding, ding-dddiiinnnnnggggg.....  Remember?

Yep, I kept reminiscing about the smokers I owned in my youth...Kawasaki J1t (85cc), Bridgestone 350 GTR, Husky250, CZ400, Suzuki GT550..

...did that a little more than a year ago..so much so that I was forced to make a Texas to Illinois round trip just to get me another one. In the winter  :loco: :nuts:.  It's an addiction I tell ya.

:offtopic:

Hmm returning to the topic...I stared at my Valentine 1 remote display (Valentine calls it a concealed display) on my Connie, trying to determine the best way to modify my magnetic mount so that it doesn't fall off when I hit successive bumps. I think I have it figured out but I won't go into it here until I'm sure it's fixed.

oh oh..off topic again...

.... for what I've read (2015 Connies have stiffer rear suspension).

I'm still doubtful about this, as some of the wording I've seen leads me to believe that the only difference is that the '15 bikes leave the factory with a higher rear preload dialed in on the same exact spring assembly as previous years.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #385 on: December 29, 2014, 04:12:56 AM »
Hey Jim, may I ask what method/instructions did you use to tweak the suspension? I've been spoiled by electronic suspension adjustments for many years, and will have to learn how to go about adjusting the Connie. I'm only 155# (sans gear), so might not have to tweak it that much. But like to corner aggressively, so might have to tighten the rear a little bit for what I've read (2015 Connies have stiffer rear suspension). And finally, do the handlebars have any adjustment? Didn't know about that. It'd be great if they do. As long as I'm leaning forward but not exerting pressure on my wrists, I'll be fine. Hope everybody had a great long weekend.

Everyone is different as far as setting the bike up for themselves.  Here's a good place to start:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15258.0

There wasn't any adjustment on the bars on gen1.  Not sure about gen2.  Don't know about the '15s.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #386 on: December 29, 2014, 06:23:13 AM »
There wasn't any adjustment on the bars on gen1.  Not sure about gen2.  Don't know about the '15s.

There are no adjustments on the bars of any C14 from the factory.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #387 on: December 29, 2014, 06:25:14 AM »
the wording I've seen leads me to believe that the only difference is that the '15 bikes leave the factory with a higher rear preload dialed in on the same exact spring assembly as previous years.

That is exactly what I believe, also (and will continue to do so until someone can show different part numbers).

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #388 on: December 29, 2014, 06:54:23 AM »
today I wiped mine down, it was due for its yearly wipe down.

It gets it, whether it needs it or not

Say its not true. I rode mine in the fog yesterday and felt obligated to rewash him today. Cant have my kids dirty!

Thank you Max. There ganging  up up me now and Im feeling weak. Thanks for your support. Here's the part about this that actually upsets me. I guess im kinda frugal and not wanting to spend $500 on an exhaust. I know that I want the cool sound of a pipe and the looks and weight.... Here my story. On Christmas eve I went for a ride around Lake Okeechobee. To get to the lake is about 50 miles if I take the back roads, which I did. So here I actually reached the lake and started to make my trek around, I was about 10 miles into the 110 mile circle, and I feel a thunk and sharp pain on my chin. To shorten the story, I was stung on the chin by a bee or wasp, I'm guessing. Anyways, Christmas day I woke up to a swollen face and had to make a trip to the ER for some meds. This brief ER visit cost me $300 for my co-pay. And thats the part that gets the panties in a wad. I needlessly spent 3/5 of my exhaust on an ER visit.

Sad but true!  I keep all my other bikes meticulous, but the C14 is strictly my mile eater.  I recently had it from Tampa to upstate Mississippi (with the heated gear), then Saturday across FL to meet our COG friends for the Dixie Crossroads lunch in Titusville.

On a side note I rode mine 90,000 miles before someone (Steve N Sunny FL) let me hold a stock muffler.  As soon as I felt the weight of that behemoth, I bought a used Vance n Hines in brand new condition.  Had it not been for that find, I'd have purchased the Area P, Kerry product is tops and he and his family are awesome to do business with.  Also all my other bikes and all I've owned in my life have had after market exhaust.  I intended to leave my mile eater stock until I felt the weight of that crappy thing. I wasted a lot of time and miles from canada to california running the crappy stock exhaust, and I rail my bike to the point I touch my left glove on the pavement - weight matters to me
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

sailor_chic

« Reply #389 on: December 29, 2014, 07:51:05 AM »
Sad but true!  I keep all my other bikes meticulous, but the C14 is strictly my mile eater.  I recently had it from Tampa to upstate Mississippi (with the heated gear), then Saturday across FL to meet our COG friends for the Dixie Crossroads lunch in Titusville.

On a side note I rode mine 90,000 miles before someone (Steve N Sunny FL) let me hold a stock muffler.  As soon as I felt the weight of that behemoth, I bought a used Vance n Hines in brand new condition.  Had it not been for that find, I'd have purchased the Area P, Kerry product is tops and he and his family are awesome to do business with.  Also all my other bikes and all I've owned in my life have had after market exhaust.  I intended to leave my mile eater stock until I felt the weight of that crappy thing. I wasted a lot of time and miles from canada to california running the crappy stock exhaust, and I rail my bike to the point I touch my left glove on the pavement - weight matters to me

Perhaps we met then on Saturday. Forgive me if we did, and my memory fails. I met a lot of nice people there and its hard to keep all the faces and names straight.

I understand about having a mile eater, and thats the intention for my C14 as well. But I want a clean mile eater. I know one day I will give in a buy a new pipe. I do like the V&H  pipe as my first choice. I did see that Delkevic has a slash cut pipe now, and is a reasonable price

Offline tomp

« Reply #390 on: December 31, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »
It's cold and damp, for Texas weather, so no riding.  Found this pic someone shopped, designing the best all around motorcycle.  A little super moto, a touch of V-Max mystery, and bit of Touring via a Concours 14.  Can't imagine how it would handle, but with the stock muffler, it sure would be a quiet ride.    A Happy and Safe 2015 to all.... tomp  Click on image to enlarge. .tp

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #391 on: December 31, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
 :o Enlarge! ! ! What can I click on to make it go away?

Offline tomp

« Reply #392 on: December 31, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »

Sorry. . . It is a well shopped photo, though. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #393 on: December 31, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »
I've always liked Mr. Max, but was afraid he would kill me.  I like it!  Don't care much for the front fender, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #394 on: December 31, 2014, 01:06:42 PM »
  Don't care much for the front fender, though.

Typical super moto/MX fender.  Looks better to me than the duck bills used on so many Euro Adventure bikes.  It's the dual rear brake set ups, dual passenger and rider pegs, that get to me.  Looks like someone started their  New Years imbibing early...  ;D ;D :o ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #395 on: December 31, 2014, 02:32:37 PM »

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Photoediting should never be so cruel!!

Offline tomp

« Reply #396 on: December 31, 2014, 02:48:31 PM »
Should just look like this, I believe, though I wouldn't try super motoing it.  OK to click to enlarge this one. . .AAAAAHHH, Silver.. . .

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #397 on: December 31, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
Should just look like this, I believe, though I wouldn't try super motoing it.  OK to click to enlarge this one. . .AAAAAHHH, Silver.. . .

That is a 1gen- wasn't available in silver (it is more like a silvery, light, baby-blue).  The only true silver C14 was the 2011 Atomic Silver.  :P

Offline tomp

« Reply #398 on: December 31, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »
That is a 1gen- wasn't available in silver (it is more like a silvery, light, baby-blue).  The only true silver C14 was the 2011 Atomic Silver.  :P

Neptune Silver or some such, right?  I used the word silver for the silverdammit folks.  I like the color of my Gen 1, best of all they have used over the years. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #399 on: December 31, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »
Neptune Silver or some such, right?

Neutron

I used the word silver for the silverdammit folks.

:)

I like the color of my Gen 1, best of all they have used over the years.

I like the Neutron color too, but it isn't ain't never not no silver :)