Author Topic: How-to: create custom routes/ride on internet maps, upload to NUVI  (Read 30212 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
It took me and my feeble mind quite some time and a little help to be able to go on the 'net, map a twisties route the way I want to go, and then upload the route to my Nuvi.

This thread serves two purposes:

1) Perhaps someone has a Nuvi that may enjoy uploading custom routes into it
2) It serves as notes for me so I can refer back to it

Directions:

Plug GPS into computer.

Go to a site
that allows one to create a custom route and map it. This one is simple enough not only for me but Hardly-Ableson riders too and is very useful: http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

Go to top right of web page and click "GPS SYNCHRONIZATION"

Let the page find your GPS, name and click to auto  "EXPORT STOPS AND WAYPOINTS"

When you see "export complete" click "CLOSE

Unplug GPS from computer and allow it to power up.

Now retrieve the route file by tapping "the wrench icon", then scroll and tap "my data", then tap (whatever you named that ride) and it should be checked, then "import". 

OK now go back and click wrench, then click "Custom Routes", and you will see your ride you made. Tap (select) it, and hit GO!

I'll be mapping out some wild rides to do in thr twisties between FL and upstate Maine and the mountains between

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: How-to: create custom routes/ride on internet maps, upload to NUVI
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:05:09 PM »
Awesome! I always wanted to figure out how to do this. So I tried it with my NUVI 3450 and successfully exported a GPX file from the HD website onto the device. On the device there is a folder called GPX and has routes I created on the device. However when I disconnect the NUVI from the computer and start it up, touch Settings (the wrench) I do not see "my data". Can't seem to find custom routes at all.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
Figured it out. On the NUVI 3450 once you have uploaded a GPX file, restart the GPS and from the opening screen:

Apps->Trip Planner

You should now see your custom route under the name you gave it.

I love it! I'm going use this on Saturday to ride from my home near Colorado Springs to Grants NM using all back roads.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:45:16 PM »
AWESOME!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
Now that you can do that, you must go here...

http://www.poi-factory.com/

This is where I get all of the fun points of interest that will pop up on the GPS if they are within a distance you specify.

I get all the mom 'n pop BBQ, sandwich, and ice cream places; Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives; Pure gas; TV show type restaurants; stinky places; off-beat tourist attractions, the list goes on and on.

edit: It will take a couple of hours (at least the first time) to go thru their site to get all of the things you want and download them.  You do need to sign-in.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:15:49 PM »
Now that you can do that, you must go here...

This is where I get all of the fun points of interest that will pop up on the GPS if they are within a distance you specify.

I get all the mom 'n pop BBQ, sandwich, and ice cream places; Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives; Pure gas; TV show type restaurants; stinky places; off-beat tourist attractions, the list goes on and on.

edit: It will take a couple of hours (at least the first time) to go thru their site to get all of the things you want and download them.  You do need to sign-in.

Thanks!  I just got a whole POI file full of lobster shacks in Maine for my upcoming trip.  Its legit too, because it contains the ones suggested to me already  ;D

Offline alpinecoach

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 10:23:33 PM »
cool- thanks!

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
  I have seemed to be able to find the "stinky places" with no problem since puberty! 
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 09:32:02 AM »
It took me and my feeble mind quite some time and a little help to be able to go on the 'net, map a twisties route the way I want to go, and then upload the route to my Nuvi.

This thread serves two purposes:

1) Perhaps someone has a Nuvi that may enjoy uploading custom routes into it
2) It serves as notes for me so I can refer back to it

Directions:

Plug GPS into computer.

Go to a site
that allows one to create a custom route and map it. This one is simple enough not only for me but Hardly-Ableson riders too and is very useful: http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

Go to top right of web page and click "GPS SYNCHRONIZATION"

Let the page find your GPS, name and click to auto  "EXPORT STOPS AND WAYPOINTS"

When you see "export complete" click "CLOSE

Unplug GPS from computer and allow it to power up.

Now retrieve the route file by tapping "the wrench icon", then scroll and tap "my data", then tap (whatever you named that ride) and it should be checked, then "import". 

OK now go back and click wrench, then click "Custom Routes", and you will see your ride you made. Tap (select) it, and hit GO!

I'll be mapping out some wild rides to do in thr twisties between FL and upstate Maine and the mountains between

I did all of this but my Nuvi 265WT won't display the custom route. When I plugged the GPS back in to the PC I can see that the route was stored on the GPS but it ain't workin!   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 09:36:46 AM »
Try thinking harder.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
That's what she said...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 10:33:43 AM »
The Hardley software is an application that uses Google maps as the underlying engine, just and the Honda software does. Along the same lines is Furkot which I find better than the others, at least at this time. It might be worth a look for those of you using Honda / Harley packages already- it is very similar but has a couple of changes, such as making waypoints obvious, that really help in using it.

Brian

<snip>
Go to a site[/b] that allows one to create a custom route and map it. This one is simple enough not only for me but Hardly-Ableson riders too and is very useful: http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 05:28:56 AM »
I did all of this but my Nuvi 265WT won't display the custom route. When I plugged the GPS back in to the PC I can see that the route was stored on the GPS but it ain't workin!

The 265 model does not support "routing".  You can however add custom POIs if you want to.  These are kind of neat in that you can set a proximity distance (buffer) for each set of POIs you load and when you get near one your GPS will alert you.  It’s a lot of reading at first to understand how to compile them into a file but actually pretty simple.  There are probably at least 1,000 to choose from and you can make your own with Excel if you want to.  Here’s the link, its free membership:

“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 07:56:40 AM »
The 265 model does not support "routing".  You can however add custom POIs if you want to.  These are kind of neat in that you can set a proximity distance (buffer) for each set of POIs you load and when you get near one your GPS will alert you.  It’s a lot of reading at first to understand how to compile them into a file but actually pretty simple.  There are probably at least 1,000 to choose from and you can make your own with Excel if you want to.  Here’s the link, its free membership:

Thanks!  :chugbeer:

I'll check this out and see what's what. A new GPS might be in my very near future.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:12:26 AM »
I got a Garmin 765T a few years ago when they were brand new.  Still running great and does routing.  These can still be found for a VERY good price.  They were $400 originally.  They were usually sold with life-time maps and traffic.  They are not waterproof but I have never had an issue.  If you don't mind used, the 2 below come with the special antenna/charger that gives you traffic reports.  Many other listings don't have it.  I don't know the replacement model number for this one.  Garmin probably does.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-nuvi-765-Automotive-Mountable-GPS-Receiver/181422716536?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D8635392645657696239%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D13%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D261439948115#ht_139wt_1124

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-nuvi-765T-Automotive-Mountable-GPS-Receiver/221499521806?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D8635392645657696239%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D261439948115#ht_25wt_1362