Author Topic: TPS Warranty Headache Albuquerque  (Read 21072 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: TPS Warranty Headache Albuquerque
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
Another happy graduate of the Cap'n Bob school of moderate responses.....  :roflmao:

Seriously, it is easy enough to stop the warning display- just push and hold the top button, then push and release the bottom button. The display will clear instantly.

As far as it being dangerous, there is really no critical information that I know of displayed on the LCD: vehicle speed and engine speed (RPM) are displayed via rotary gauges and do not depend on the LCD in any way. The oil pressure warning is a dedicated red LED on the display which is not combined in any way with the LCD display. You will certainly not run out of fuel while the warning display is flashing unless you let it go on indefinitely.

It is not so much that I like the warning display (I am ambivalent) as it is that I don't think it is worth getting upset over. I save up my adrenalin for more important things like world hunger and hangnails. The display on my C-14 is easy to override and in the meantime causes me no grief or concern when it starts flashing.

Brian

Kawasaki put this TPS and data display center on the C14. The TPS and many other parameters are now available to us on the display screen. When the TPS generates a FALSE "low battery" warning, the parameters we have become accustomed to are no longer available. Let me be clear... the lack of TPS data is not the concern. The concern is that NO data is presented on the display for 15 minutes.
This is what is referred to as an egregious violation of RISK MANAGEMENT. Kawasaki has taken responsibility to provide us with this information on the display when we use the motorcycle. Once that information removed due to a poorly designed part, they are liable for any accidents, damage, or death that occurs.
The sensor on the 2008 has been obsoleted and is no longer on the bikes. The false battery indication is caused by the characteristics of the lithium passivation layer batteries. The designers should know about this. It is common knowledge for electrical engineers.

If you think I am upset... your darn right I'm upset.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Bob

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 05:01:34 AM »
 Once again, that's not totally true. It's not "easy" to reset the display with gloves on (but can be done without major problems). It's much harder yet with heavier winter gloves on, and pretty much impossible in the dark!
 Another patented corporate response from Brian! Next he'll be giving you the speech on: there's nothing about this bike that's not perfect! This bike never has had trouble! His bike is such a quality bike (even though he's had more problems on his bike than just about anyone). Any problems are all in your mind! The Brian and Mark show continues on the Kawasaki corporate Chanel!  :rotflmao:

Another happy graduate of the Cap'n Bob school of moderate responses.....  :roflmao:

Seriously, it is easy enough to stop the warning display- just push and hold the top button, then push and release the bottom button. The display will clear instantly.

As far as it being dangerous, there is really no critical information that I know of displayed on the LCD: vehicle speed and engine speed (RPM) are displayed via rotary gauges and do not depend on the LCD in any way. The oil pressure warning is a dedicated red LED on the display which is not combined in any way with the LCD display. You will certainly not run out of fuel while the warning display is flashing unless you let it go on indefinitely.

It is not so much that I like the warning display (I am ambivalent) as it is that I don't think it is worth getting upset over. I save up my adrenalin for more important things like world hunger and hangnails. The display on my C-14 is easy to override and in the meantime causes me no grief or concern when it starts flashing.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 05:10:23 AM »
And he's not just a member of the Cap'n Bob society of resonable responses, he is also the president....

I can reset my display with the heaviest gloves I own, in the dark, using only one hand. The secret is in moving one's fingers.  ;D

I will see you tomorrow in Wellsboro. Try not to ride all the way there in fifth gear again.... oh, wait..... nevermind.

And I still cannot get that <roflmao> icon to work. This must be software from Yamaha or something.

Brian

Once again, that's not totally true. It's not "easy" to reset the display with gloves on (but can be done without major problems). It's much harder yet with heavier winter gloves on, and pretty much impossible in the dark!
 Another patented corporate response from Brian! Next he'll be giving you the speech on: there's nothing about this bike that's not perfect! This bike never has had trouble! His bike is such a quality bike (even though he's had more problems on his bike than just about anyone). Any problems are all in your mind! The Brian and Mark show continues on the Kawasaki corporate Chanel!  :rotflmao:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Bob

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2011, 05:13:06 AM »
 :offtopic:

I should be in Wellsboro by mid afternoon. Well that's the plan anyway!  :D

And he's not just a member of the Cap'n Bob society of resonable responses, he is also the president....

I can reset my display with the heaviest gloves I own, in the dark, using only one hand. The secret is in moving one's fingers.  ;D

I will see you tomorrow in Wellsboro. Try not to ride all the way there in fifth gear again.... oh, wait..... nevermind.

And I still cannot get that <roflmao> icon to work. This must be software from Yamaha or something.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2011, 05:26:17 AM »

We'll be there a little later, we are stopping to see that Union Pacific Big Boy in Scranton on the way.

Brian

I should be in Wellsboro by mid afternoon. Well that's the plan anyway!  :D

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »
Just got back home from the dealer for the TPS replacement under warranty. No hassles and no money outta my pocket.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2011, 06:36:01 PM »

Brian

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 05:40:14 AM »
SKINS ................try R and S up on Lomas I bought the bike from the Westside R and S and have it serviced close by in the heights.
3 years and they have taken good care of me . I got the same thing on the rear this winter but it happened again around 55 degrees I might go talk to 'em and see what they think
But I might be in the extended warranty now  a while back someone said they weren't covered by that.
Where you live ?
give me a shout sometime
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline Skins

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »
The service manager from the R&S Powersports dealer called me about the problem the other day and said he would personally try to get this fixed under warranty. The dealership owner is also aware of the situation.

Offline Skins

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Just got back home from the dealer for the TPS replacement under warranty. No hassles and no money outta my pocket.

What dealership gave you this excellent customer service? I am listing these dealerships who have provided the service to help build my argument and site previous examples of the work done under warranty.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 06:39:58 PM »
i feel bad for you guys, my dealer not only warrantied my sensors with no questions asked, they also went above and beyond and replaced the battery door bolt that snapped off last year that i drilled and tapped.

What dealer is this??? I didn't know we had a competent kaw dealer in the chicago area!@#

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »
Just got my bike back today.  They changed the sensors, and they installed the PR2's I brought in, all free of charge.  They also cleaned all the plastics.  Very good service.  This was at Ride Now Power Sports on Boulder Highway in Las Vegas.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 05:08:46 AM »
What dealer is this??? I didn't know we had a competent kaw dealer in the chicago area!@#

Yeah, do tell please!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »
sell it.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 08:34:13 AM »
sell it.

You're quite helpful aren't you? Not just in this thread either.   ::)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2011, 05:09:17 AM »
What dealership gave you this excellent customer service? I am listing these dealerships who have provided the service to help build my argument and site previous examples of the work done under warranty.

Thanks,
Steve

Thomas Honda/Kawasaki in Portage, IN.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2011, 04:08:40 PM »
+1 , That is where I had mine done under warranty

P.S.  They initially changed the wrong one, but made good and replaced both, it just took another hour.....
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »
I bet Kaw wished they never installed that system.....

Bob

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »
I bet Kaw wished they never installed that system.....

Me too! Mainly because of it's alter ego!  ;D

Offline Skins

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2011, 07:26:20 AM »
Rear TPS has been replaced. All is right. 8)