Author Topic: Ignition stuck in FSS position  (Read 12488 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Ignition stuck in FSS position
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 06:30:48 PM »
Not sure who you are asking but in my case, no. I ride all year and the bike rarely sits for very long although it did last winter 'cause the snow in the driveway would not clear.

Brian

Checked the battery and connections after I got home and found that both were loose. I removed the battery, cleaned up the connections and reinstalled. I also checked and cleaned the ground connection.
Hit the key, and it unlocked! Rode to work, and everything is back to normal.

Just one question- Do you use a baterry tender?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
Not sure who you are asking but in my case, no. I ride all year and the bike rarely sits for very long although it did last winter 'cause the snow in the driveway would not clear.

Brian

+1 Then I moved to TX and now it gets ridden every day. No tender needed.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 08:41:14 PM »
Hey Max
"Most automotive locks are hardened steel wafers sliding in a hardened steel keyway. They are lubed with waterproof grease. This is unlike many padlocks and home locks, which have ungreased brass parts sliding against steel. These can be usefully lubricated with graphite.

Putting graphite in a greased lock will gum it up. A solvent based spray will redistribute the existing grease, so almost any type will work. An alcohol based lock deicer has the least chance of depositing an incompatible lubricant."
 Boeshield T-9 does a good job of preventing rust without gumming up the mechanical parts. Graphite will clog & jam the lock mechanism over time and doesn't provide rust protection.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:41:35 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 11:51:26 PM »
Putting graphite in a greased lock will gum it up. A solvent based spray will redistribute the existing grease, so almost any type will work. An alcohol based lock deicer has the least chance of depositing an incompatible lubricant."   Boeshield T-9 does a good job of preventing rust without gumming up the mechanical parts. Graphite will clog & jam the lock mechanism over time and doesn't provide rust protection.

Hmm, now I don't know what to believe anymore!!!!  My world is shattering!!!

I do know that what appears to be the major problem with the gas tank lid is are the latches (below the lid).  They seem to form a white corrosion over time, making it harder and harder for the mechanism to move... which I guess is technically a type of rust, although it is not ferrous oxide.  Not sure what that material is.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 07:56:01 AM »

Brian

Actually Brian- i was asking the thread originator- Fixxer. As more people use battery tenders, they do fewer inspections on the battery connections. The battery tender may be a good idea, but how many threads have we seen from owners with poor grounds/connections? In the old days when we pulled our batteries each fall, and installed them in the spring, this issue wasn't as prevalent as it is today. Just my $.02, I also forget that not everyone is bogged down in snow during the winter.    chrs- mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 08:35:51 AM »
Well, that certainly sounds logical. ??

What strikes me as odd about these bikes is that the problem is so common yet once they are tightened (and I mean merely snugged up, not tightened by a gorilla) they stay that way. Strange behavior IMO. But it works out for us owners because it is not something we seem to need to attend to on any regular basis.

Brian

Actually Brian- i was asking the thread originator- Fixxer. As more people use battery tenders, they do fewer inspections on the battery connections. The battery tender may be a good idea, but how many threads have we seen from owners with poor grounds/connections? In the old days when we pulled our batteries each fall, and installed them in the spring, this issue wasn't as prevalent as it is today. Just my $.02, I also forget that not everyone is bogged down in snow during the winter.    chrs- mat
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »
Better save it Jim- I understand more vehicles will soon include KiPass (or HoPass, or SuzPass, etc.).

Take a look at this:

According to Kirby (I do not read Japanese, and I am not sure he does either) this article is blaming the plane crash in the photo on the LACK of KiPass and is urging the Prime Minister and the entire gov't of Japan to pass legislation requiring it on all new vehicles built.

Like I said, I don't read the language but that's what the little fella' tells me....

Brian

Umm.  You have the paper turned sideways.  That is why you couldn't read it.  ;)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 01:47:28 PM »
I've never used a battery tender on this bike.   As far as the battery connections staying tight once they are tightened..on my bike with the stock battery...they wouldn't stay tight.  I re-tightened them at every oil change.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »
Now that right there is funny. :-)  And I think you are right- told you I cannot read Japanese. Now I am starting to wonder if Kirby can read it either...

Brian

Umm.  You have the paper turned sideways.  That is why you couldn't read it.  ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
Wow, I think this is the first time I've heard of that happening Jim.

Brian

I've never used a battery tender on this bike.   As far as the battery connections staying tight once they are tightened..on my bike with the stock battery...they wouldn't stay tight.  I re-tightened them at every oil change.

Offline Fixxer

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 09:34:10 AM »
Checked the battery and connections after I got home and found that both were loose. I removed the battery, cleaned up the connections and reinstalled. I also checked and cleaned the ground connection.
Hit the key, and it unlocked! Rode to work, and everything is back to normal.

Just one question- Do you use a baterry tender?

Aspire,

I don't use a tender. Like Brian, I use my bike to commute to work every day.
Steve

2013 C14
Nocturne Blue

Offline Fixxer

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 09:35:42 AM »

I think I'll be following this route as well.
Steve

2013 C14
Nocturne Blue