Author Topic: GTR 1000 Carburettor  (Read 23401 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: GTR 1000 Carburettor
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2017, 05:54:40 AM »
Of all the parts I don't have, one is an air box.  I have almost everything else except the frame and forks.  I do have a complete (as near as I know) set of carbs that are already disassembled but the bodies are still bolted together as a unit.  The guts have been pretty much removed and put in solo cups inside a box.  They came with a parts bike I was given.  I you need them we could easily work something out.  From the sound of it, shipping would be the hardest part.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2017, 10:21:53 AM »
RFH87_Connie

That would be absolutely awesome. Sourcing local is just not working. Nobody here has any particular knowledge of the Connie. Would you mind letting me know where you are and the estimate weight? Let me see what the logistics and costs are. Maybe it's a very good option instead of grasping in the dark and hoping for a workable result. I am 53 and I work for a coach company here and our wages are not much by comparison to the USA. Connie is my only transport.....

My wife of 34 years this month has endured enough sacrifice the past 6 months while I try and get Connie to work properly. My greatest fear is not having transport to work.   

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »
Let's say 10 pounds (but it is probably less).  I am in the USA, Lorton, VA 22079.  Let me know the US dollar amount when you figure it out.  If/when the time comes, you can PayPal me something and I can send them on the same day or at least the next.  I will be out of town next week on a vacation.

We are the same age and married the same amount of time (at least by a few months).  Birthday May 3rd, anniversary is July 7th.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2017, 11:17:42 AM »
Probably cut from the same cloth 😎. Me 5th April 64. She 24 December 66. Our anniversary is in two weeks, 26 May.

I will start on it right away.

Leonard

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2017, 11:20:13 AM »
I am also looking for this cover. I can't find any here in RSA.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2017, 12:07:55 PM »
Most people mount a trunk there using the existing 4 bolts and a plate or bracket so you don't need it.  The first 2 pix are my mount to hold an off-brand trunk.  The third picture is "Rails" you can buy or make yourself that basically do the same thing.  Mine are overkill and you could park a car on it.  Had fun making them though.  The black panel is a large cutting board from a department store called Target.  The hardware is SS the rails are from a pop-up camper awning aluminum frame.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2017, 12:09:15 PM »
Side shot to show it needs to be angled back a little so the seat will come off.

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »
Sorry, I did not clearly describe my request.😑. I had a cover on here which came loose whilst riding. It's a plastic cover which fits over the frame I have circled. Mine also had the words CONCOURS GTR on the cover. I retraced my route looking for it but to no avail.

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2017, 12:24:21 PM »
Here is a picture

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2017, 12:26:29 PM »
Sorry, I did not clearly describe my request.😑. I had a cover on here which came loose whilst riding. It's a plastic cover which fits over the frame I have circled. Mine also had the words GTR 1000 on the cover. I retraced my route looking for it but to no avail.

I understand.  I was just saying most riders don't have it on the bike because a trunk can be mounted there so it isn't really necessary (and can interfere with mounting it).  Somebody may have one they would sell.  You could post a request in the wanted section and might find one.  Do you have the tool tray that sits on top of the battery?  Most of those have been removed or lost along the way.  There's also a tool kit in a pouch and a big lock and chain that was available as OEM that could sit in the tray.

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
Nope. I don't have the tools tray. Also I see on Steve's video installing carbs that there is a rubber absorber wrapped over the frame under the tank. I don't have that. Was going to see how I could fabricate this.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »
Polycord car tire scrap and cable ties I'm thinking might be the answer if you can't get OEM.  The rubber ones on the sides of the steering neck have a habit of falling into the fairing when removing or re-installing the tank.

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »
Good idea. Thanx. I was thinking industrial belt material. But your idea would work well.

I glued those rubber ones at the neck down long time ago.... Got tired of them falling off. 😎

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
I work for a coach and tour company. And I use to drive foreign visitor safari tours. Then got promoted. But I miss touring. So if any of you would like to enjoy a South African safari. Let me know. I can set you up or organise a tour for you. Maybe I can even be your tour leader.... Who knows if Connie is 100% stable I'll let you out with her for a day or so..... With the ZAR $ exchange as it is now. It should be very affordable....

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2017, 01:10:08 PM »
I think I have a tool tray that I could drop in the box also if you decide you want the carbs.  No charge - it has a broke tab where it wraps around the cross frame tube but should still work fine.

Maybe, just maybe, I might have that back cover too.  It might even be silver.

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »
Awesome......

Me and my coach a little more than a year ago

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
Somebody here said they have a airbox. Maybe they can get it to you to go in the box.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2017, 01:30:38 PM »
That's a possibility.  Post up an ad in the wanted section.  There is a guy with a screen name of Concours_to_go and I think he has a lot of parts bikes.  Maybe send him a PM.  Perhaps it could ship to me, then I ship the whole thing to you.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2017, 10:35:07 PM »
Your second photo is the one I was interested in.
On that photo, you measure outside to outside and inside to inside.
Measurement's you show,  indicate it's a 32, mm carb.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21875.0;attach=27919

As you know, it's not a Concours carb, but it is dimensionally correct.

If you have the carbs off now, give them a good cleaning, but clearly water was in the system.

Changing jets/needles etc: let's see what MOB /others have to say.
My guess is changing to connie parts (including slides) will help but not be exactly correct.
Air box will also help.

Ride safe, Ted

I've been having issues with my tablet, so I didn't see this...
but.... I'm still trying to find what carb he really has there....

and Ted, look closely, use math, subtraction... the bore diameter is the carb size...
his picture is showing a 30mm bore.... (133.5-103.5=30.0)

sorry to be wonky, but I'm just funny like that...
soooooooo.... not having any data on a 30mm K carb... I can't say much at this point... just don't damage anything...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2017, 06:14:38 AM »
Your probably right. I thought the camera was causing the numbers to look a bit smaller, and I thought he had confirmed the carb numbers? ( thought it was 103 and 133.5 or 134)
LT, please carefully measure ID to ID and tell us what you get...

Ride safe, Ted