Author Topic: first post, looking at c10's, vs... BMW RS, others...? seeking puchase advice  (Read 3927 times)

Johnny h

Hi everyone,  my first time on the forum..

I've  heard some great things about the Concours 1000, but not interested in the 1400, yet.  I own a BMW k75 and have added  16,000m  in three years.  Mostly just commuting and weekend cruising.  It was actually ideal for getting around Boston.  Free parking and a motorcycle beats the public transit, hands down.

The trouble is, I can't really cover the distances, at the speeds I'd like to, comfortably on the K.  So I've been looking around, doing some reading, and thought about the BMW 1150 but heard about the vibes from the BMW opposing cylinders, and that worries me.  The K is smooth, but I still get dead hands from time to time, so hoping to avoid anymore of that.  Then I began to look at Kawasaki, Honda, etc

A lot of things have pointed me here...  so I have some questions.

I found a 2005  C10 on CL, $1500  29K on the clock, but mentions some "trash in the carbs..."  starts, idles, and runs, but up to 45mph then starts to sputter.
    Should I rule this out?  I can manage an oil change, but since this would be a new bike to me, I'd need an able mechanic to go through it.  What else should I be worried about?  How much to bring it up to speed?  best case vs worse case?
(this is coming from ( at least) :P  the second owner after a couple "seasons"...)

The next is a 1999 C10 with 89K on the clock, $2000.  This is coming from a long time owner ( I assume) who said he put a new front suspension on it within the last 20K miles.  Maybe some extras, it's his daily bike, and it wasn't listed but after speaking to him about the BMW he'd listed, he said he'd sell the Connie for $2000. ;)

Originally, I was looking at BMW1100 RS, R1150R, and 1150 RS.  They might be great bikes, but I hear  around 80MPH they start to induce some heavy vibration. :o  I can't verify this, and realize everyone drinks their tea differently, but would like to hear some thoughts on these bikes, how they relate to each other and if mileage and maintenance trumps newer with an uncertain condition.  The posts I've read about vibration seems that people are ready to dump the Kawis until the vibration gets sorted.

my main goal is to be able to ride from Virginia to New York, Boston, and even Portland ME in one run.  AND hopefully still be able to walk when I get off the bike.

heres the C10 from CL needs work
https://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/6100237789.html

this is a BMW 1150RS I'm interested in; at the top of what I'd like to pay.
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/6086647560.html

then there's the question of value...   can I get a capable long distance tourer, without investing extra for repairs for $3-4000?

thanks a bunch.  I know it's a lot, but I've read some posts, and I know your up for it!! ;D
JH
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:05:43 PM by Johnny h »

Offline Summit670

I would be leary of the bike which doesnt run because of "trash" in carbs. Might be taking a big risk unless you condition the sale on the bike running well after carbs have been cleaned by the master.

I am selling my 87 with 84k and though it runs perfect, it is a 30 year old bike and when a prospective buyer tells me they want a bike for long distance trips, I am comfortable saying It would do a 1500 mile trip fine but one guy told me he wants to do a 3000 mile trip in a few weeks and it makes me kinda kringe because it is 30 years old.  If they have a mechanical aptitude, fine, prob not an issue.  If not mechanically inclined and not familiar with bike, it gets sketchy. 

Example - a few yrs ago going to CO, the bike dies out in middle of nowhere. Determined in a few minutes not getting fuel. Switched petcock to prime and saw fuel start flowing.  Problem was vacuum line to petcock was too soft and prone to collapsing when hot.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
If a K75 cant do it you are looking at supra legal speeds and are expecting too much from any bike.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Jim __

I've had my C10 for 5 years and love it, but .....

Given a choice between a ready-to-ride and a fixer-upper, I'd be all over that BMW.  Especially if I would be depending on a mechanic to do any/all the work on it.  With the Connie, you're looking at $$$ for a mechanic to inspect, $300+ for the carbs if you remove/install them yourself, the connie had no pictures of the luggage (those aren't cheap!), the connie has it's own "buzz" traits in the handlebars at highway speeds, probably needs tires, coolant system flush and new hoses, brake and clutch system flush, and your seller is only guessing at the "sputter" problems.  Either go for the C10 daily rider or gobble up that BMW and go out and ride.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:15:37 AM by Jim __ »

Offline Jim __

Here's some vids concerning working on the connie....

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/video-resources

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
The C-10 on CL seems to be a killer deal, even if it needs a little work. Could be the carbs, could be something else. An inspection from a reputable motorcycle shop might be advised.

A K75 (the infamous brickette) is quite the capable bike, if some what old. Most BMW's of that era required regular service on the drive train. I think it was a specific grease/lube on the transmission input shaft. Or: Remove the tranny every year, or every ?? miles, for lame maintenance chit :-/

The C-10 can be repaired on the side of the road with a cork screw, some barbed wire, and a pair of pliers. Mostly ;) But like most any bike, she'll complain if you don't ride her every few months. Stale fuel is a common issue with a C-10, everything else is rock solid.

I don't ride that much any more, but I have over 170k miles on my 10. I also maintain another 10, with 120k miles on the clock. That one leaves my shop mid May, and returns mid July. No major show stoppers in route. They get ya where ya wanna go (and back).

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Furbo

• Arena
The brakes and suspension on the BMW are far superior to the C-10. Tho, the price seems a bit high for a bike that old, and they are very $$ to work on because of that silly blue & white rondelle...

If there's nothing serious wrong with the Conc, it's a decent deal. Tho I suspect the issue is ignition or fuel flow related, and not carburation.   That said, C-10's are stone-aged to work on compared with even their contemporaries.

If cost is an issue - look for a better C-10. I found this one in Penn: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2003-Kawasaki-CONCOURS-121804014

Be advised, C-10's vibrate. I have 68K on mine, all in Europe at speeds that would land you in jail in the States. My hands suffer after a day of hwy riding, but I love the bike because of it's simplicity and reliability.   It's an 05, bought it for $5K with 2K miles on it, invested another $1500 in farkles (7th gear, suspension upgrades, and a sergeant seat). I adjust the valves and change the oil once a year and intend to put at least 100K on it before I sell it.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Too bad you don't live closer to the Midwest...oh, and...
Welcome  :chugbeer:  to the forum, Johnny!!!
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Johnny h

thanks for the feedback!

the K might do it, but would make me a little nervous, with the buffeting, and then there's comfort.  but yeah, Maybe I'm expecting/ hoping too much.  I want to be able to fly, and to float.  the K just seems a little skittish at supra highway speeds.  As somebody once said, they like to be just a little faster than traffic.  at those speeds, on some interstates, the K is a little nervous.  An easy 5500 rpm puts me a t about 70-75.  not enough to keep ahead on some roads.  As I progress in speed, the K starts to buffet and strain.   I always felt if I could get a bike that felt more secure at 80, could do 90, that would be great, (AND not get sideswiped by a strong breeze).

I went from a Yamaha 650 XVS cruiser to the BMW K75, and am interested in another step up in power, but not sure about the weight of the Connie.  I've read how heavy they can be...  I want the stability, just not sure if the weight will be too much.
 from 650cc to 750cc to 1000cc seems like a rather modest progression...  or is there a big jump from the 750 to the 1000?

Offline SaturationDyes

Johnny H
I am a new concours owner and don't have a lot of experience on road bike in general. I just got my concours up and running after 12yrs. It is a heavy bike but very stable at highway speed. And will happily do 80mph at 5k rpm. If that helps.

Offline deuce72

• 98 Concours
Johnny,

I went from a 1982 500cc Honda Silverwing to the 1998 C10 and no regrets!! I found the jump overrated about the heaviness. Don't get me wrong, a 7.5 gallon fuel tank that is full and you are going 10MPH through the lot you have to be always careful. But, I find that true with most bikes large or small. I have only owned two bikes though. As most have posted, the stability of the concours is great especially on the road. This bike was built for the highway! I live in MN and rode to Syracuse, NY and back. Hands did get a little tingly, but I did ride pretty hard.
     I'm surprised about your K75. I have only test rode the k100 and it did get buzzy at highway speeds. I heard that the K75's triple was smoother. Anyway, your choice.
     What year is your K75??

deuce
98 Concours

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
If you haven't read it yet I'll leave the link to a review I wrote a few years ago. Hope it helps.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=574.msg5229#msg5229

Offline jworth

• Arena
I'd check one thing on the Concours with "dirty carbs".  Look into it and verify that the "dirt" isn't from a rusty tank.  Rust in the tank on a bike like that would be a deal breaker for me.  I'd happily go through the carbs but trying to recover a rusty tank, no thanks.