Author Topic: Stupid question of the day  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Blkhat25

Stupid question of the day
« on: August 16, 2017, 11:19:27 PM »
Ok, admittedly I am a new owner of a Concours and know very little about the mechanics of this bike. I'm experiencing a problem with the ignition at around 2500 rpm, losing power, seems like one coil drops out intermittently, then kicks back in upon acceleration...
I've concluded from other posts on this site that it's probably the PICK UP COIL. So I ordered a set of coils. Then, the thought occurs to me that maybe I screwed up. So... what's the difference? Are the pickup coils different from ignition coils?
Thanks in advance and feel free to slap me in the back of the head. lol

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Stupid question of the day
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:18 AM »
Welcome!  You should tell us the year (best to put in your signature and/or avatar) and mileage of your bike for general troubleshooting info.  Also, no need for this to be in the open forum.  I don't know much about the coils...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 04:29:10 AM »
As soon as we know the year and model, I'll move it to the right place.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 05:31:25 AM »
As soon as we know the year and model, I'll move it to the right place.

Along with changing the subject :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »
:newbie:
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:47:37 AM »
Ok so first up to the best of my knowledge the GTR1400 does not have a pickup coil.

Putting that to one side the OP says it feels like its a single cylinder dropping out so potentially it could be a stick coil and/or spark plug breaking down.

It's probably easier(although not cheaper) to replace all 8 items(1 stick coil and 1 spark plug per cylinder) rather than trying to work out by trial & error which one it is.

Alternatively do a visual inspection of all the connectors and make sure they're secure, a touch of WD40 wouldn't hurt either.

Whilst it may help to know the year its not essential IMHO as the ignition system is pretty much the same across all years IIRC.

Same for the mileage, again interesting info however the symptoms are what the symptoms are, something could fail at 10 miles or 10,000 miles
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:48:21 AM »
oh and there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers :)
--

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 11:15:56 AM »
oh and there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers :)

and stupid mistakes...... ;D

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your purchase. Enjoy the read and the ride....
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 11:51:44 AM »
Ok so first up to the best of my knowledge the GTR1400 does not have a pickup coil.

But he says he's already ordered a set..so...

I'm thinking it's a C10? No? Yes?

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
But he says he's already ordered a set..so...

there is that option :D
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 04:09:25 PM »

If we knew the model year, that would certainly clear it up quickly...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 05:31:25 PM »
I'm thinking this is going to take awhile.   How many think it's a C10?  How many think it's a C14?

I'm thinking C10, but I could be wrong and reserve judgement to change my answer.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 08:10:55 PM »
What the heck, I'll guess weak battrie.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 10:02:41 PM »
Yeah, it is always battery related.

Offline Blkhat25

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 10:29:19 PM »
Ugh... so many questions... (drum roll please) it is a 2000 ZG 1000 (C10) and it has 11,000 miles. So, I answered my own question with a little more research, pick up coils, definitely NOT the same as ignition coils. (already gave myself a good swift "Gibbs smack" to the back of the head.)
So I attempted to cancel the order for the ignition coils and am now looking for new pick up coils locally.
I'll attempt to get a picture on here, but you already know what it looks like. I will also look for an appropriate avatar. Thanks to all who replied!

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 10:49:36 PM »
Ugh... so many questions... (drum roll please) it is a 2000 ZG 1000 (C10) and it has 11,000 miles.

Low miles, 17 years old. My money is on the carb(s).

FWIW, and YMMV, the ignition system is fairly bullet proof. If a component in the ignition system fails, it'll typically affect two cylinders. Sparkler plugs the exception.

You could dry a double/triple dose of "Tune Up in a Can". Run the bike low on fuel, add the "Tune Up in a Can" and start the engine for a few minutes. Let it sit for an hour or two, then *ride* the bike til almost out of gas. Approx 50 miles once you hit reserve. Refill the tank and burn out the remaining "Tune Up in a Can" on your way home.

If that doesn't work, pull the carbs (a major chore) and clean them on the bench. Bubba, I mean Steve in Sunny FL, does this as a service. He's quite good. *Your* issues will be removing the carbs and reinstalling them again. The rubber boots between the airbox and carb inlets will be quite stiff and hard, you may need a third hand too. Often warm air from a hair dryer will help soften them up at the install stage.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Blkhat25

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 11:27:03 PM »
Amazingly enough, I figured out how to upload images... So, here it is as received. 2000 ZG 1000,  11,000 miles.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 03:49:11 AM »
Somebody stole your mufflers.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 07:14:58 AM »
Yes, probably carbs.  Ignition problems normally don't improve with RPM.  These carbs have small passages that are prone to gumming up if left sitting.  As far as adding some type of cleaner to the fuel, it probably won't work if the passage is completely plugged.  Also, be careful on the concentration so you don't damage the rubber tips on the float needles.  Since it seems to run fine at higher RPM/throttle opening, it's probably something associated with the low speed circuit that's plugged (partial throttle).  Search around and you'll find 2000 to 2500 rpm is the magic number for this type of carb issue.  Other things to check is the air box to make sure it's not cracked.  Pull the filter and stick a light in there.  Go to this web site for instructions and repairs and some great information about your new ride.  Do a search on YouTube for Kawasaki Concours C10 and you'll find a bunch of other videos from Steve at Shoodabenengineering.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/video-resources

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »
OK gotta chime in here. check the ignition wires and the spark plug connectors. Remove the connectors by turning them counter clockwise. It is common for these to get corroded and cause strange stumbling etc. The resistance of the connectors should be around 5k ohms. If the wires are green by the connector then nip off 1/4 inch so you get fresh wire.