Author Topic: Tire dilemma How old is to old?  (Read 9250 times)

Offline kzz1king

Tire dilemma How old is to old?
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
I bought a pair of BS BTO 23's last fall.I installed the rear and am replacing it after 6000 miles. Has a bit left but is down to the bars. The Angel GT on the front has 11000 miles on it so will put the 23 on the front.

Here is the dilemma. Jake Wilson has the 190/55ZR-17 (75W) Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T30 EVO-GT Rear for $149 with a $25 per tire rebate but you need to buy a pair.I am thinking of buying 2 rear tires. Problem is the riding season is getting close to over. I will wear the first one out by the middle/end of next year and the second by middle/end of summer 2019.  I lnow it depends on how fresh the tires I get are but does this sound like a plan? I plan on the next front being another Angel Gt so dont want to buy a pair.

My tire history thus far.
Angel GT rear- 5000 miles. Got thin and got 2 gravel road punctures days a part.

Angel Front- 11000 miles. No cupping and the angel eyes are still showing. About a1 inch plus flat strip.

Bridgestone  BTO  23 rear- 6000. Right at the wear bars

Wayne

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Tire dilemma How old is to old?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »
The tires sitting in a "normal" temperature and humidity environment, out of direct sunlight, shouldn't deteriorate their life much at all.  So I wouldn't worry about it much.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 04:07:31 PM »
I put mine in plastic bags in the basement.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:48:46 PM »
Tires Jim, we're talking tires.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
Oh.....never mind then.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:56:25 AM »
From Avons website

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/faqs

"What is the age limit of Motorcycle Tyres?
The British Rubber Manufacturers Association advise tyres should be used within 6 years of manufacture. The tyre should then be removed after a total of 10 years. Avon recommend tyres should be used within 5 years of manufacture. The tyre should then be removed after a total of 7 years"

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 10:32:24 AM »
Tires Jim, we're talking tires.
Oh.....never mind then.
   :rotflmao:

You two should be on TV, or maybe a cruise ship act.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »
Turned out to be  moot point. Called in the order and they said I could still get the rebate for one tire. $25 a tire, limit of 4. I sure like doing business with Jake Wilson. New shoe  on day.
WAYNE
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
   :rotflmao:

You two should be on TV, or maybe a cruise ship act.

That's a great idea.   I can be the ventriloquist and well, you know, the other part of the act could be filled in by you know who.. ;)

Wait a minute, we already have a ventriloquist as a member!  Hopefully he can give us some tips.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »
 :-\

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 07:55:59 PM »
 :)   Endless fun.... :rotflmao:

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 08:02:55 AM »
An old couple...married for a long time....very comfortable with each other........really heartwarming to observe......  :grouphug:
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 08:55:47 AM »
That's a great idea.   I can be the ventriloquist and well, you know, the other part of the act could be filled in by you know who.. ;)

:)   Endless fun.... :rotflmao:

.....very comfortable with each other........

Quote from: gPink

Sorry 'Pink, no strings, all indications are that he wants his hand up your bum so he can put words in your mouth.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »
I might dance to his tune but that's as far as it goes.... :o

Offline PH14

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »

Wait a minute, we already have a ventriloquist as a member!  Hopefully he can give us some tips.

I think you guys are doing fine on your own.  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 11:19:36 AM »
Glad to hear it worked out for you Wayne.

I think we can all see that these guys are not going to be of any help. One apparently has his arm up the..... well, you get the picture.

But as to the general question: I do not know how long tires stay 'fresh' but the only ones I have seen that are clearly old and in bad shape, with cracked and checked sidewalls, are really very old- more than 20 years old. In fact, I had a lawn tractor cart tire that would not hold air, so I filled it with that 'Flate a Flat' foaming junk and it literally oozed out of both sidewalls of the tire. Guess I got my money's worth out of that one. And as it turns out, a Harbor Freight tire changing machine will not adjust small enough to grab that little wheel so I wrestled with the little guy all over the garage floor. I am confident it would have been hysterical... if only someone else was sweating and losing a lousy contest to begin with.....

Brian

Turned out to be  moot point. Called in the order and they said I could still get the rebate for one tire. $25 a tire, limit of 4. I sure like doing business with Jake Wilson. New shoe  on day.
WAYNE
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
Thanks! ADD is rampant around here. 8)
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 02:35:56 PM »
Yeah but it is part of the place's charm.....

But seriously, this thread got excessively de- railed. Normally, in and amongst the fun, your question will get answered. And in a case like this, by all means 'bang on the door again' by asking the question all over again, perhaps even in a new but identical thread, assigning a number or using the word "AGAIN".

This is a <usually> fun mix of camaraderie and knowledge..... but sometimes the camaraderie (which is what I am calling the 'Dummy and dirty arm' show) gets in the way.

;) ;D

Brian

Thanks! ADD is rampant around here. 8)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
Yep. I get a lot of very useful info here as well as plenty of entertainment
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »
Well then it is worth every penny you paid for it....   ;) ;D

Brian

Yep. I get a lot of very useful info here as well as plenty of entertainment
Wayne