Author Topic: Tire dilemma How old is to old?  (Read 9247 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Tire dilemma How old is to old?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
And in a case like this, by all means 'bang on the door again' by asking the question all over again, perhaps even in a new but identical thread, assigning a number or using the word "AGAIN".

Yeah, that's all we need, something else to get max' all stirred up about.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »
Yeah, that's all we need, something else to get max' all stirred up about.

Yep, nothing better than dozens of nearly identical threads...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 12:39:48 PM »
Nice Marty, now ya' got the beast half- awake and watching us.....

:-)

It is OK Max, storage is getting cheaper every day. Or as Michael Scott said: "Limitless paper for a paperless world" in the company ad.   :rotflmao:  Because really, if you are going to cull all the good from the bad and get rid of the bad, which two threads would you keep, and do we really need both of them?

Brian

Yep, nothing better than dozens of nearly identical threads...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
Sorry, I figured the post from mikeyw64 had cleared it up.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 02:21:48 PM »
It is OK Max, storage is getting cheaper every day. Or as Michael Scott said: "Limitless paper for a paperless world" in the company ad.   :rotflmao:  Because really, if you are going to cull all the good from the bad and get rid of the bad, which two threads would you keep, and do we really need both of them?

It isn't about storage, but having to wade through more stuff later when trying to find something and also re-answering the same questions over and over.  Many new threads have weak response because people already spent significant time on the topic in the past.  I prefer to try and point people to previous discussions as answers, when possible (there is a LOT of good stuff out there).  Of course, nothing is perfect, but...

which oil is best for the Concours?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 02:25:33 PM »

depends whether you're talking about engine oil, final drive oil, general lubricating oil, snake oil ?

You really need to be more specific  ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 02:27:12 PM »
Sorry, I figured the post from mikeyw64 had cleared it up.

cheers

and for those who like to provide links to existing forum posts here it is :)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22704.msg281431#msg281431
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »
LOL

That might be a little circular.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
It isn't about storage, but having to wade through more stuff later when trying to find something and also re-answering the same questions over and over.  Many new threads have weak response because people already spent significant time on the topic in the past.  I prefer to try and point people to previous discussions as answers, when possible (there is a LOT of good stuff out there).  Of course, nothing is perfect, but...

Ok whilst that may be true for people who have been here since the year dot not everyone remembers or reads every single thread especially if they cam in somewhere between the start & the present.

Yes this may be a new thread on a subject that has been covered before and some individuals may find it a little irritating  and enjoy posting multiple links to previous threads on the same topic  with the view that is useful however..................

If it hadn't been for this thread I wouldn't have provided the answer I did which I'm reasonably certain hasn't been given before.

:D
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 02:47:38 PM »
Absolutely and utterly true. But no way around it that I know of.... other than perhaps much stricter moderation, which will not work either 'cause if some (most? almost all?) of us cannot squeeze in a joke or a snide remark or go OFFTOPIC: somewhat, I suspect there will not be many posters.

OFFTOPIC: is about everything I can think of to do to mark a post as not relevant to the current conversation.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
And seriously, that is great for information purposes for the readers. A link beats the hell out of what I normally say which is something like 'more information around here if you look', which is my lame- butt way of saying I cannot remember where it is.

Anywya, this thread has gone on long enough that any tires that were new when it was started are surely ozone- attacked and dead by now anyway.

:-)

Brian

cheers

and for those who like to provide links to existing forum posts here it is :)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22704.msg281431#msg281431

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
This Post not relevant to the main thread
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2017, 02:54:01 PM »
you could always edit the subject line to help make the point ;)

Absolutely and utterly true. But no way around it that I know of.... other than perhaps much stricter moderation, which will not work either 'cause if some (most? almost all?) of us cannot squeeze in a joke or a snide remark or go OFFTOPIC: somewhat, I suspect there will not be many posters.

OFFTOPIC: is about everything I can think of to do to mark a post as not relevant to the current conversation.

Brian
--

Offline B.D.F.

Re: Tire dilema, how old is too old? < I think>
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »
Personal preference but I never do that and do not care for it; I remember thread names and when they change, without starting a new thread, it confuses me. When I log in and see the 'new since last time' titles, I think the changed thread titles are new threads and may ignore a thread I was watching or go read a thread I could not care less about. Oh, the horror....

Remember, we are Colonists after all..... :-)

Brian

you could always edit the subject line to help make the point ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »
Ok whilst that may be true for people who have been here since the year dot not everyone remembers or reads every single thread especially if they cam in somewhere between the start & the present.

Search is handy

Yes this may be a new thread on a subject that has been covered before

This whole thing was a topic change (which I didn't initiate).  This thread is a new (and even interesting) question that has never been asked before (to my knowledge).  I was responding to a generalized tease that has nothing to do with this thread.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Tire dilema, how old is too old? < I think>
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »
Personal preference but I never do that and do not care for it; I remember thread names and when they change, without starting a new thread, it confuses me.

Changing an existing thread subject is rarely warranted unless the original subject was meaningless such as:

Help needed!
What do you think?
What does this error mean?
Best stuff ever

All threads tend to drift, those that drift too much (at least into another specific subject instead of just chatter) "should" be split into new threads, but that isn't typical for zggtr.org.  Admittedly it can be confusing to split threads.

Offline PH14

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 08:32:54 PM »
Speaking of tires, how bout that nitrogen?   :stirpot:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 10:16:42 PM »
Well it wasn't all for naught, I found out that V'Jim has a basement.  :)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Adding fuel to the fire
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 11:50:54 PM »
I was responding to a generalized tease that has nothing to do with this thread.

But surely that has the same overall effect as indulging in the teasing and adds to the post count in a thread without contributing anything of value to the thread ?

:popcorn:

--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 11:52:07 PM »
Speaking of tires, how bout that nitrogen?   :stirpot:

I run 78% nitrogen in my tyres  ;D
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
BTW
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 11:57:58 PM »
It's changinging the "Post" subject line *not* changing the "Thread" subject line, only The OP or a Mod can do that :D
--