Author Topic: Need help deciding between a 2015 and 2017 C14  (Read 5357 times)

Offline eng943

Re: Need help deciding between a 2015 and 2017 C14
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 05:03:34 AM »
Makes sense on the battleship/handing thing and such.

But unless we are talking about ongoing maintenance costs (which we do know are higher for BWM), you already lost your shirt by buying the K16.   It is hard to recoup unless you found someone willing to pay super-top-dollar (hopefully you did).

I would ask you what you will miss the most about the K16, but you kinda implied it already by what you immediately plan to add to the C14 that you didn't have before on the C14- cruise control.

Good points and spot on. Unfortunately, the reality of depreciation is inescapable next week, or two years from now. Eventually the piper has to be paid and the loss gets realized. I'll sell it outright in the spring, to reduce the hit on the negative equity. The K16's have depreciated VERY hard. BMW brought too many in during 2015/2016 and they consequently languished to the point that BMW started offering several thousand in cash back to K16 purchases. As recently as a month ago you could buy a new 2016 for 19,900 on a bike that had a $27,000 MSRP. They have since changed their ways on the number of K16's being brought in.

It has been a frustrating ownership experience to watch as used GS's and RT's have held their value more appreciably as my K16 value fell like a rock, and then to add insult to injury be handed a bill for $200.00 for a simple oil change and making $350.00 monthly payments. Enough is enough at this point, and I'm willing to take the loss at this point to escape this experience. 

Trading bikes or cars off after 2-3 years of ownership is never pretty regardless.     
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:31:17 AM by eng943 »
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline O.C.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 10:11:39 AM »
Interesting as the adjustable vented screen was introduced in 2015 and that o paper the 15/16 & 17 year models are identical spec on paper other than colo(u)r

Wonder if your 15 was actually an unregistered 14 model?

Anyways  presuming the 15 has the following features (highlighted the easiest to spot) I would get that

Kawasaki made numerous minor changes in 2015 that include a revised first gear ratio, different steering stem seal for lighter steering at low speed, stiffer rear suspension for enhanced carrying capacity, an adjustable vent in the windshield, revised ABS programming to reduce the linked braking effect, a new rear luggage base, silver bezels on the analog dash meters, elongated mid-pipe heat shield, change of warning lamp color from red to yellow, tank pad, cushions on passenger pegs, and a more deeply sculpted seat. The revised parts should all be backwards compatible with previous model years. Kawasaki also shifted the North American models to use the oxygen sensor that had previously only been used in the other world markets. Color options of Candy Lime Green for USA/Canada, Metallic Spark Black for all markets, and Metallic Moondust Gray for Europe.

You are way of the mark Mikey.

The 2017 model had a number of changes one being an OEM fit vented screen, which didn't appear before the 2017 model year, different clock surrounds was another change

My 2017 bike was just that my friend...I've had enough of them to know the differences  ::)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 10:30:53 AM »

The 2017 model had a number of changes one being an OEM fit vented screen, which didn't appear before the 2017 model year, different clock surrounds was another change

My 2017 bike was just that my friend...I've had enough of them to know the differences  ::)   

My info admittedly came from Wiki as unfortunately I cant find anyhwere where their press packs are archived/

HOC does it for the Honda stuff

http://www.hoc.org.uk/gallery/

Out of interest what the 10th digit of your VIN on your 17  plate?
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »

Actually the kawasaki parts fiche support the wiki statement as for the 2015 model year it shows the revised windshield with vent which isn't present if you look at the 2014 models backwards

http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/road-bikes.html?blockref=99912-1648.G-12&machineid=792&year=2014&model=ZG1400CEF&country=GB

http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/road-bikes.html?blockref=99912-1947.G-09&machineid=5493&year=2015&model=ZG1400EFF&country=GB

Dare I say it (with no offence intended)  but maybe the bikes you bought that were registered in maybe 15/16 were actually previous model year bikes that were registered new in 15/16 ?

--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 03:19:56 PM »

Wikipedia is correct, all those changes were for the 2015 model year.  There were no changes at all to the Concours 14 after 2015 except color (that we know of, anyway).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline O.C.

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 11:43:40 PM »
Actually the kawasaki parts fiche support the wiki statement as for the 2015 model year it shows the revised windshield with vent which isn't present if you look at the 2014 models backwards

http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/road-bikes.html?blockref=99912-1648.G-12&machineid=792&year=2014&model=ZG1400CEF&country=GB

http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/road-bikes.html?blockref=99912-1947.G-09&machineid=5493&year=2015&model=ZG1400EFF&country=GB

Dare I say it (with no offence intended)  but maybe the bikes you bought that were registered in maybe 15/16 were actually previous model year bikes that were registered new in 15/16 ?

Mikey, I owned a 2008 GTR (Black) when they were first launched, which I changed for a 2009 Blue) model year bike, I then purchased a Green (fastest colour) in 2010 and finally a 2016 model year the following  link might explain things for you

I have no objection to purchasing a pre registered or previous model year bike, but this did not happen to be so in my case. My bikes were not unregistered or pre-registered machines.  ;) 

https://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/kawasaki/models/sports_tourer/1400gtr 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 12:57:44 AM »
Mikey, I owned a 2008 GTR (Black) when they were first launched, which I changed for a 2009 Blue) model year bike, I then purchased a Green (fastest colour) in 2010 and finally a 2016 model year the following  link might explain things for you

I have no objection to purchasing a pre registered or previous model year bike, but this did not happen to be so in my case. My bikes were not unregistered or pre-registered machines.  ;) 

https://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/kawasaki/models/sports_tourer/1400gtr

Even the link provided doesn't tie in with your earlier statement that "The 2017 model had a number of changes one being an OEM fit vented screen, which didn't appear before the 2017 model year" as it refers to a 2016 bike (although it does say there introduced for 2016).

Either way all of your earlier ones were pre 15/16 so naturally would not have had the vented screen ;)
--

Offline O.C.

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »
Even the link provided doesn't tie in with your earlier statement that "The 2017 model had a number of changes one being an OEM fit vented screen, which didn't appear before the 2017 model year" as it refers to a 2016 bike (although it does say there introduced for 2016).

Either way all of your earlier ones were pre 15/16 so naturally would not have had the vented screen ;)

Yes..... ok..... correct..... I was responding to OP thread which queried the differences between 2015 and 2017 which is obviously where the confusion came in, I was of course referring to the model year 2016 which saw the introduction of the OEM vented screen plus other 'improvements'

Hope that you are happy now and can enjoy a peaceful nights sleep  ;)   

CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »
Yes..... ok..... correct..... I was responding to OP thread which queried the differences between 2015 and 2017 which is obviously where the confusion came in, I was of course referring to the model year 2016 which saw the introduction of the OEM vented screen plus other 'improvements'

Hope that you are happy now and can enjoy a peaceful nights sleep  ;)   

no no no

vented screen was introduced infor the 2015 model year ;)
--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »
Easy there Mike, you are winning the argument. But it looks like the opposing force will only give in one year at a time.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I do not blame him though, I am still reeling from the change in the instrument light color change way back when- I love the red instrument lights on the Gen. 1 bikes and do not care for the white lights introduced in 2011 at all..... or was it 2010?  ;D

Brian

no no no

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2017, 12:28:45 PM »
Red instrument lights are sooooooo much nicer :)

Easy there Mike, you are winning the argument. But it looks like the opposing force will only give in one year at a time.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I do not blame him though, I am still reeling from the change in the instrument light color change way back when- I love the red instrument lights on the Gen. 1 bikes and do not care for the white lights introduced in 2011 at all..... or was it 2010?  ;D

Brian
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2017, 01:00:09 PM »
I am still reeling from the change in the instrument light color change way back when- I love the red instrument lights on the Gen. 1 bikes and do not care for the white lights introduced in 2011 at all..... or was it 2010?  ;D

It was the 2010 model, gen2 change.  And white is soooooooooooooooooooo much better than red :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »
Yeah, I know. The reason I put it like I did was "humor" 'cause the other two guys are inching their way to the actual year when the changes they are talking about happened.

As far as the inst. lights, I know you are in the majority but I really, really like the red lights. Especially just as they become visible as daylight fades. My next C-14 will certainly have the white lights, and I will give them a try but I can see red LEDs and a little soldering work in my future.

Brian

It was the 2010 model, gen2 change.  And white is soooooooooooooooooooo much better than red :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2017, 05:07:05 PM »
As far as the inst. lights, I know you are in the majority but I really, really like the red lights. Especially just as they become visible as daylight fades. My next C-14 will certainly have the white lights, and I will give them a try but I can see red LEDs and a little soldering work in my future.

What we should have, what ALL vehicles SHOULD have, are tri-colored LED's.  For about $2 more per vehicle, the users could select whatever dash light color(s) they want!  Bam, done.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »
Just a random thought but that may not be possible..... I am not sure but perhaps vehicles are type approved with the instruments as they are tested by the DOT? As I said, just a random thought.

As far as the C-14 specifically, I think Kawasaki did 'the right thing' in changing them; I have had mine since the early days (July 2007) and I well remember all the complaining about the red instrument lighting. And judging by the general feedback, at least from what I have seen in my very un- scientific method of scanning this forum, it seems that white lighting has been well received. Ya' gotta' go with the masses if ya' wanna' sell stuff. So I never mind when things like this happen (they changed to a color I do not like as much). Besides, I can still R&R the smallest surface mount LED's, or at least the smallest that I have ever seen, so no problem for me. And I actually have to buy a Gen. 2 C-14 before it is even a real problem anyway.  :-)

Brian

What we should have, what ALL vehicles SHOULD have, are tri-colored LED's.  For about $2 more per vehicle, the users could select whatever dash light color(s) they want!  Bam, done.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 12:44:32 AM »
no no no

....you're getting boring now Mikey   >:( 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 12:46:57 AM »

....you're getting boring now Mikey   >:( 

Nah boring was the way the drivers were introduced at the start of the F1 race from Austin yesterday ;)
--