Author Topic: Shipping a Bike  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Surf Concours

Shipping a Bike
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:09:45 AM »
Anyone know a reliable Bike Shipper? Thanks!

Offline kzz1king

Re: Shipping a Bike
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 12:27:08 PM »
This is the company I used. Worked well for me. Good luck. 8th
http://www.funtransport.com/
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 12:29:14 PM »
One more thing. I called up a few larger mc sales. One of the guys gave me the numbers of 3 he used and the above was one of them.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 05:38:05 PM »
AMA member?  Discounted rate with Federal (877) 518-7376.

Forget who I used to haul Dirty Grrrl from PHX to BFE, FL but it was spendy. Like 1,200+

Might be the same cost as having a riding buddy you trust ride the machine, fuel for both, and fly him home but that's 1,500 miles you didn't put on the bike yourself.    ???   
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 06:08:01 PM »
My cost was 750 if I remember right
 From Lousiana to North Dakota.

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 05:57:37 PM »
Nice!

That amount was before AMA membership and doesn't apply to the company I used in 2012.    :)

https://motorcycleshippers.jcmotors.com/shippingorders.aspx
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline pmcn500

• +A GGH IIG HGHA
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »
Not sure if this might be an option.....https://www.shiply.com/
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1996 Honda Hornet 250

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 06:41:03 PM »
I used Federal and shipped 2 bikes to north of Portland, so it had to go to the Portland depot, then a guy's house, separate truck. Cost $590 per bike.

I plan on using them again this year to ship to Reno.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Rob9876

• Beginner Motorcycling
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 10:20:53 PM »
I have used uShip (the service that eBay is partnered with) for the last 2 motorcycles (Versys, then Concours) that I had to ship, and I have had good results both times.  You basically take bids and haggle a bit through the process, but you can see reviews from prior customers and get information about insurance, etc.  Both times it was much cheaper than going with more traditional shippers. 
2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (sold)
Beginner Motorcycling

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 09:30:07 AM »
Never had any dealings with these people or even shipped a bike for that matter. Haulbikes.com only ships bikes. Being that they specialize in it, I would have to try them.

1-888-haulbikes
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 07:50:46 AM »
Never had any dealings with these people or even shipped a bike for that matter. Haulbikes.com only ships bikes. Being that they specialize in it, I would have to try them.

1-888-haulbikes

Old thread. But good info.

I got a quote from Haulbikes 2 weeks ago and for Central Cali to NC it was $740.

I didn't contact anyone else as I was just getting an idea of cost, but when it gets closer, I may shop around.

Or, I might ride the bike across country if I have the vacation time to do so after we move. We will see. I had considered selling the bike here and buying a new one closer, but that means I would need to get the mods that I like done again, which increases the cost.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 08:28:44 AM »
Update on my move. We are now in North Carolina and I did use HaulBikes, although it was not without it's issues.

The quote came in and the pick-up window is a 2 week window, which I felt was fine. We were planning on leaving Ca on July 2 so I had the window from June 20- July 1.  June 29 rolls around and we have not heard from them yet with the "scheduled pickup day/time", so I called and they said that the current estimated pickup date was July 13. WTF??? We won't be in Ca at that time as the delivery window for all our stuff meant we needed to be in NC by then. They remind me that it says that the pick-up window is an "ESTIMATE". Come on, I know there are issues with supply chain still, employee issues and all that, but they knew about this booking in mid-May and could not make it work.

We scrambled to find a place/person that could hold the bike until the pick-up window as we had no other options at the time and no dealers would hold it, so we ended up talking to our realtor who said that we could put it in their garage and that all worked out, the bike got picked up on July 10.

So, fast forward to August 3 and we have not heard where the bike is, so I call them and it's still in the Vegas warehouse, which means it still needs to hitch a ride to their Pennsylvania warehouse and then get to us. They didn't even have an estimated date for delivery. A week later, Aug 10, we get an e-mail saying delivery is scheduled and the window is Aug 13-15. Fine, great. Then the driver texts me with the 13th at 8am, fine. Then on the 12th, he texts saying he is ahead of schedule and how about that afternoon around 4pm. Perfect!

So, we met him in a parking lot of a Dick's sporting goods, since it has plenty of room for a 90 foot truck/trailer and he rolls the bike off the trailer and it is perfect. No issues at all. I was very happy the bike started since it had not been started in 1.5 months. Rode it home and all is well again.

So the short story is, it works and the bike was perfect, but they don't have a reliable timetable.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 03:24:18 PM »
Wow, that is CRAZY. But I am glad you have it and it is safe!!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 06:50:53 AM »
Wow, that is CRAZY. But I am glad you have it and it is safe!!!!

I wasn't worried, since they automatically cover you for $15k of insurance!
Scott