Author Topic: Shoodeben Mountain vs Eco mpg  (Read 2641 times)

Offline katata1100

Shoodeben Mountain vs Eco mpg
« on: April 21, 2018, 05:13:03 PM »
I went for good ride for the first time since switching from Guhl to mountain tuning.I also added a 18”
slip on and mcruise. Bike has a calsci windshield too. Tire pressure was 43lbs front and rear.
All driving highway to a nearby town and back, speeds of 65-75mph.
Mountain tuning-49.0
Eco mode-54.7
I think 49 was pretty good. I was shocked that I got 54.7 out of eco though. Both ways, I made generous use of mccruise. It worked flawlessly. I think of eco mode as like driving a carbed bike that really needs a jet kit- lean, can be hard to keep at constant speed. The mcruise has no problem with it.
Bottom line- if you want better mpg, stick with the eco mode and install a mcruise. Eco will only see use when slabbing.
In the city, switch back and forth between eco and the mountain tuning and it’s pretty obvious the difference. Not dissing mountain tuning at all, it really opens up the power and helps driveability. But if you’re on the interstate with cruise control set, eco mode is the one to use.
With the new slip on, cruise control and tuning, it really feels like a different bike👍

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: Shoodeben Mountain vs Eco mpg
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
Just curious, did you do one mode all the way to your destination and then the other mode all of the way back?  The reason I ask, is when I rode from the Central Valley CA down to Las Vegas, we were riding with the “jet stream” and I was getting great gas mileage.  On the way back, we were in a head wind and my mpg suffered immensely.  I was on the stock flash at the time and had not done any upgrades to my ECU yet.  (‘09 Connie, one mode only)
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 05:33:52 PM »
Yes I did. This was one of those rare days here where there was no wind. Going there with shodaben mountain, I did have to do 45 in traffic for 1/2 mile, but I didn’t have to use the brake . If anything, might have slightly helped mpg. Otherwise, free running. Also, with mccruise engaged, it actually almost makes instant mpg readable.
I did no hard take offs, just kept it at speed , CC engaged. Very curious to see what kind of mpg I’ll get next road trip.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 09:29:05 PM »
The only time I ever use FEAM is when I am low on fuel and trying to stretch it a bit.  Having FEAM on is like riding with a wet rag stuck in the intake :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 12:38:57 AM »
If your cruising at a steady speed of 65mph, what benefit do you get from using the regular mod instead of the eco one?
Waiting to use it only when your almost out of fuel doesn’t make sense , it’s like buying flood insurance after your house got destroyed by a flood.
Slabbing on the interstates, I can probably get an extra 20 Miles using eco mode.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 05:32:23 AM »
While that is true, I generally just don't care about the few MPG and don't want to have to switch in and out of FEAM constantly (I want to be ready to zoom).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:42:26 AM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 08:57:18 AM »
If your cruising at a steady speed of 65mph, what benefit do you get from using the regular mod instead of the eco one?
Waiting to use it only when your almost out of fuel doesn’t make sense , it’s like buying flood insurance after your house got destroyed by a flood.
Slabbing on the interstates, I can probably get an extra 20 Miles using eco mode.

I think it’s just human nature.  When you have a full tank, you’re not worried about getting every mile you can.  You cruise at 80-90, romp on the gas, not a care in the world.  Then that blasted low fuel warning starts flashing at you, and you think “Oh sh#t, where’s the next gas station??  Can I make it 30 more miles??”  That’s when every mile counts and you slow down to 55, letting everyone pass you that you just zipped by... 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 09:42:19 AM »
Out in the West , there are areas where you might not see another gas station for 60+ miles , and some of them will charge dearly for it. I think the worst was some stretches in UT.
That mode deserves a second thought.
And, with the mcruise doing it’s thing, both modes feel identical. When I did my two runs yesterday, most of the time, my hand was merely resting on the throttle grip.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 10:28:39 AM »
That mode deserves a second thought.  And, with the mcruise doing it’s thing, both modes feel identical. When I did my two runs yesterday, most of the time, my hand was merely resting on the throttle grip.

Sure, if you are not ever really accelerating, there won't be any noticeable difference between regular and FEAM, but the fuel savings isn't as much in those cases either (at least I haven't noticed as much), especially when the "regular" map is reflashed and actually more efficient than the stock regular (non-FEAM) map.

Ironically, all this talk about the FEAM and I used it today on my ride because we got a late start and didn't want to waste time getting fuel.  I think I had only about 2 gal, so I turned it on for the ride and drove pretty passively.  Set the trip meter at the alert, as usual, and started the countdown.  When I got home to the station, I thought I had about 6 miles left, but only put 5.4 gal in, so I actually had more like 22.

I think it’s just human nature.  When you have a full tank, you’re not worried about getting every mile you can.  You cruise at 80-90, romp on the gas, not a care in the world.  Then that blasted low fuel warning starts flashing at you, and you think “Oh sh#t, where’s the next gas station??  Can I make it 30 more miles??”  That’s when every mile counts and you slow down to 55, letting everyone pass you that you just zipped by... 

Exactly :)
Damn I wish the C14 had a 7gal tank instead of 6.1.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 01:05:51 PM »
Sure, if you are not ever really accelerating, there won't be any noticeable difference between regular and FEAM, but the fuel savings isn't as much in those cases either (at least I haven't noticed as much), especially when the "regular" map is reflashed and actually more efficient than the stock regular (non-FEAM) map.

I

What I observed was the opposite. Compared to a reflashed map (I have the SHodaben Mountain flash), eco gave about a 10% improvement in fuel economy- that's a huge. If I were to drive 700 miles, I'd save maybe around $6, enough for a beer when I arrive and instead of having to possibility have to stop four times, I'd definately have to stop no more than three times for fuel; this would allow me to make it to my destination faster. Also, gas (at least here) has been going up a lot (paid $4 a gallon for 91 last month in N. CA). For me, every two tanks using eco is like someone put an extra $6 in my pocket. Five tanks? An extra $30. I don't recall what the mpg the original stock regular programming gave me, but I think on highway slabbing, I'd get around 47mpg with Guhl. I think GUHL and stock would be equal in mpg. So, I think the Shodaben mountain flash gives maybe +2mpg more than the Guhl. I think the only the Guhl programming did was open those flies sooner.
I don't know if you have a lot of riding time done in the middle of bfe where you have long, flat, straight highways with speed limits of 70-90 posted, and gas stations that can be very, very far away, but if you ever do, you'll see what I mean. I lived near highway 50 (and drove it across the state a few times) and there was at least one stretch where there was no gas for 110 miles.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 12:19:13 AM »
  FEAM will cut out automatically if you turn the throttle enough...

I don't think that is correct, you are either in one fuel map or the other but there is no automatic switching (other than turning off the ignition) that I can find in any documentation. Now as to how much actual difference there is between the two maps when "you turn the throttle enough" and at higher RPM that's more in the SISF and IVAN department.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 05:41:48 AM »
I don't think that is correct, you are either in one fuel map or the other but there is no automatic switching (other than turning off the ignition) that I can find in any documentation.

Yep, I get that backwards every time.  It doesn't cut out, it won't cut ON at high throttle/RPM.

Now as to how much actual difference there is between the two maps when "you turn the throttle enough" and at higher RPM that's more in the SISF and IVAN department.

It would be interesting information to know.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »
With that map, getting in the mind of an Kawa engineer, I think they are trying to run the leanest mixture possible without causing detonation. I'd expect to see areas where the timing is retarded and of course, fuel being reduced which also saves gas. I'd think (and maybe this was on the old board) that maybe above a set speed (like 80 mph) the curves start to approximate the regular mode.This makes sense as increasing aerodynamic drag puts and extra load on the bike, plus your not going to see good mpg at that speed, regardless. I only have guhl/eco  numbers to think about so far, but I do recall mpg really falling off the cliff above 80, regardless of flash. I have a tall screen, all the stations dispense 10% ethanol blend gas. I recall that strip of highway in UT where the posted speed was 90mph and I was doing 95mph and boy, it really went through the fuel.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »
With that map, getting in the mind of an Kawa engineer, I think they are trying to run the leanest mixture possible without causing detonation.

Absolutely.  They even warn in the user's manual, again, that the bike requires high octane gas (not regular).

I'd expect to see areas where the timing is retarded and of course, fuel being reduced which also saves gas.

I think they might also open the secondaries even more slowly, but I have no proof of that.

I recall that strip of highway in UT where the posted speed was 90mph and I was doing 95mph and boy, it really went through the fuel.

Oh yeah.  As a bicyclist (I bicycle to work most every day), it is absolutely unreal just how much aerodynamics matter and also wind in how much power has to be applied to maintain a desired speed.  Some days I can hit over 20 MPH (tailwind) and other days it is so bad I can't even hardly maintain upright speed and I am better to just WALK the bicycle.  Same with tire pressure- let it drop too low and BOY can I notice the difference after inflating back to 85psi!

Of course, a motorcycle has a hell of a lot more power than my legs, but the principals are similar.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »
Yep, I get that backwards every time.  It doesn't cut out, it won't cut ON at high throttle/RPM.
Getting closer max', neither map will cut on at high throttle/high speed. Under the conditions listed in the Owner's manual it doesn't allow switching from one fuel map to the other regardless of which one you are in at the time. (I know picky picky picky, sorry...sort of.  :) )

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 05:12:38 PM »
Getting closer max', neither map will cut on at high throttle/high speed. Under the conditions listed in the Owner's manual it doesn't allow switching from one fuel map to the other regardless of which one you are in at the time. (I know picky picky picky, sorry...sort of.  :) )

That was, indeed, truly picky