Author Topic: Lowering the bike/seat  (Read 44031 times)

Offline Gabriel

Re: Lowering the bike/seat
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2013, 07:18:36 pm »
Looks good, PE makes some good stuff. I have their links and risers (both 1")

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2013, 09:42:23 pm »
Ok, so to clarify on this I was wrong...  :-[

When I was looking at my plug the bike was on the side stand, and from that angle it looked to me like the drain plug hung down lower than my exhaust...

So I ordered up the 10+ pan and gasket, but took it in today for install and once upright we realized I was wrong and that it was just the odd angle I was looking at it when on the side stand...  :-[

Good thing is I didn't need the 10+ pan and gasket, so didn't have to pay for em, saved me a couple Benji's.  :)

Well OK if you want to go cheap (ZG cheap?..that's a first.), just remember that when you're in a fast left sweeper and you see a sizable bump ahead in the turn.  :stirpot:  :yikes:  :stirpot:

....as for your other decision, well done ZG, that side stand looks first rate and equal to the other quality installs on your bike.  :thumbs:

Offline Gabriel

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 09:57:46 pm »
Whats going to happen to him in that bumpy left sweeper?
My crystal ball is cloudy.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 10:08:00 pm »
When I was looking at my plug the bike was on the side stand, and from that angle it looked to me like the drain plug hung down lower than my exhaust...

This pic is while the bike is straight up and you can clearly see that the exhaust hangs down lower than the drain plug, my bad... 

Maybe on your non-stock exhaust system.  But on the stock exhaust, I believe the drain pain *is* the lowest point.

That is a nice looking kickstand... I think I like that much better than my Soupy's, especially since mine has *NOTHING* sticking out to use with your foot to get the thing down.  I have to kind wrap my foot up and under to get it to pull out.  I am used to it now, but it is tricky.
Guhl ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, HID, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline Smokinzx14

• Lose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2013, 10:40:56 am »
Just lowered mine in the rear , front is next on the list..

I little trick I found is I used my stock links off my ZX14R .. They bolt right up and clear the center stand ... The ZX14R links are about and inch longer than the C14 .. Since most ZX14 guys lower there bikes they just toss out the factory links , you should be able to pick up a set cheaper than Muzzys or other brands .. Bike still has plenty of lean on the kick stand but that will change when I drop the front .. I will most likely get a used kick stand off EBay and cut and weld it back together ..I'm not sure but cutting it may make it hard to get your foot on the side stand to lower it , I will not know till I give it a try .. If it is a problem I'll just buy an after market side stand ..

I was on my tip toes before and now I'm flat footed with just a bit of bend in my knees .. I feel much safer on the bike ..It much easier to back the bike up and move it around .. That was the first reason I needed lower , the second is for the days I run it at the drag strip .. Lower is faster , better 60 foot times and helps with wheelies by having a lower CG ..

Now I need to find the cheapest ( safe way ) to drop the front end ..I'm sure not going to give Muzzy 118.00 plus shipping for some spacers ..I think I can make up some alum spacers much cheaper myself ..  :)
2012 ZX14R Stock motor on pump gas  8.43@ 164.95 .
 2013 C14 , Soon to be the quickest C14 in the 1/4 mile .. :)

Offline Gabriel

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2013, 10:49:43 am »
Why not just slide the fork tubes up in the trees? I never looked to see if the tubes are the same dimension all the way down but i don't remember seeing any rises of reduction in diameter?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2013, 11:58:46 am »
Why not just slide the fork tubes up in the trees? I never looked to see if the tubes are the same dimension all the way down but i don't remember seeing any rises of reduction in diameter?

Indeed.  You simply slide the forks up.  But you will have to add bar risers to do this, otherwise there is no room.  Perhaps he wants to lower the front (which is the right thing to do if you lower the rear) and yet wants to keep the bars the same.  In that case, I am not sure what one would do.
Guhl ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, HID, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline Gabriel

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2013, 12:07:21 pm »
I just lowered the rear 1" and did not change the front. I can't tell if it handles any different but I'm sure two-up changes it more than the amount I lowered it.
I put a ZX14 seat on it which lowered it a little also. I have a "33/34" inseam (depending on how fat or thin I am ::)), the fatter I get the shorter my legs are? :o

Offline MAXPWR

« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2017, 07:15:07 am »
I just dropped Connie at a "Zero speed" intersection (I should have known it would be a  matter of time before this happened).
I read as much as I could regarding lowering the bike on this forum.
I already have the Sargent lower seat.

I have bar risers installed and plan on dropping front 1".
I'd like to drop the rear 1" also.
So, are these SAFE and ok to use?

https://www.ebay.com/i/232284697312?chn=ps&dispItem=1
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:49:52 pm by MAXPWR »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2017, 09:25:40 am »
I have Muzzy links on mine. I dropped front and rear 1".
They may work fine, but I don't like the links with 3 holes.
One reason is you can't/shouldn't lower the bike more than 1".

I've seen a 1 step link at T-Rex Racing. Looks to be a better link to me.
If you can weld, both stands can be shortened an inch.
Side stand is EZ. Center takes a bit more work. I have photo's of where to cut/modify.
If interested, PM me a phone number and I could send them that way.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I'll be out of town until Friday.

Offline MAXPWR

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2017, 09:58:23 am »
Thank you for the reply. I looked at the T-REX but they don't state if the center stand has to go. Also, do you have a web link for the Muzzy's? I cant seem to come up with anything there.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2017, 03:32:48 pm »
I just dropped Connie at a "Zero speed" intersection (I should have known it would be a  matter of time before this happened).

Sometimes that can happen, even with longer legs- you can place your foot on slippery oil or loose gravel and wham.  So don't feel bad.  It is just more LIKELY to happen when you have shorter legs.

I read as much as I could regarding lowering the bike on this forum. I already have the Sargent lower seat. I don't mind loosing the center stand. I have bar risers installed and plan on dropping front 1". I'd like to drop the rear 1" also.
So, are these SAFE and ok to use? https://www.ebay.com/i/232284697312?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Yes, they are safe to use as long as you don't attempt lower more than around 1" (maybe a bit more, but certainly NOT 1.75"+, I can ONLY validate 1").  Anything more than that and you are running into unknown risks of bottoming out the suspension and slamming the rear fender into the bike's lower, etc.  With that particular design, I cannot tell if you must lose the center stand.  On most "variable" adjustable links, there is additional hardware that gets in the way and that is why the center stand must go.  The one you linked to is a bit different, so I think it will NOT require center stand removal.  Side stand should be fine.

I can't believe they would even offer a 4", there is no situation I can think of where that would work.  There are three holes, and their "details" don't say what drop is offered by each hole.... which is very concerning.  How are you supposed to know what options there are without any information?  You could buy those and end up with one hole being 0", the next 2" and the next 4", leaving you with NO USABLE/SAFE OPTIONS but stock!   I would Email him and ask, and also request they update their listings with that CRITICAL information.  Finally, with three holes, closely side-by-side in aluminum, with no reinforcement, how strong is that unit going to be?  There is a lot of force going through that thing.  If it fails, you could go down, and fast.

My recommendation is the Muzzys links ( http://muzzys.com ), which I am not sure is made anymore, or something like that design (which T-Tex appears to be)

See also http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=85  (Which ALSO doesn't list drop amount!!!)

As I warn in my first postings, the proper location to measure actual drop is from the axle center of the rear wheel.  If you measure the back of the frame, there will appear to be more drop, or forward of the axle, it will appear be less drop.  So who even knows what claimed numbers mean until you put it on and measure it yourself (just make sure to do it on level ground and make sure to bounce in the bike a few times first).

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2017, 03:47:17 pm »
Looks like someone is trying to reconstitute Muzzy's.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline MAXPWR

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2017, 05:00:35 am »
Thanks maxtog. I ended up ordering the T-REX links and side stand combo. These links do NOT have the multiple holes as I agree with you about the weakness of additional holes. They're claim is 1 1/2" drop so I'm gambling that will be 1" in reality and won't risk being too much. I'll report back with some before and after measurements after I install them as well as dropping front end too.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:36:56 pm by MAXPWR »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2017, 11:05:50 am »
Before you install the new links, put the bike on the center stand and measure center of axle to a point on the frame.
 After you install, {again, with bike on center stand} repeat that measurement.
The difference is your actual drop.

After your done, lower the front the "same" amount, and readjust your spring sag. {it will change slightly}

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:22:20 pm by connie_rider »