Author Topic: Lowering the bike/seat  (Read 60017 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Lowering the bike/seat
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2013, 11:02:25 AM »
I think that Fred has one over at his website.

Gotta link C?  ???

Offline Conrad

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »
Gotta link C?  ???

No, I would have pasted it in if I had one. I was just looking at a pic of the newer oil pans but I can't remember where in the heck it was at. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »
No, I would have pasted it in if I had one. I was just looking at a pic of the newer oil pans but I can't remember where in the heck it was at.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/concours14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
I don't know if this is the picture being referred to, but it's a pic of Murph's oil filter protector
on Fred's '10 C14, and it shows the drain bolt pretty clearly.
double click for full size:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2013, 01:35:13 PM »
I don't know if this is the picture being referred to, but it's a pic of Murph's oil filter protector

That's the one I was thinking of!

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2013, 04:27:32 PM »

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to see, thanks FM!  :chugbeer:

In looking at my 09 the drain plug hangs down even further than my exhaust, so I think if I do this I'll also try the oil pan swap as well to gain an inch more of clearance.  :thumbs: :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
ZG, why not use the muzzy lowering links? [...] get about 1" or 1.5" lowering.

In my case it was exactly 1".  Not 1.25, not 1.5".  Measured carefully several times.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »
I think regardless of which lowering link is used it might be a good idea to at the same time swap oil pans (if they're a direct swap) since from what I've heard the drain plug on the 10+ was put in another spot that minimizes it catching on things. Looking underneath my 09 it looks like the drain plug and drain plug guard hangs down lower than the exhaust, having the bike be even lower with a link means that would be the first thing to scrape, and it broke off would obviously be a very bad thing...  :-\

I tend to agree with your assessment.  I have driven many thousands of miles, lowered 1" (back AND FRONT, of course) with the Muzzy links and have never hit anything yet (and I have driven some REALLY bad roads with lots of huge irregularities).  But mine is a 2nd gen.  If the pan is compatible and not overpriced, I think replacing it would be a good idea.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »
If the pan is compatible and not overpriced, I think replacing it would be a good idea.

I'm only gonna do it if it's overpriced...  ;)

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »

49034: PAN-OIL   2705331    1 Usually ships within 1 to 2 business days    $194.37    $146.66

BikeBandit.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2013, 04:28:12 AM »

49034: PAN-OIL   2705331    1 Usually ships within 1 to 2 business days    $194.37    $146.66

BikeBandit.com

Under $150? You better buy two J.    ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2013, 10:29:05 AM »
Under $150? You better buy two J.    ;)

:rotflmao:

Ok, I just ordered up the 10+ pan, gasket, Muzzys link, and that adjustable side stand I posted the other day. It's worth a try I guess, first time I've ever done a link on any bike I've ever had, and I've had more than a dozen... :-\

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2013, 11:30:36 AM »
I've done it on almost every bike I have had. Links and risers from "Precision Engineering" will be here in two days.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2013, 06:17:49 PM »
In looking at my 09 the drain plug hangs down even further than my exhaust, so I think if I do this I'll also try the oil pan swap as well to gain an inch more of clearance.  :thumbs: :)

Ok, so to clarify on this I was wrong...  :-[

When I was looking at my plug the bike was on the side stand, and from that angle it looked to me like the drain plug hung down lower than my exhaust...

So I ordered up the 10+ pan and gasket, but took it in today for install and once upright we realized I was wrong and that it was just the odd angle I was looking at it when on the side stand...  :-[

This pic is while the bike is straight up and you can clearly see that the exhaust hangs down lower than the drain plug, my bad...  :-[

Good thing is I didn't need the 10+ pan and gasket, so didn't have to pay for em, saved me a couple Benji's.  :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2013, 06:30:08 PM »
Ok, I just ordered up the 10+ pan, gasket, Muzzys link, and that adjustable side stand I posted the other day. It's worth a try I guess, first time I've ever done a link on any bike I've ever had, and I've had more than a dozen... :-\

Installed today!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Wow I'm really shocked coming home what a difference just an inch made, coming to the first couple stops I literally was stubbing toes doing my normal what I'm use to feet down approach! After a couple more stops got that all in order and am very pleased! I used to be only on tip toes, now I'm solid on the balls of my feet, feels great and much more sturdy and comfy!  :)

The adjustable side stand I posted the link to arrived and I was less than impressed in the quality of it, so I sent it back for refund.

I opted to go with the PE 1" lower side stand, quality product and well built IMO, looks great!  :thumbs:

http://www.preeng.com/xcart/1-Shorter-Billet-Kickstand.html

And for the links I went with the Muzzys, the gold goes nicely with the Ohlins gold.  8) :thumbs:

http://www.muzzys.com/concours14/concours14_links/index.html

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »
Looks good, PE makes some good stuff. I have their links and risers (both 1")

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2013, 09:42:23 PM »
Ok, so to clarify on this I was wrong...  :-[

When I was looking at my plug the bike was on the side stand, and from that angle it looked to me like the drain plug hung down lower than my exhaust...

So I ordered up the 10+ pan and gasket, but took it in today for install and once upright we realized I was wrong and that it was just the odd angle I was looking at it when on the side stand...  :-[

Good thing is I didn't need the 10+ pan and gasket, so didn't have to pay for em, saved me a couple Benji's.  :)

Well OK if you want to go cheap (ZG cheap?..that's a first.), just remember that when you're in a fast left sweeper and you see a sizable bump ahead in the turn.  :stirpot:  :yikes:  :stirpot:

....as for your other decision, well done ZG, that side stand looks first rate and equal to the other quality installs on your bike.  :thumbs:

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »
Whats going to happen to him in that bumpy left sweeper?
My crystal ball is cloudy.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »

This pic is while the bike is straight up and you can clearly see that the exhaust hangs down lower than the drain plug, my bad... 

Maybe on your non-stock exhaust system.  But on the stock exhaust, I believe the drain pain *is* the lowest point.

That is a nice looking kickstand... I think I like that much better than my Soupy's, especially since mine has *NOTHING* sticking out to use with your foot to get the thing down.  I have to kind wrap my foot up and under to get it to pull out.  I am used to it now, but it is tricky.

Offline Smokinzx14

• Lose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »
Just lowered mine in the rear , front is next on the list..

I little trick I found is I used my stock links off my ZX14R .. They bolt right up and clear the center stand ... The ZX14R links are about and inch longer than the C14 .. Since most ZX14 guys lower there bikes they just toss out the factory links , you should be able to pick up a set cheaper than Muzzys or other brands .. Bike still has plenty of lean on the kick stand but that will change when I drop the front .. I will most likely get a used kick stand off EBay and cut and weld it back together ..I'm not sure but cutting it may make it hard to get your foot on the side stand to lower it , I will not know till I give it a try .. If it is a problem I'll just buy an after market side stand ..

I was on my tip toes before and now I'm flat footed with just a bit of bend in my knees .. I feel much safer on the bike ..It much easier to back the bike up and move it around .. That was the first reason I needed lower , the second is for the days I run it at the drag strip .. Lower is faster , better 60 foot times and helps with wheelies by having a lower CG ..

Now I need to find the cheapest ( safe way ) to drop the front end ..I'm sure not going to give Muzzy 118.00 plus shipping for some spacers ..I think I can make up some alum spacers much cheaper myself ..  :)
2012 ZX14R Stock motor on pump gas  8.43@ 164.95 .
 2013 C14 , Soon to be the quickest C14 in the 1/4 mile .. :)