Author Topic: Looking for a project bike.  (Read 8169 times)

gpineau

Re: Looking for a project bike.
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »
 (ordered some side fairings to hide all the botched harnesses and ugly fasteners under the seat. I hope they fit.)

I think it is time to close this thread. 
After all I did find a project bike and got it somewhat in good shape. Its Christmas season so I don't think I am going to achieve anything major before the end of the year.

I will start a new thread when I get finished working on it.

Merry Christmas to everyone. Enjoy the holidays.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2019, 09:52:07 AM »
I'd like to see what you came up with on the side fairings.  maybe it's an idea I could use as well.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2019, 02:02:22 AM »
I hate to buy used off ebay cause I don't know what is compatible from year to year.
For the side fairings all years are interchangeable,as is the belly pan and the side covers (under the seat), and the tail piece.
The only fairing parts that are 86-93 or 94-06 specific are the fairing cowl, and all inner fairing parts.

On the side fairings the 86 and some 87s had screws that attached the "main vent" (see attached pic) but otherwise they mount to the bike the same.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2019, 07:13:32 AM »
I think he's talking about the side panel under the seat.
If so, all are the same..

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2019, 08:21:40 AM »
Yes, this is what I bought. I got just enough paint left to make them match.

gpineau

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2020, 09:14:06 PM »
Just checked the Cam chain tensioner.  I dont know what I am looking at but it seems to be working. When I loosened the bolt on the end I expected a spring to come pushing out but instead nothing came out. I pulled it out to see what I had and it seems to be an earlier version than what I am used to. Instead of the spring pushing against the piston there is a screw gear inside of a cylinder. The cylinder is the tensioner.  So the screw slot engages with a spring that is wound inside the casing. You wind it up like a clock. Install it, then slowly let it unwind and it will push the piston out til it hits the cam chain.  You old timers probably know what i am talking about but it was a surprise to me. When it was in place I gave it a little extra twist to make sure it was against the cam chain.  At any rate it didnt seem to change the rat-tat-tat noise that i am hearing.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2020, 05:00:51 PM »
Didn't really hear a change on the video, but did hear what sounds like a valve tap.
Possibly a valve is out of adjustment, or adjusted came loose?

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2020, 07:25:36 PM »
The change in sound happened about 5 minuted before I started the video.
It sounds a lot like the cam slapping the cam-follower. I hate to remove the valve cover but if it gets any louder I have no choice.