Author Topic: Why progressive sucks  (Read 6512 times)

Son of Pappy

Why progressive sucks
« on: October 02, 2012, 10:34:55 AM »
They are requiring me to sign a form that I "wish" to cancell my policy.  I don't "wish" to cancel, I am cancelling this policy.  Called and I was given the BS reason that sometimes an angry spouse will cancell a policy to "screw" (her words, not mine) their soon to be ex.  I politely explained I have been married for over 30 years and this is a policy on MY motorcycles and she has never and will never ride a motorcycle, I also explained I already have new insurance.  Doesn't matter.  I am required to sign something and that really flames my shorts.  Friggin Nanny state.  FWIW, I was extremely polite to each of the two ladies I spoke with, I even left them with a smile as I know it isn't there fault they work for a Progressive minded organization.  I think I'll sign the form as bho ;)  They don't have any other sigs on file so how would they know who signed what?

Good news?  I have full coverage on 2 bikes through Safeco, $333 total for a years coverage.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Why progressive sucks
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:44:18 AM »
I also switched to Safeco after an attempted screwing by 'Progressive'. Also at substantial savings.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
Every year at renewal time, I write my check, hold my nose and send my money to Progressive. Vehement anti gun, anti conservative, anti self defense. Look at the name, its what the owner Peter B.Lewis is politically. No other company can touch their rates here for me. It bothers me too.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »
I am required to sign something and that really flames my shorts.

I don't see how the insurance company can "require" you to sign anything. I mean what can they do if you just trash the form, cancel your policy?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »
In general I avoid the companies that spend millions and millions on TV adds like GIECO, Progressive and Allstate. I figure they have to pay for those adds somehow. I'm with Shelter Ins and pay $265/year full coverage on my 2010 C14 and $90 on the DR650.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 03:06:36 PM »
I don't see how the insurance company can "require" you to sign anything. I mean what can they do if you just trash the form, cancel your policy?

Its SOP.  A policy is a contract and they require signatures.  I'll bet the policy wording covers the cancellation signature requirement.  We live in a litigous culture and that's one way they try to cover themselves.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:10:57 PM »
Why not just tell them to disregard the need for a signature to cancel the policy Chet...  :-\ ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »
Its SOP.  A policy is a contract and they require signatures.  I'll bet the policy wording covers the cancellation signature requirement.  We live in a litigous culture and that's one way they try to cover themselves.
The funny thing?  I also cancelled my car insurance with them.  No signature needed.
Why not just tell them to disregard the need for a signature to cancel the policy Chet...  :-\ ;D
I did.  I told them I would disregard payment in lieu of a signature ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »
I did. I told them I would disregard payment in lieu of a signature ;D

Maybe they don't understand the true meaning of the word disregard...  ;)

You can forward them OCK's thread, maybe that would help.  ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »

So does that mean you still have a policy until you sign? I'm thinking lack of payment will get the policy canceled with or without a signature.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »
So does that mean you still have a policy until you sign? I'm thinking lack of payment will get the policy canceled with or without a signature.
I reckon it's OK if they screw your spouse?
What really got me is the drive for paperless everything.  All of a sudden they need a piece of paper?  And then I can cancell the policy with coverage for my wife with no sig and a policy not for my wife requires a sig because guys have screwed their wives by cancelling a policy???????
FWIW, they took the paper with bho scrawled on it, just got the paperless confirmation of cancellation. 8) 8)  I feel better now.  Hey ZG, I used BLACK ink when I signed the form ;D

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »
I got caught when I sold a bike and since it was close to the expiry of the insurance policy I just called in and left a message. When the renewal came I just put it in the circular file.

Fast forward and I find I am going to have the policy cancelled by the insurance company. OK so forever and ever when I want to get an insurance quote I have to answer yes to the question, Have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled? Want to see what that does to your rates and BTW there is no space for an explanation.

To straighten things out I got to purchase the policy, provide documentation that the bike was sold when I said it was, cancel the policy and await my refund minus a holdback. This was the least expensive option by far and wasn't accomplished easily.

Here's my advice, sign the paperwork properly, follow up with a phone call and save yourself a few headaches down the road.

If not then I look forward to your future rant ....VBG

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
I have confirmation of cancellation.  I did it for the very reason you stated.  Not interested in becoming David vs Goliath.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 07:26:21 PM »
I got caught when I sold a bike and since it was close to the expiry of the insurance policy I just called in and left a message. When the renewal came I just put it in the circular file.

Fast forward and I find I am going to have the policy cancelled by the insurance company. OK so forever and ever when I want to get an insurance quote I have to answer yes to the question, Have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled? Want to see what that does to your rates and BTW there is no space for an explanation.

To straighten things out I got to purchase the policy, provide documentation that the bike was sold when I said it was, cancel the policy and await my refund minus a holdback. This was the least expensive option by far and wasn't accomplished easily.

Here's my advice, sign the paperwork properly, follow up with a phone call and save yourself a few headaches down the road.

If not then I look forward to your future rant ....VBG

Ok, I get it now. If you have a refund coming I guess the signature is required. Also I agree you wouldn't want "policy canceled" due to non payment on the record. Sounds like Boomer has some good advice.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 07:33:40 PM »
The weird thing?  I changed the MC policy at the same time it ran out.  No refund coming, but the auto?  No sig but a refund.  Just bogles the mind.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 09:21:58 PM »
Hey ZG, I used BLACK ink when I signed the form ;D

;D 8) :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 01:44:49 PM »
And why not get a little more racist and insulting to our President. Sheesh!

Take this political crap to the Arena, not here.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
jock, did you even bother to read the thread. Do you know 'Bert'?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »
And why not get a little more racist and insulting to our President. Sheesh!

Take this political crap to the Arena, not here.
To clear the air, I was responding to Jay, I think it is safe to assume Jay likes the color black.  I'm sorry you took it this way, that thought never entered my mind, the one you mentioned.  I think that goes to your state of mind.  I would ask politely that you remove your post as that has no place in the open forum.

TIA.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »
Alright, nothing to see here, move on and ride some more...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.