Author Topic: Why We Ride  (Read 5092 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Why We Ride
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »
I'm meeting a bunch of folks at the Tampa event tonight

http://youtu.be/AxGNI4jpzL4
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline redzgrider

Re: Why We Ride
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:51:35 PM »
Peter Jones, Cycle World, September 2007
I love old bikes for what they were and new bikes for what they are. I love the romance of kick starts and the convenience of starter buttons. I love bikes with more power than I sometimes have the discretion to use properly. I love passing cars where no car can pass. I love how motorcycles keep getting quicker, if not faster. I love the feeling of freedom and power the bike gives me.

I love the responsibility of riding smartly. I love being alone on a motorcycle. I love riding in groups. I love how motorcycles make me feel like the hero I’m not. I love that riding a motorcycle means I might be half as cool as Steve McQueen.

I love that motorcycles are confusing to non-bikers. I love how being a biker is to be a member of a special club. I love how bad girls are turned on by guys who ride bikes. I love how good girls are turned on by guys who ride bikes.

I love how a motorcycle is the cheapest way to go racing–road racing, drag racing, dirt racing, and all racing. I love choppers. I love sportbikes. I love riding down a long road to nowhere. I love riding too fast down curvy roads. I love the boom of Singles. the bellow of Twins, the In-A-Gadda-DaVida beat of Triples, the screams of Fours and Sixes…I’d love the sound of a five-cylinder if someone made one. I love complex valvetrains. I love fully adjustable upside-down forks. I love modifying a perfectly good bike into a beastly machine that’s a pain to ride.

I love putting on my leathers. I love hanging out in leathers, but only if I have a bike nearby. I love girls who ride…in leathers. I love attending roadracing events. I love the sound of a bike taken to redline in every single gear. I love the thrill. the look, the art, the feel, the smell, the taste, the sensual adventure of motorcycles.

I love wide tires. I love spoked rims. I love magnesium wheels. I love being able to pick up an engine with my own two arms that can take me to speeds more than twice any legal limit. I love doing stoppies. I love dragging my knees through turns. I love two-fingered braking even more. I love my memories of the Syracuse Mile. I love the hints of crazy hope that emanated from Jimmy Adamo every time he threw his leg over a Ducati. I love the stunning artistic beauty of the 1974 Laverda 750 SFC.

I love 70-year old bikers who ride like there’s no tomorrow. I love watching the road fly by just below my feet. I love standing on the pegs and seeing the front tire go ’round. I love riding a bike as fast as it will possibly go. I love going 140 mph for three minutes straight (that’s 6.99 miles). I love riding with no particular place to go. I love that being a biker means something, even if I don’t always like what it means to some. I love how bikes have connected me with people acoss the country and worldwide. I love hanging out at motorcycle nights. I love the foolish hell of Daytona Bike Week. I love saying aloud the mysteriously promising names GiaCaMoto, Yoshimura, Yoshima, Dunstall and Ferracci.

I love clip-ons and rearsets. I love loud pipes. I love tight racing gloves. I love wearing black leather. I love wearing leather of loud colors. I love going 175 mph with only the dyed skin of a dead cow between me and planet Earth. I love riding bikes and writing about them. I love hanging in the streets of L.A. with other bikers. I love riding the mountains of North Carolina. I love walking through seas of parked bikes. I love motorcycling’s brave history. I love taking girls for rides. I love how children stare in wonder at motorcycles. I love riding in any mountains. I love riding across the desert. I love splitting lanes in California. I love washing and polishing my own motorcycle. I love visiting bike shops in whatever state or country I’m in. I love doing that for no special reason at all. I love dragging the pegs and bags of cruisers. I love customizing bikes. I love admiring someone else’s customized bike. I love lightweight 600 cc sportbikes. I love heavy sportbikes with insanely excessive power–I love those very much, thank you. I love riding around the Grattan racecourse outside Grand Rapids, Michigan. I love the streets of Willow.

I love holding modern, thin, lightweight. chemically coated pistons in my hand.I love the chatter of flatslides. I love the rattle of a dry clutch. I love the intake honk of big bikes. I love the crisp rasp of an open exhaust. I love the beastly booming brutish bellow of a big Vee’s low-end torque. I love the risks of riding. I love 90-degree Twins. I also love 45- and 60-degree Twins. I even love parallel Twins. I guess I love Twins. I love old GSX-Rs. I love the feeling of anticipation while rolling a motorcycle out of the garage on a cool morning.. I love the smell of burning two-stroke oil any time of day. I love the conspicuous mechanics of motorcycles. I love the stance of a bike resting on a rear stand. I love the insane hubris of the Isle of Man. I love riding ratty old bike that remind me of my original thrill of motorcycling.I love bob-jobs. I love re-reading old motorcycling magazines. I love collecting stickers from aftermarket companies.

I love how motorcycling makes travel intimate. I love how a bike gives me an immediate feel of subtle changes in temperature. I love wearing full-face helmets, because I’ve used every inch of the exterior of them at one time or another. I love how, on a bike, each of my limbs has controls of its own. I love right-side-shifting bikes. I love riding for days on end. I love hiding under a bridge during a thunderstorm. I love how riding clears my head. I love bike clubs. I love motorcycle movies. I love parking on a mountain summit and staring at my bike’s engine. I love machine-billet brake calipers. I love windowed case covers. I love how a motorcycle is sometimes a preposterous “deus ex machina”. I love the echo of a drive chain on tight left-hand curves. I love the technological efficiency of modern sportbikes. I love the simplicity of old naked bikes. I love the imposing nastiness of rat bikes. I love the mystery, romance and sexa appeal of motorcycles. I love how bikes make me dream. I love how bikes make me who I am. I love how a motorcycle is never just a motorcycle. I love motorcycles.

Offline pistole

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »
Lovely , good read , thanks

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:07:06 AM »
A dozen or more from Minnesota saw the movie last night.  I had my son with me, who also rides, a great experience to share.  Riders and their family/friends should go see it.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 08:35:06 AM »
Looks like it's showing this Sunday 12/8, at Carmike 10 in Midlothian VA at 2:00. I may have to run down there.

Offline sherob

• Arena
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »
Supposed to be available on Amazon tomorrow...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHYIQ18/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=31808081216&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9094961551964949903&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7v0l9tjzcj_b

Thanks for the heads-up!
Watched the movie last nite w/ a bunch of rider friends ( COG & others)....  What a great movie! :finger_fing11:
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:19:41 AM »
First I've heard of this..
Is this movie currently at the Theaters?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »
The closest theatre showing it is 2 hours away.  I guess I will wait for the DVD to come out.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »
After I saw the Trailer,,,, I looked and the showing in Houston was sold out,,, so,,,,, I ordered 1 from Amazon today. ($28)
Update: Got a note from amazon today. Video is supposed to be delivered next week...   ;D

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:41:33 PM by connie_rider »

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
Peter Jones, Cycle World, September 2007
I love old bikes for what they were and new bikes for what they are. I love the romance of kick starts and the convenience of starter buttons. I love bikes with more power than I sometimes have the discretion to use properly. I love passing cars where no car can pass. I love how motorcycles keep getting quicker, if not faster. I love the feeling of freedom and power the bike gives me.

I love the responsibility of riding smartly. I love being alone on a motorcycle. I love riding in groups. I love how motorcycles make me feel like the hero I’m not. I love that riding a motorcycle means I might be half as cool as Steve McQueen.

I love that motorcycles are confusing to non-bikers. I love how being a biker is to be a member of a special club. I love how bad girls are turned on by guys who ride bikes. I love how good girls are turned on by guys who ride bikes.

I love how a motorcycle is the cheapest way to go racing–road racing, drag racing, dirt racing, and all racing. I love choppers. I love sportbikes. I love riding down a long road to nowhere. I love riding too fast down curvy roads. I love the boom of Singles. the bellow of Twins, the In-A-Gadda-DaVida beat of Triples, the screams of Fours and Sixes…I’d love the sound of a five-cylinder if someone made one. I love complex valvetrains. I love fully adjustable upside-down forks. I love modifying a perfectly good bike into a beastly machine that’s a pain to ride.

I love putting on my leathers. I love hanging out in leathers, but only if I have a bike nearby. I love girls who ride…in leathers. I love attending roadracing events. I love the sound of a bike taken to redline in every single gear. I love the thrill. the look, the art, the feel, the smell, the taste, the sensual adventure of motorcycles.

I love wide tires. I love spoked rims. I love magnesium wheels. I love being able to pick up an engine with my own two arms that can take me to speeds more than twice any legal limit. I love doing stoppies. I love dragging my knees through turns. I love two-fingered braking even more. I love my memories of the Syracuse Mile. I love the hints of crazy hope that emanated from Jimmy Adamo every time he threw his leg over a Ducati. I love the stunning artistic beauty of the 1974 Laverda 750 SFC.

I love 70-year old bikers who ride like there’s no tomorrow. I love watching the road fly by just below my feet. I love standing on the pegs and seeing the front tire go ’round. I love riding a bike as fast as it will possibly go. I love going 140 mph for three minutes straight (that’s 6.99 miles). I love riding with no particular place to go. I love that being a biker means something, even if I don’t always like what it means to some. I love how bikes have connected me with people acoss the country and worldwide. I love hanging out at motorcycle nights. I love the foolish hell of Daytona Bike Week. I love saying aloud the mysteriously promising names GiaCaMoto, Yoshimura, Yoshima, Dunstall and Ferracci.

I love clip-ons and rearsets. I love loud pipes. I love tight racing gloves. I love wearing black leather. I love wearing leather of loud colors. I love going 175 mph with only the dyed skin of a dead cow between me and planet Earth. I love riding bikes and writing about them. I love hanging in the streets of L.A. with other bikers. I love riding the mountains of North Carolina. I love walking through seas of parked bikes. I love motorcycling’s brave history. I love taking girls for rides. I love how children stare in wonder at motorcycles. I love riding in any mountains. I love riding across the desert. I love splitting lanes in California. I love washing and polishing my own motorcycle. I love visiting bike shops in whatever state or country I’m in. I love doing that for no special reason at all. I love dragging the pegs and bags of cruisers. I love customizing bikes. I love admiring someone else’s customized bike. I love lightweight 600 cc sportbikes. I love heavy sportbikes with insanely excessive power–I love those very much, thank you. I love riding around the Grattan racecourse outside Grand Rapids, Michigan. I love the streets of Willow.

I love holding modern, thin, lightweight. chemically coated pistons in my hand.I love the chatter of flatslides. I love the rattle of a dry clutch. I love the intake honk of big bikes. I love the crisp rasp of an open exhaust. I love the beastly booming brutish bellow of a big Vee’s low-end torque. I love the risks of riding. I love 90-degree Twins. I also love 45- and 60-degree Twins. I even love parallel Twins. I guess I love Twins. I love old GSX-Rs. I love the feeling of anticipation while rolling a motorcycle out of the garage on a cool morning.. I love the smell of burning two-stroke oil any time of day. I love the conspicuous mechanics of motorcycles. I love the stance of a bike resting on a rear stand. I love the insane hubris of the Isle of Man. I love riding ratty old bike that remind me of my original thrill of motorcycling.I love bob-jobs. I love re-reading old motorcycling magazines. I love collecting stickers from aftermarket companies.

I love how motorcycling makes travel intimate. I love how a bike gives me an immediate feel of subtle changes in temperature. I love wearing full-face helmets, because I’ve used every inch of the exterior of them at one time or another. I love how, on a bike, each of my limbs has controls of its own. I love right-side-shifting bikes. I love riding for days on end. I love hiding under a bridge during a thunderstorm. I love how riding clears my head. I love bike clubs. I love motorcycle movies. I love parking on a mountain summit and staring at my bike’s engine. I love machine-billet brake calipers. I love windowed case covers. I love how a motorcycle is sometimes a preposterous “deus ex machina”. I love the echo of a drive chain on tight left-hand curves. I love the technological efficiency of modern sportbikes. I love the simplicity of old naked bikes. I love the imposing nastiness of rat bikes. I love the mystery, romance and sexa appeal of motorcycles. I love how bikes make me dream. I love how bikes make me who I am. I love how a motorcycle is never just a motorcycle. I love motorcycles.

Good read. Thanks.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 04:30:05 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:46:02 PM »
 You can get them on Ebay for the same price. Amazon is sold out.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 08:40:31 AM »
I received mine and attempted to watch it. (Had a wife in the room talking etc which didn't help my attention span).
Unfortunately it wasn't as good as I would have hoped and I turned it off to see it later.
To this day, I haven't watched the entire thing.
I'll bring it to the National. maybe in the correct environment,,, it will grab my attention.

Update: Finally had time to set, and watch the entire Movie. I now want to correct my last statement.
After I got into the Movie i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:47:31 PM by connie_rider »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 06:16:59 PM »
I watched it last night. An FJR friend lent it to me. I enjoyed it.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »
I watched and really enjoyed it, summed up so much of how I feel about riding. My closest friends that I have made since moving to Central Ohio, have "all" been through motorcycling.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 06:05:44 AM »
Most of mine as well...janitor keys and all.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.