Author Topic: wifi dongle?  (Read 4473 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
wifi dongle?
« on: April 27, 2016, 05:13:09 AM »
I have a wireless router at home and a windows pc with ethernet and usb across the room. Will a wifi adapter work so I don't have to run a hardline?

Offline Conrad

Re: wifi dongle?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 05:15:12 AM »
I don't see any reason that it shouldn't work. I've used those USB wifi adapters before and they work fine, a bit slow though. You could also install an internal wifi card.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:21:47 AM »
If I install an internal card why would I need the adapter?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 05:48:55 AM »

You wouldn't.  He is saying an internal card is faster than using a USB based WiFi adapter.  Which is true.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 06:11:05 AM »
Got it. This is a new machine I'm setting up at home before I move it to work. Once at work It will be wired to the fiber network and I won't need the wireless. Thanks

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 06:23:43 AM »
I've got one of those on my pc down in the basement lab..

http://smile.amazon.com/TRENDnet-TEW-804UB-Wireless-one-touch-optimization/dp/B00FS9GRXW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1461759706&sr=1-1&keywords=TRENDnet+TEW-804UB+Dual+Band+USB+WiFi+Adapter+IEEE+802.11+a%2Fb%2Fg%2Fn%2Fac+Wireless+Network

Works great and I don't notice any slowness but then again I've replaced my wireless router with a Trendnet dual band AC router.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 06:27:20 AM »
 :) amazon delivers

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »
They certainly do.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 07:22:48 AM »
Not sure how much of a boost you'll get, but if your new machine has a USB3.0 port, getting a USB3.0 compliant dongle might help with the speed - I went that route for a laptop I had in which the built in wifi died.  No noticeable difference in speed before and after...  (much better results than an older dongle I had, but that one was a few years old, so might just be better tech on the new one.)

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 08:44:27 AM »
Thanks...I've got 4 = 3.0 and 6 = 2.0 usb ports so either way I've got it covered.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
While not mandatory, any dongle (word of the day) should work, however I would recommend using a dongle that is of the same brand and works with your current router.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 11:05:24 AM »
Got it. This is a new machine I'm setting up at home before I move it to work. Once at work It will be wired to the fiber network and I won't need the wireless. Thanks

This is a "new machine" and it didn't come WiFi ready? Interesting.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 01:15:22 PM »
wifi is not required and not wanted at work so it wasn't installed. It's only an issue since I'm setting it up at home.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 02:12:23 PM »
The ethernet card in our previous desktop PC at home had no wifi, and when I got tired of the cable running across the floor, it was easier / cheaper to pop in a USB wifi dongle.

Seemed to work 'pretty' well, although occasionally it would lose connection with the wireless router, and a re-boot of the PC got it working. Kinda annoying, and I never knew for sure which part or program was at fault.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 03:19:07 PM »

What Max said.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 12:21:51 PM »
wifi is not required and not wanted at work so it wasn't installed. It's only an issue since I'm setting it up at home.

I guess you lost me.

IF you setup the internal WiFi at home and it works - fine.

At work - MOST workplaces use a password system - so if you don't log onto the system at work, it will never be using the WiFi part of their system.
I also think if you are using a cable at work to connect to the internet that it would not be using the WiFi part of the system as both can not be used
at the same time.  So plugging a cable in should lock out the WiFi part of your computer.

Did I miss something?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 01:16:46 PM »
you missdd the part about the computer likely a tower, not having an installed wifi device, wifi card,  it was purchased for a corporate machine, in a company that does not use wifi as part of their network....

companies are cheap, and that $35 savings they chose, is their way to stay on budget.... 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 05:27:18 PM »
What you do with your dongle in the privacy of your own home is nobody's business but your's..

(Sorry, I resisted doing that for two days)....
2014 C-14 Red

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 06:18:18 PM »
 ::)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc