Author Topic: wifi from a cable connection?  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Squishman

• Arena
wifi from a cable connection?
« on: December 20, 2011, 06:43:24 PM »
I am thinking seriously of going from DSL to cable. We use wifi in the house with 3 computers. One desktop and 2 laptops. So if we get cable to the desktop, is there a wifi device that would transmit for the other two computers?
I have a cable modem that I used 4 or 5 years ago when I had an apartment. Would I have to get a modem that has a wifi output instead? Or is there a device that can go with that?
I don't think I can use the DSL modem/router can I? I believe the only input on it is a phone line.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: wifi from a cable connection?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 06:56:46 PM »
I have a cable hook up.  Cable company supplies the cable modem.  Network cable from the cable box to my Cisco Linksys router.  I have hard wired and wifi connections to multiple devices (DVD player, Wii, and laptops) from the Linksys.  Works fine.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sq61708

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »
I have the same setup. It works well.
Go read this : http://www.buzzle.com/articles/wireless-router-installation-how-to-hook-up-a-wireless-router.html

I use a D-Link DIR-655 and am totally satisfied.

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:06:41 PM »
I know that they charge monthly for the modem, so I'll use the one I have. It's still on their list of modems that work.
This modem has 2 outputs. One ethernet and one USB.
So if I understand correctly, the USB will go to my desktop and the ethernet can go to a router for wifi?
If that is correct, this will be easy.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
Great info. Thx you guys.
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »
I don't know what the USB port is for on the cable modem.  Look up the model of the modem and pull the info on it.  It should tell you there what it's used for.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »
Since it only has one ethernet output, then that should go to the router and just use wifi for all the computers?
Is a wifi connection as good as the hard wire? I don't do games, which I understand you want top speed, etc.
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »
Oh, the router has ethernet connections for direct connection too. Cool.
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 08:03:56 PM »
The majority of home wireless routers have four wired ports. These should be used for computers close enough to plug in directly (they will be somewhat faster than the wireless). Use only one of the outputs on the modem to go to the wireless router -- it doesn't really make any difference which one.

The reason to run all of your computers (and phones, iPads, etc.) from the router is that it will take care of assigning a unique IP address to each of these devices. (If you don't understand what this means, trust me, this is a good thing.)

Offline Stasch

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »
another reason to hard wire the desktop is they are usually not equipped for wifi, just a network card.

not that it can't be done - just not the norm.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline The Other Brian

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 06:42:48 AM »
Another reason for at least one hardwired connection is to be able to configure the router as needed.  Most of the routers I am familiar with will not allow a wireless connection to open their setup utility.
Coon Rapids MN
2010 FJR 1300

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 08:15:18 AM »
I know that they charge monthly for the modem, so I'll use the one I have. It's still on their list of modems that work.
This modem has 2 outputs. One ethernet and one USB.
So if I understand correctly, the USB will go to my desktop and the ethernet can go to a router for wifi?
If that is correct, this will be easy.

Nope.  You generally can't use both the USB and the ethernet on a modem.  (Well, it may be possible, but would cause issues that aren't worth the hassle.)

Just use the ethernet connection.  Plug it into your wireless router.  If you want a wired connection back to your desktop, use one of the router's ethernet ports. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »
Another reason for at least one hardwired connection is to be able to configure the router as needed.  Most of the routers I am familiar with will not allow a wireless connection to open their setup utility.

Actually, an awful lot of them do allow it.  Sometimes it is disabled, but often it is left enabled.  I've found several open networks in my area where the owners have even left the default passwords on their routers.   :o

Most Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, and Belkin routers allow wireless setup access.  And those are probably most of the more common consumer level routers.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:11:50 AM »
Will this router work okay? I'm on my phone so it's easier for me to type to item number on ebay than to give a link. EBay item number 370552905979.
 we were using an n router with our dsl setup. So it seems compatible. The router will be downstairs with 1 computer upstairs if that matters. I appreciate the help!
Todd
Eagan, MN

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 09:43:11 AM »
For a second there I thought the thread was about a wify ;D  I would recomend a Polish girl over a Russian girl.

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 10:36:52 AM »
Ha. Funny s.o.p.
 I just bought a different 1 on ebay. From tiger direct. Linksys wrt120n. The price was awesome.   
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »
Easy-Peasy to build out a network if you understand basic principles. Cable MODEM or DSL MODEM bridges the provider to a local ethernet connection. The MODEM used must be a type supported by the provider. A hard wired or WiFi router is used behind the MODEM to create a local network. Some consumer broadband MODEMS have routers built in. Any standard type/brand may be used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_lan

Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »
Will this router work okay? I'm on my phone so it's easier for me to type to item number on ebay than to give a link. EBay item number 370552905979.
 we were using an n router with our dsl setup. So it seems compatible. The router will be downstairs with 1 computer upstairs if that matters. I appreciate the help!

Yep, should work.  Link to Ebay if anyone else wants to check it out.  Looks like a pretty good price.  Cisco/Linksys makes some pretty good stuff.  (Although they've released some crap in the name of saving money, too)  Reviews of the E1000 look like it is a pretty average, basic router, which seems to be what you're looking for.

If you're looking to stream video (especially HDTV) from the internet, or from your computer to your TV/game console/whatever, you might want to look into a dual-band wireless-N router, though, as they handle the larger amounts of data bandwidth better.

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »
If you're looking to stream video (especially HDTV) from the internet, or from your computer to your TV/game console/whatever, you might want to look into a dual-band wireless-N router, though, as they handle the larger amounts of data bandwidth better.

A word of caution with 802.11n... It is very common that when the distance is too great, there is signal interference, or obstacles in the signal path, the routers are usually set by default to automatically revert to 802.11g, effectively negating all speed benefits of n.

Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
So we got connected and it is so much better than DSL. The wifi router is working on one laptop via wifi. I think it asked for the 8 digit number on the label to connect. And that was easy.
But 2 phones and one other laptop will not connect. It keeps rejecting the same number that the first laptop accepted.
I have no idea what to do to get these 3 devices to connect. Any suggestions?
The main desktop is hard wired to the router and works great.
Todd
Eagan, MN