Author Topic: wife has fear of death if I continue to ride, What to do?  (Read 8263 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: wife has fear of death if I continue to ride, What to do?
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2012, 09:10:33 AM »
It's complicated, but basically, inherited family that I love as my own.
My hats off to you. That sounds a lot like my story. Im a grandfather of a 2yr old at 41. Married into a pre-made family and adopted her 3 children.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2012, 09:50:35 AM »
Well an outcome we can both live with.
I will not be taking any long trips out west or down south for a while.
Another crash and she say that's it for her and it better damn well be for me. (her words)
Life insurance will be increased.
She says I will never like that you ride motorcycles, but she understands how I feel about it and pending above conditions ride Wayne ride.
Again thanks for all the input.
See you on the road, at least in Minnesota for the next year.
Wayne

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
Well an outcome we can both live with.
I will not be taking any long trips out west or down south for a while.
Another crash and she say that's it for her and it better damn well be for me. (her words)
Life insurance will be increased.
She says I will never like that you ride motorcycles, but she understands how I feel about it and pending above conditions ride Wayne ride.
Again thanks for all the input.
See you on the road, at least in Minnesota for the next year.
Wayne

Sounds like a good compromise and plan, and if she becomes too worried about on-road excursions........that is what off-road is for. You live in Minnesota so I "know" there is some seriously good off-road up there!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »
When you look at doing some LD rides in the future, look at getting a Spot.  She can track your travels via web...  you can send distress signal fr help if needed too, even out in BFE nowhere.  That might help as well.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2012, 01:33:27 PM »
Funny thing about my wife she would rather only get a single update a day from me when I travel. If I call her it has to be from the hotel at the end of the day. Something to do with her anxiety while I am riding. I don't understand it but it works for her.

Offline kathybrj

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2012, 04:04:02 PM »
Since I pilot my own bike, I can't relate.

Blaise used to ride his road bicycle to work and would regularly come home with stories about buses, dump trucks, etc. almost running him off the road. I would just tell him to be careful since he had no alternate choice of roads he could take to work. Riding makes him happy. I figure he needs to know his limitations about whatever he chooses as his hobbies or mode of transportation. I respect his decisions and always have, even when the kids were young.

You can bet I wouldn't let him tell me I needed to stop riding.  :o
bbroj's better half

'14 Honda CTX 700

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
Funny thing about my wife she would rather only get a single update a day from me when I travel. If I call her it has to be from the hotel at the end of the day. Something to do with her anxiety while I am riding. I don't understand it but it works for her.
Wayne I call that "woman logic".
Danny: " I'll be home around 8pm (from work) since I'm not going out for supper after all"
C:  "OK that's fine, see you at home"
Danny (home at 8:30 half late): "             "
C: "why didn't you call to say you were going to be late"
Danny: "well I said "around" 8"
C: "you should have called...."
Danny: "well if I said I was going out for supper instead of coming home and said I didn't know what time I was going to be home, would that have been better?"
C: "yes because I wouldn't have been worried because you were late....."
Danny: "So not knowing what time I'll be home at is LESS worrisome than giving a time?"
C: "yes because I'm not expecting you at a certain time"
Danny: "but I could still be dead on the side and you wouldn't even know it...."

I could keep going but y'all know the ourcome of this one!!! ;D

I rest my case!