Author Topic: Battery  (Read 3932 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Battery
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:50:09 AM »
I did some searching but didn't really find much about this. It looks like I need to get a new battery. I had noticed lately that it was taking some extra charging but then I didn't ride for the last 2 months or so. Unfortunately I also didn't keep it charged up so this weekend I took it out, made sure the levels were up and then put it on the charger late Sunday. By Monday night it was at the 80% level I believe (Battery Tender Plus, red light on, green light flashing). It wasn't till Tuesday morning that the green light was on, no red light. I don't even want to try to take it out as is. The battery is several years old (3-4) so I plan on replacing it.

My question is, what type of battery should I look at getting, the lead acid or AGM? Also, what brands/models work in our bike beyond the standard YTX20HL-BS / YTX20L-BS / YB18L-A?

Being the cheap frugal person I am, I always look for the cheapest price.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Battery
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:11:25 AM »
The issue is more likely the charger. 3 year old batts tend to stay low during the charge, and the tender doesn not offer enough beginning current to shock the cells to really ionize the electrolyte and remove the sulfation,, they just don't.

If you stuck that battery on a conventional, non-automatic chargere, set at 2 amp cycle, for 2 hours, it would charge, and you would be able to monitor the progress on the meter (actually you HAVE TO montior, being a manual charger). You then will get a full charge. I went thru this during my spring ritual, when my batt was uber low because I left it in the bike all winter in a frozen garage. It was the second season on the batt, and winter prior I did have it on the tender in the frozen garage for  50% of the time (mistakenly shut it off a few times, due to the circuit I had it plugged into..my bad). It came thru the first winter fine, not so on the second one. I could not bring this new bat back up using the tender, even after a week... 2 hours @2amps, and it was back to normal. Jumped the shark on that one, but I'm sure I took a year off that batts life expectancy. This was a C14 batt by the way, bigger than C10.

For C10 I found the Odyssey the best all around purchase, never had it on a tender, and it lasted and was in the bike, working perfectly after 6 full years when I sold it

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:07:40 PM »
Man of Blues is right.

Why don't you take your battery to a local Advance Auto or a similar store and have them do a high amp full charge and see. Most will do it for free. They may also test the battery cells for free. I do that with my car and bike batteries every november since I have to park them outside. My last car battery lasted 13 years (albeit weaker by then). Bike batteries are always strong.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »
Bought mine on AdvanceAutoparts.com with a 20% coupon and local pickup in 30 minutes.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Jim __

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:24:11 AM »
Got stuck at work with an open cell in my battery and my only option was a wally world, EverStart AGM.  Unfortunately, now that I've had time to research this battery, there are more bad reviews than good.  So now it's just wait and see what happens.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
Bought mine on AdvanceAutoparts.com with a 20% coupon and local pickup in 30 minutes.

Do you have a manufacture and part number?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »
Man of Blues is right.

Why don't you take your battery to a local Advance Auto or a similar store and have them do a high amp full charge and see. Most will do it for free. They may also test the battery cells for free. I do that with my car and bike batteries every november since I have to park them outside. My last car battery lasted 13 years (albeit weaker by then). Bike batteries are always strong.

Well, I guess I could, but the charger does show a full charge. Like I said, I have noticed lately a difference in charging that leads me to believe it was on a downhill slide, and probably more so after having been left for a couple of months with no charging.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 12:28:06 PM »
Well, I guess I could, but the charger does show a full charge. Like I said, I have noticed lately a difference in charging that leads me to believe it was on a downhill slide, and probably more so after having been left for a couple of months with no charging.
For the record, I didn't say to have a parts store charge the battery, I do suggest them for a load test tho. That will show any defects internally.
As for the charger's meter, its kinda like sticking a 9volt battery on your tongue to see if its got juice, those meters are crude, and do not fully describe the battery full condition.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 01:58:36 PM »
And for the record I didn't say I would take it to the store to be charged. I merely made the statement that it was already charged  :doh: :banana :rotflmao:

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:59:59 PM »
I'll check it out a little this weekend and see what happens and figure it out from there. I am starting a woodworking project for my daughter this weekend so I don't know how much time I will have.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
And for the record I didn't say I would take it to the store to be charged. I merely made the statement that it was already charged  :doh: :banana :rotflmao:

I know, it was regarding the response from DC, with my quote contained..
 ;)

this place was fast, I did a phone order, and battery for my C14 was at my home in less than 40 hrs.. ready to rock..

this is the one for a C10
http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTX20HL-BS.html

it's actually more than my C14 batt was, but seems much more robust.. good deal anyways..
here is the C14 batt I bought
http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTX14-BS.html

delivery is free, and they truley expedite the shipping, especially if you call in the order, in leiu of online.