Author Topic: Help im stranded at home just need info  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Help im stranded at home just need info
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:32:38 AM »
I want to change the final gear oil so i removed the small bolt and drained all the oil but now i cant find my big socket to take off the big nut therefore i cant at oil & drive it, if i new what socket size i need i can walk to auto-zone and buy one, does anyone know what size socket i need for the final gear oil nut?

Thanks in Advanced.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Jim __

Re: Help im stranded at home just need info
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »
I think it's 27mm (save your receipt just in case).  Same size as the steering nut.  It shouldn't be very tight.  I've always used and adjustable wrench.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »
Thanks im gonna walk and go get it, i'll let you know how it goes.

yeah i tried a crescent wrench but it started to round off the nut.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
The lesson here is that I've always tried to remember is to remove the fill plug first. That way, if for some strange reason (and I've had it happen a couple times on bigger equipment) you can't get the fill plug out and you've drained the tranny (gearbox, whatever else) fluid you don't strand the vehicle.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »
Your not stranded or stuck. Remove the final drive and poor in the required amount.
It is easier to remove  the final drive with the rear wheel  then it is to remove just the wheel.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »
I think it's 27mm (save your receipt just in case).  Same size as the steering nut.  It shouldn't be very tight.  I've always used and adjustable wrench.

Yep it was 27mm, fresh oil is in and test ride was good.

The lesson here is that I've always tried to remember is to remove the fill plug first. That way, if for some strange reason (and I've had it happen a couple times on bigger equipment) you can't get the fill plug out and you've drained the tranny (gearbox, whatever else) fluid you don't strand the vehicle.

What he said  :P

Your not stranded or stuck. Remove the final drive and poor in the required amount.
It is easier to remove  the final drive with the rear wheel  then it is to remove just the wheel.

Good idea but That sounds like a lot of work to me but i have never removed the final drive either.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 03:24:19 PM »
Fyi
27mm and sae 1-1/16" are same.... just in case....
And iirc, the nut on the rear axle is that size also... I keep a socket, and 1/2" drive ratchet in my onboard/luggage toolbox... at all times.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline RLTherio

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 06:27:35 PM »
and do not fill it until it comes out the fill hole, only 220 ml or you might have more problems on your hands.

Bob

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 07:10:02 AM »
and do not fill it until it comes out the fill hole, only 220 ml or you might have more problems on your hands.

Bob

to late, i already filled it til it came out the fill hole, but then i spun the wheel by hand til more came out so maybe thats ok. i been watching it close and haven't seen any leaks.

BTW where can i get a new crush washer for the small drain bolt, i think it needs replaced every time but i did not have one on hand. does murph have them?

blues man i to carry a tool box in the saddle bag but i cant seem to stuff it with every thing i need' but if that socket fits the rear axle i will find a place on-board some where. Thanks

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 07:32:44 AM »
I had my C10 for 5 years and changed the rear drive oil many times....never changed the gasket.  On my C14 the rear drive oil gets changed every oil change...never changed the gasket there either.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »
I have two zipper make-up bags I found at Target that I stuff under the seat back in the tail light assembly area to hold various items.  They are about 2.5" square x 9" long, made of cordura nylon and cost $2.99 each.  They easily conform to the space and were both printed with skulls on them.

In them I keep two socket wrenchs (1/4 and 3/8), about 20 sockets, 27mm with 1/2 adapter stuck in it, knife, fold-up allen wrench, reversible screw driver, extra headlight bulb and other bulbs, cable ties, wire, extra fairing screws and several other random ones, and a few smaller bolts and nuts.  Adjustable wrench, wire cutters, vice-grips, and pliers all smaller scale.  Also a shop rag wraps the contents of each bag before it is stuffed away.

I'm a virtual shop on wheels.

P.S. - and a half used tube of RTV.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington