Author Topic: Maintenance issue - rubbing sound from rear tire area  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Wyowind

Maintenance issue - rubbing sound from rear tire area
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:51:25 PM »
Hoping someone can help.   Have a 2008 C-14  with 12,000 happy miles on it.  Getting ready to take it to the stealer for spring cleaning  :D (warraty still in effect this time)  I have a rubbing sound that is audible when just going at slow, quiet speeds.  It sounds like the rear tire or something that rotates with the tire is rubbing as it reaches a certain position in its rotation.   

So its sounds like this . . .  shhh ......  shhh .....   shhh   brief pause between rubbing sounds until it gets back around to the spot where it rubs again.  I started thinking warped rotors but there isn't really any shimmy in the bike when I'm applying the brakes.

Any ideas???

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Maintenance issue - rubbing sound from rear tire area
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:32:57 AM »
Do you hear it while the bike is on the center stand?  Have you recently done any maintenance to the rear of the bike?  Possibility is a warped rear rotor, brake pad noise..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline koval68

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:50:47 AM »
Sounds like a brake pad noise to me.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »
What is Spring cleaning at the dealer? :o  And the warranty has nothing to do with planned maint, so you will be getting charged.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Wyowind

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Thanks for responding.  I have a hunch its brake pads also but I haven't had a chance to put it up on the stand to rotate the tires.  Maybe when I get off work this afternoon.  Curious that it only rubs in a particular position.  Thanks.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »
Not really that unusual at all.  Brake pads normally do not retract fully merely upon release of the pedal/lever.  Rotors have a small amount of runout, even within spec.  If the sound stops when you gently drag the brake, you have probably isolated the cause.  Almost all bike w/disk brakes have some slight drag.

Another test is to run the bike up to speed, then slow down to a crawl (the slow, quiet speed you mentioned) using only the front brakes.  If the sound is absent, you have another confirmation.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Wyowind

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:48:44 AM »
After a little more "playing" around with it tonight I think you guys nailed it.  The sound pretty much goes away with feathering the brakes at slower speeds.  Close to dropping it once - whew that was close! ! !  Thanks again.  I learn a lot by watching everyone's posts.