Author Topic: Checked out the redesigned Goldwing (decided to get one)  (Read 8370 times)

Offline tonedeaf1

Re: Checked out the redesigned Goldwing at the dealer, today
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 09:58:13 PM »
How about you in the pilot seat? I've not sat on the wing so I have no hands on experience.

This is somewhat of a rider height issue, the seat it self is a good design. The engine allows a lower seat, but if you are too tall your knees will be higher than your butt and this puts all your weight on your "sitz bones". I am 5' 11" and I found I needed a rest about every 2 hours. I bought a foam/gel pad that both puts me up a little higher and takes of most of the "sitz bones" soreness away and makes the bike comfortable for about as many hours as I care to ride at one time. I have been looking for peg lowering options but I think that just turns the problem into a peg dragging issue (since I haven't found any acceptable ones). After about 6' 0" to 6' 1" you probably will not have the issue.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 06:56:22 AM »
Thanks. That's what I was seeing in the picture.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2018, 07:51:28 AM »
I took the plunge and bought a new Wing Tour.  My wife is very happy, loves the seat and she has more room.  The Wing is a sportish-Tourbike.  Compared to the C-14 it is much slower but faster than machines from Milwaukee and all other V twins.  It handles sweeping turns well, it doesn't do well on twisty left rights.  The suspension is plush at speed limit and is fine until you get to about 10 MPH over then you find out its much worse than the stock C14.  Cruise control on the Wing is perfect and I didn't have to spend hours and hours gaffing one on the bike.  The electronics are interesting some will like them, some (mainly gadget geeks) will find them lacking.  Basically a pleasant machine suitable for purposes that most C-14 owners find unimportant.  I will either keep my C-14 or get a Super Duke for solo riding.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2018, 09:32:08 AM »
I took the plunge and bought a new Wing Tour.  My wife is very happy, loves the seat and she has more room.  The Wing is a sportish-Tourbike.  Compared to the C-14 it is much slower but faster than machines from Milwaukee and all other V twins.  It handles sweeping turns well, it doesn't do well on twisty left rights.  The suspension is plush at speed limit and is fine until you get to about 10 MPH over then you find out its much worse than the stock C14.  Cruise control on the Wing is perfect and I didn't have to spend hours and hours gaffing one on the bike.  The electronics are interesting some will like them, some (mainly gadget geeks) will find them lacking.  Basically a pleasant machine suitable for purposes that most C-14 owners find unimportant.  I will either keep my C-14 or get a Super Duke for solo riding.
Cool! Thanks so much for Your input!
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »
I can only say what I read, that the new GW has the same motor with a slight hp increase, but it has lost weight so is a bit quicker. I'd like to have one but for the price of one, I can get a new awd Subaru or... TWO new C14's!
I can sit behind my keyboard and sneer that it is overpriced and slow but I bet if I test rode one, I'd fixate on buying one.
When you think about it, this might be the last gasoline powered GW ever. They seem to get a complete redesign every 20 years. Come 2038, I bet most everything by then will be electric.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 08:02:47 PM »
 Doing a little lurking on the GW forums, and a couple things that concern me are the lack of replacement painted panels in case of accident damage, and the number of people having to wait on back ordered accessories. The new wing has been in dealerships a year now, and they're still not making replacement panels for it? Has me leaning heavily towards the other choice I'm looking at as a replacement scoot.
 Hell, it seems dealers don't even know what the maintenance intervals are, as they're telling people to come back in 600 miles for the first oil change, when the owners manuals say first service is 4K miles.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 09:09:53 PM »

Hell, it seems dealers don't even know what the maintenance intervals are, as they're telling people to come back in 600 miles for the first oil change, when the owners manuals say first service is 4K miles.

Money grab. Preying on people who don't read their manuals.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »
How does the luggage capacity compare to a c14?
I read an article that said Honda research showed that current riders take
shorter trips (2-3 days average) than in past (5-6 days average) so that is
the rational behind this generation’s smaller bag.
I have a Shad 50 with a rack on top and I still don’t think that’s enough; got a duffle bag I’ll
strap to back off seat when I go cross country. If the new GW has less, it’s totally off my list
of future bikes to buy.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 03:30:05 PM »
I ran into the same thing when I bought my C-14 in July 2007- no spare parts. My bike had a scratched front fender that the dealer was going to fix but had no idea when the fender might come in. ?? So I took the bike as- is and maybe 2 mos. later the fender came in. But there was a serious lack of spare parts as well as farkles back in the first days of that new model. In fact I bought a CalSci XL not because I wanted it (though I did and still do like it) but because it was THE aftermarket windshield that was available.

It is always risky buying a new model of anything because the 'world' is just not geared up for it and you never know the model may crash and burn regarding reception and sales and just disappear from the market (thnk Edsel, Kawasaki KZ 1300, etc.).

Brian

Doing a little lurking on the GW forums, and a couple things that concern me are the lack of replacement painted panels in case of accident damage, and the number of people having to wait on back ordered accessories. The new wing has been in dealerships a year now, and they're still not making replacement panels for it? Has me leaning heavily towards the other choice I'm looking at as a replacement scoot.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 03:30:41 PM »
Have full face helmets gotten smaller? I always thought that was the benchmark, not how long the trip is planned for!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 03:36:25 PM »
How does the luggage capacity compare to a c14?
I read an article that said Honda research showed that current riders take
shorter trips (2-3 days average) than in past (5-6 days average) so that is
the rational behind this generation’s smaller bag.
I have a Shad 50 with a rack on top and I still don’t think that’s enough; got a duffle bag I’ll
strap to back off seat when I go cross country. If the new GW has less, it’s totally off my list
of future bikes to buy.
Definitely less than a Connie with a 50 liter top box. The top box on the wing is supposed to be 50, but the side bags are a little smaller and kinda irregularly shaped. I think the main reason behind the smaller bags is aerodynamics. They're (Honda) is claiming much more fuel efficiency, and there's guy's on the GW boards turning in over 50 MPG on trips.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 05:46:47 PM »
I ran into the same thing when I bought my C-14 in July 2007- no spare parts. My bike had a scratched front fender that the dealer was going to fix but had no idea when the fender might come in. ?? So I took the bike as- is and maybe 2 mos. later the fender came in. But there was a serious lack of spare parts as well as farkles back in the first days of that new model. In fact I bought a CalSci XL not because I wanted it (though I did and still do like it) but because it was THE aftermarket windshield that was available.

It is always risky buying a new model of anything because the 'world' is just not geared up for it and you never know the model may crash and burn regarding reception and sales and just disappear from the market (thnk Edsel, Kawasaki KZ 1300, etc.).

Brian

I agree, getting 'parts' here was hindered, but consider anything short of Godzilla, they had some hard times for a few years, earthquakes, tsunami, nuclear meltdowns... wash, rinse, repeat...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_disasters_in_Japan

I do remember having issues simply getting valve shims, common, but from Kaw, it was not easy...

all in all, I had very few complaints from my "first year intro-Bike"... :chugbeer: :rotflmao: :banana :banana :banana :salute:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline katata1100

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2018, 08:18:13 PM »
I can get over 50mpg on my C14 when I tour and that’s when I am doing 70-75mph. Credit the cruise control for part of that.
I have seen the inside of the bags on the GW on the net and they do have wasteful little nooks. It’s hard to believe that GW
has less luggage space than a C14.
Honda thinks the majority of owners will only travel for a couple of days so they don’t need a lot of space.
Really? I think Honda is as out of touch with its market as Kawasaki is with that H2.

Offline bob h

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 09:11:56 PM »
I purchased a 2018 GW specifically because of its differences from the past models.  Much less a bloated old mans bike!  Still riding my C10, as there really isn't much overlap in what the two bikes each do best!

I suspect that although all the owners of older wings were happy with their bikes, not very many were spending the money on new ones!  Honda had to make a change to sell new bikes.  Time and sales will tell if they made the right moves, but for me they did! 

I really hope Kawasaki does something to stay in the C14 market, as i't's a fantastic bike, espeially for the money.  They've got the same problem as Honda though, with sales numbers too low to not make some sort of significant change. I personally hope it isn't the H2!

Offline katata1100

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 08:34:53 AM »
Maybe people don’t but new GW because their existing GW last real long. If they want to make the GW into a weekend only tourer, fine but up the performance! I see the H2 as a week end bike. Most sport bikes can do weekend duty , just throw some soft luggage on them , strap a $20 roll on duffle bag from Walmart and off you go.
That’s where my ‘91 katana1100 is headed, its narrow width makes it ideal for lane splitting.
I have had my ‘14 for 7.5 years, with the mindset that at 10 years (I’ll be 57), I replace it with a GW .
I’ll have to rethink that. My original thinking was c14-GW-Buick!

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »
The last big trip I took on my C14 lasted 26 days, and a lot of the dry bag I had on top was filled with camping gear. As it turned out, I only camped for 4 nights the entire trip. So the part of my side cases that had changes of clothes, cold weather gear, air compressor and tire plugs could easily be distributed through the side cases & top box on the wing. I don't think I'll do much camping off the bike anymore. I just don't get enough sleep in a tent. Therefore, the increased comfort, the new front suspension, and the airbag option are the main selling points for me towards getting a Wing. That is, if I can wrangle the cost. They've really shot up in price. All the electronic wizardry is cool too, but not really a selling point to me. I have plenty of music and audiobooks on my phone.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 06:50:33 PM by jamiemac »

Offline jamiemac

Re: Checked out the redesigned Goldwing (decided to get one)
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 02:29:51 PM »
I've decided to spring for a new Wing Airbag model with the DCT tranny. Looking forward to being back on two wheels.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
The last big trip I took on my C14 lasted 26 days, and a lot of the dry bag I had on top was filled with camping gear. As it turned out, I only camped for 4 nights the entire trip. So the part of my side cases that had changes of clothes, cold weather gear, air compressor and tire plugs could easily be distributed through the side cases & top box on the wing. I don't think I'll do much camping off the bike anymore. I just don't get enough sleep in a tent. Therefore, the increased comfort, the new front suspension, and the airbag option are the main selling points for me towards getting a Wing. That is, if I can wrangle the cost. They've really shot up in price. All the electronic wizardry is cool too, but not really a selling point to me. I have plenty of music and audiobooks on my phone.

Another option is to book a room at Deal's Gap ... simple, small rooms but nice n clean and affordable ... lock your crap and side cases in your room and go ride: Dragon, Cherohala, BRP, etc etc etc

... until you're ready to leave the area altogether.

That is a lotta stuff man.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 04:54:23 PM »
Another option is to book a room at Deal's Gap ... simple, small rooms but nice n clean and affordable ... lock your crap and side cases in your room and go ride: Dragon, Cherohala, BRP, etc etc etc

... until you're ready to leave the area altogether.

That is a lotta stuff man.

Oh, that was shot on the way out and heading back home. I did just leave the stuff in my tent for a few runs. I like that picture though. LOL