Author Topic: What a Ride  (Read 2601 times)

Offline ShadowJack

• Weirdo Freak
    • Motorcycle Touring
What a Ride
« on: April 24, 2016, 04:50:15 PM »
Jeanne and I took a ride up to Laramie, across to Cheyenne, and back to Longmont,.

A little windy and 55F up to Ft Collins for the first hour.

Temps dropped steadily and wind increased as we headed north on 287. Winds were gusting at greater than 50mph according to the signs. At one point I couldn't get the C14 going faster than 65mph and I was losing speed slowly. At about 62 or so, we came out of the funnel and to the plains and picked up speed again. Temps dropped to 34F as we got to Laramie. My left hand was cold!

We were going to snag lunch but decided to continue on on 80. One guy at the gas station asked if we were going west on 80 because 80 was closed west bound due to snow!

As we got on 80 east, it started to sprinkle a little. There was fog on the pass ahead and signs warning of fog and high winds. Going up the pass, it started getting a touch wetter and a little more sprinkling. We had been seeing more snow on the banks which was increasing as we went up as was the rain. One of the road side signs had some stuck blown on snow and the temps were again falling. 34, 32, 30, 28, 26. This was sleet and temps were about where I was looking for a turn around and going slower but then we went over the pass. Still 26 and foggy. I popped open my visor to clear some of the fog on the inside. But the rain slacked off. No rain and cold I'm good with. Continued with the road drying out mostly but more actual snow falling.

The temps slowly rose. It was still pretty cold. Probably 40 or so as we got to 25 south. West bound at Cheyenne was also closed with a long line of stopped trucks and cars. Humorously, the tail wind had me seeing 68mpg on the lcd :)

Anyway, we pulled in at a Denny's for lunch then fought the winds as we headed south. There were a couple of scary gusts but we returned okay.

The helmet needs to be modified. It's pressing far too hard on the jaw. Maybe it can be adjusted.

Still need a heel rest for me. Throttlemeister work pretty well so that's good.

One thing to note. Folks talk about replacing the whale of an exhaust. When I replaced the 'busa exhaust, I found the balance was off requiring me to press a bit harder on the right hand and subsequently pack a bit heavier on the left saddlebag. The C14 is well balanced now. I can take my hands off on a straight and it basically stays straight. On the 'busa I need to lean left about half a butt cheek :) So thought before replacing the exhaust.

Otherwise good. The winds kept me from relaxing, elbows on knees. But the bars are closer together than the transalp but not as narrow as the 'busa.

Humorously, Jeanne was nodding on the way south :)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: What a Ride
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 05:08:25 PM »
Sounds like an interesting day.  :thumbs:

Offline ShadowJack

• Weirdo Freak
    • Motorcycle Touring
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 05:25:06 PM »
Yea  I didn't say it outright bit the intent was to see what changes will be needed before June's trip. Helmet and heel rests are right up there.

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 08:38:26 PM »
Made that ride many times when I lived in Greeley. On a Yamaha SX 650. I almost forgot how grateful I am to be on a C14 these days.