Author Topic: First drop for "Hey Baby" x 2  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
First drop for "Hey Baby" x 2
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:11:22 PM »
No pics, to pissed and adreniline high to get any.
First was Friday the 13th no less. Thought I had a solid spot at the campsite. Unloaded her, got the tent up and putting the rainfly on, and that sound you never want to hear. She rolled on her right side, due to soft ground on the rt. center stand, I look and all I see is the underbelly. Tank bag, rt. saddlebag and helmet laying off to the side, I grab her and pop her back up before the full tank of fuel runs out.
Outcome:
Broken saddlebag mount bracket and side driving light crushed.

Second: I'm on  a run down to the Outer Banks of N.Carolina. The breeze is blowing off the water and putting sand all over the place. Now the road is not bad, but some of the pull offs were not so nice. I get well down the run and see a pull-off that is just off the water. Almost no traffic, entrance is hard to see, I slow down to about 5 mph, see what looks like the entrance, WRONG. I missed it by 2 ft. The front tire dropped into the sand, I tried to power out and she just washed out on her left side with me on her. I know enough from dirt biking that you hold onto the handlebars till you stop, the left saddlebag takes a big hit, and you guessed it, broken lft. sb mount. Nothing else, sand is soft when deep. I rig up a repair with vise grips, a small wrench and duck tape.
So 11 yrs old, 82k on her clock, and I drop her twice on the same trip, hopefully they are out of my system.
Ride safe all, and watch those sand dunes.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Son of Pappy

Re: First drop for "Hey Baby" x 2
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 08:16:49 PM »
Rumor has it that dropping a bike is part of riding, I'd look at the bright side, you left on "Hey Baby" instead of the meat wagon.  Glad it was only bruised pride.

ATGATT BABY!!!!

Offline wendel

Re: First drop for "Hey Baby" x 2
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
I dropped my 2012 twice while having my Rostra Installed. Luckily, I had the full MCE setup. The bars sunk deep enough in the sugar sand that the saddlebag on the right side barely touched the sand. The next time was returning to the garage after testing the Rostra, spilled to the left side in the sugar sand and again no damage. The MCE bars are totally worth it. Comparing the lack of damage to your damage, they were cheap when considering they were bought during the group buy. I cannot recommend enough the purchase of some type of crash protection.

Glad you are alright and did not have to have the bike towed and you taken by ambulance to the Emergency Room. I did not have my good luck praying hands disc on the bike during the drops. Had them on when I arrived and departed at the end of the day and no drop. Go figure.
2012 C14