Author Topic: Here's One Thing That Pixxes Me Off  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Here's One Thing That Pixxes Me Off
« on: May 04, 2016, 01:40:48 PM »
My job entails work in and around email, along with actually getting my butt up from behind my desk and <gasp, horror of horrors!> actually INTERFACING WITH PEOPLE.

I get anywhere from 70-100 emails a day.

The vast majority of these are "copy all" responses made by someone who, in their retarded way of thinking, believe that everybody and his brother on that original email list needs to hear "Hey, thanks!!!!!"

Those who use the "copy all" capability on email without carefully considering why that's necessary, to whom the email response really needs to go, and why God and His Brother need to hear all about YOUR PIZZY LITTLE RESPONSE need to be publicly flogged.

Grrrrrrr.

That is all.

:cannon:
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Here's One Thing That Pixxes Me Off
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 02:05:52 PM »
Welcome to the club! This has been my life since the invention of email. The best is where people keep using "copy all" to create said annoying repeating thread and then others use "copy all" to tell people to stop using "copy all".  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

But then I think, hey it's just email, very easy to delete and or ignore.  :chugbeer:

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:16:57 PM »
The problem is getting worse. Instead of people actually talking face-to-face, they resort to email.

And, it's a fabulous CYA tactic.  ::)

Two and one-half years till:

Retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement, retirement,
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:26:35 PM »
A similar example that happened in the ITU, which is supposed to know something about telecommunications (although their view of email is X.400).

There is such a thing as an 'email exploder' to support group collaborative activities. An email send to the exploder is forwarded to the whole group, INCLUDING THE ORIGINATOR.

It seems one member had turned on a weekend out-of-office auto response, including people outside his organization. So the next output from the exploder triggered an auto-response to the exploder, in German. The exploder dutifully forwarded this auto-response to the group, including the originator. This generated another auto-response, leading to a runaway condition.

The entire group had full email boxes in a language most did not understand.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
Yep.  I get/send hundreds of Email messages a day.  The fraction of Email that is

* Composed correctly
* Formatted correctly (and no, that doesn't mean HTML)
* Addressed properly
* With a proper subject
* And a proper signature

is tiny.  And the way people forward and don't understand in-line reply, and TO when then should CC, etc, it is amazing it is even that high.  And that isn't even counting wrong clock setting, wrong TZ settings, or Email servers that don't follow the RFC for delivery.

And then there is freaking junk mail, UCE, SPAM.  Mostly due to people using MS-Windows and having malware [of course] and getting their entire contacts list stolen and forwarded and added to sold lists.

And yet, I wouldn't get hardly anything done without Email.... so can't live with it, can't live without it!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 03:41:35 PM »
My job entails work in and around email, along with actually getting my butt up from behind my desk and <gasp, horror of horrors!> actually INTERFACING WITH PEOPLE.

The vast majority of these are "copy all" responses made by someone who, in their retarded way of thinking, believe that everybody and his brother on that original email list needs to hear "Hey, thanks!!!!!"

Those who use the "copy all" capability on email without carefully considering why that's necessary, to whom the email response really needs to go, and why God and His Brother need to hear all about YOUR PIZZY LITTLE RESPONSE need to be publicly flogged.

Grrrrrrr.

That is all.

:goodpost:

100% Agree..............The use of a Semtex tampon is needed for people like these  :shoot:

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:18:27 PM »
I know exactly how you feel. I started counting my daily email traffic, I call it the 'Daily Email Challenge'. High score was today....124. Everything is the most important thing in the world, hotter than the fire of a thousand suns....and they all have suspense's of yesterday.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 08:13:10 PM »
I've only had about 10 emails all week, which is about typical. I like it that way. :)
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 05:04:49 AM »

Grrrrrrr.

That is all.

Interfacing with people? You need a new job man!

I'm very familiar with the 'copy all' issue. Back in the days when I had to work for a living I did so at a large university. My favorite 'copy all' e-mail fun was when someone would reply to an e-mail announcement sent to everyone on campus with 'copy all' and then for days afterwards folks would reply using copy all to tell the sender that he/she shouldn't use 'copy all' for such things because it clogs up the mailboxes.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 05:15:15 AM »
Interfacing with people? You need a new job man!

lol. Yep, I need a new job. It's called "retirement". Counting the days. . . .
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 05:19:50 AM »
lol. Yep, I need a new job. It's called "retirement". Counting the days. . . .

:thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 08:53:36 AM »
My favorite 'copy all' e-mail fun was when someone would reply to an e-mail announcement sent to everyone on campus with 'copy all' and then for days afterwards folks would reply using copy all to tell the sender that he/she shouldn't use 'copy all' for such things because it clogs up the mailboxes.    :o

Exactly! BTW: we have a thread "What makes me crazy and annoyed..." just for this: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13160.msg260820#msg260820