Author Topic: Which side of your lane do you ride in  (Read 6971 times)

Bob

Re: Which side of your lane do you ride in
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 05:10:26 AM »
I normally move back and forth to the opposite side for making turns into roads or when playing at speed. IMO, it gives you better visability through the turn and well as less of a lean angle (not such a tight turn), or in otherwords a better line. People all have their own reasons for where they ride. The only one I do avoid is just riding in the middle of the lane. Kathy again has already explained this, and I think that way also. I guess I agree with Kathy a lot in the thread!

I was taught that when approaching corners to move to the opposite side of the lane. So when taking a left I move right and when taking a right curve I will move left, although not as important because of the potential of leaning over the line on a left curve and being too far left.

My instructors also warned us that the middle of the lane can potentially be very hazardous with spills from cagers. Here in upstate NY riding in the RH side of the lane can be a challenge because the roads are usually patched or tarred there. I do move to the right when approaching hills as well when I ride alone.

Slabbed it to MA a couple of weekends ago and did about 3 hours in the RH side of the lane with Blaise in front and to the left. Saw LOTS of bikes hugging the RH white line or sitting in the middle. I guess people learn differently from place to place.

Offline DHarvey

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 06:09:42 AM »
My default position is LH side..primarily to aid cagers in front seeing me in their side view mirror. As for those who stay too far left in a left curve, their problem is what Kathy points out.. that's not where you should be. You 'set up' in the RH side for a left curve (and visa versa) and then arch your way to the inside as you negotiate the curve..for those familiar with track riding, you want your 'entry' outside so that you can 'drive' through the exit on the inside of the curve.. it's the fastest way through. However, that's track but I try to utilize similar concepts on the public roads. Interesting post.

Offline koval68

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 07:14:36 PM »
I never ride in the center! I stay in the left tire tracks of the highway lanes, except for the passing lane (right tire tracks). When leading a group in a staggered formation, in the passing lane I will take the left tire tracks. This way, every rider will remain in the same tire tracks as before.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline kathybrj

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 05:17:51 AM »
I guess I agree with Kathy a lot in the thread!

I knew you were a smart man Bob!
bbroj's better half

'14 Honda CTX 700

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 05:35:28 AM »
Somewhere in between the yellow and white lines.  Just depends on the situation.
T.S.R.

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »
This has been very informative to me & I believe I have learned a lot from all of your experience...Thanks for all of the replys
I've Never Had A Better Day