Author Topic: Stirring The Pot  (Read 3527 times)

Offline sport rider

Stirring The Pot
« on: January 11, 2019, 06:57:06 AM »
This should wake you guys up.

Yes, I know it's not going to work well.

yes, I have chatted with Steve about it.

Yes, I know I'm going to have to switch back to an airbox.

Flame suit on.  go ahead.  :D

Offline connie_rider

Re: Stirring The Pot
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:37:17 AM »
I sorta/kinda knew these was coming.
It surprises me that more Café Style projects don't have them as many are more for looks than speed...

My understanding is you won't be able to get the jetting spot on, but hopefully they'll run good enough for your project..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline sport rider

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:45:46 AM »
Hopefully, but I fully expect to get tired of the tinkering and go back to the air box.  I'm really just playing around, postponing sending them to Steve's Spa for a complete workover.  In time, Steve will see them.  :)

I'm still thinking about your 4-to-1 pipes.  ;)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 04:25:11 PM »
4 into 1 pipes////

Billy Bong Thornton....

as for pods... well, not going there...

But I do have some 4 into 1 Ontario Pipes.. never installed... yet....
NFS tho.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sport rider

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 06:27:00 PM »
Have you or Steve (or anyone else for that matter) tinkered with some other type of carbs?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »
with regard to the ZG1000, yes. i have about 45+ years with pretty much every carb installed on a bike, and many installed on foreign sports cars dating back to the 50's also (not necessarily trying to adapt them to bike use, but many were adapted for Harley use..)
Pretty much the succinct viable and usable carbs for use on a ZG, are the true Kehein vac carbs, from 28mm thru 36mm, we been thru that route, and each has merits, and pitfalls, and if you don't have the "guru" hat, and know them all inside out, and what needs modified to make each size function based on intake, compression, duration, and exhaust... it is not something to 'begin" adventuring into. we have (Steve and I) gone thru these sizes many many times, and as you can see,(or not see, as we have been doing these going back in time 15+ years.. trying to "hotrod" this bike); Steve has settled upon the best option for the un modified engine displacement, which is a fully functional, intact airbox, meticulously cleaned carbs, with some tweaks (2 minute mod if applied) and clean fuel... ridden hard and often... the simple fact of SISF's 2 minute mod,(knowing the intricate things specific to it, but would NEVER share; sorry) shows extreme improvement on this engine, by the specific jetting techniques, while cutting the incoming air almost in HALF, should tell you putting pods on carbs ain't gonna do it.. SOP (seat of pants) Dyno, based on engine sound, ain't it.. performance comes with price. It ends up like a boat, which I define as a container sitting in water, which you toss money into, and never get a return.

Listen to SISF, because, well because I can't just say listen to me...

YMMV, re inventing the wheel is not that simple.

as it's a Nekid bike... just go Turbo... then you only have one air filter... and a lot more fun, spending money and buying parts.
 :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

Offline sport rider

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 07:35:37 PM »
fully get it Rich.  I know you guys have been through it all.  I honestly expect this thing to run less than expected once I get it going.  it's mostly just cause I'm curious about how bad it is.  Steve mentioned one of the significant issues is the constant air flow.  he mentioned about riding with them and passing a truck which disturbed air flow and losing power.  I won't be spending a lot of time doing trial and error.  just get her running, see what she feels like, then decide it's worth sending the carbs to Steve for an enema and refresh.  I've still got the box and Murph has some new air box boots I'm already looking at.  I still have a laundry list of other things to clean up and replace before I even get to that point.  too much to do...too little money.  :D

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 07:14:46 AM »
If you really want to 'stir the pot', keep pods and put a car tire on the back.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline sport rider

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 08:55:38 AM »

;D ;D ;D

you mean like this? 

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 03:01:42 PM »
Put those whips on the grips H-D riders seem to like.
Riding hunched forward with your legs and arms thrust out while getting whipped.  I just don't get it and never will.  :loco:

Offline sport rider

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 08:55:34 AM »
I'm gonna put the streamers on this one.  any places to buy them? 

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 09:00:09 AM »
I've seen a lot of posts on your bike. But not the one we all need to see.
ie; Is the bike road worthy e'nuff that you've actually taken it out for a long ride?

Asking for a friend...   8)

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:24:42 PM by connie_rider »

Offline sport rider

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 10:41:03 AM »
I've seen a lot of posts on yoreui bike. But not the one we all need to see.
ie; Is the bike road worthy e'nuff that you've actually taken it out for a long ride?

Asking for a friend...   8)

Ride safe, Ted

Oh yeah.  I've done a ride or two of about 100 miles.  the only nagging problem I seem to have is the headlight keeps burning out.  I suspect a wiring problem somewhere with a surge or short happening.    Due to the COVID thing, I've not been riding as much as normal though.  working from home, so my commute rides are gone.  Weekends are almost always filled with trips to the lake on the boat.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 07:27:34 PM »
So, how is it running???

Also burning out headlights is often a bad ground.
Check the ground from the headlight and the wiring at the headlight plug.
Sometimes the plug has gotten so hot that the solder is melted, or the plug connection at the light bulb is poor.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline sport rider

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 09:45:25 AM »
it's running pretty well.  it's a slight bit cold natured.  takes a few minutes for the carbs to settle in and not have any glitches if I try to start off too soon.  other than that, it's doing just fine.  I'll check the wiring sometime if I ever get done with my piston rod replacement on the other motor and now with the sidecar motor "break".  too much to do!  my mom has been having health problems for the past 6 weeks and that's consuming a lot of my time these days.  :(

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 09:52:29 AM »
So, how is it running???

Also burning out headlights is often a bad ground.
Check the ground from the headlight and the wiring at the headlight plug.
Sometimes the plug has gotten so hot that the solder is melted, or the plug connection at the light bulb is poor.

Ride safe, Ted
as Ted mentioned, grounds are likely connected, issue if you never messed with any other circuits.. along with cleaning ground wires and Batt terminals, while Batt is disconnected, pull the 3 blade plug from the headlight bulb.. lighty scrub the blades on the bulb, and then use a small flat blade screwdriver, insert it into the backside of each plug contact, and slightly flex the internal female blade, to "tighten" the friction /contact surface... after years, these need a bit of attention..

Finally, as a inspection step, find the 2 blade connector, coming from the alternator, down near / behind the J-Box, it's a whit plastic one..unplug it, clean the male blades, and insert and remove it a couple times, to "scrape" the female ends clean..
That connection often goes unnoticed, and always results in diminished headlight function, and /or/ failure.... usually around the time it goes in into 'meltdown mode'..