Author Topic: NHTSA Recall Notice [rear brake]  (Read 61137 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: NHTSA Recall Notice [rear brake]
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2015, 03:16:50 PM »
Twit.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »
Plus, Jim's avatar is cooler.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: NHTSA Recall Notice for 2008-2012 Concours 14
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »
[...]"drop the bike off and leave it here, probably 2-3 days we don't have the parts" [...] My question is how pervasive was/is this issue?

Like others have said (and me in the past), the issue is real, but the odds of it causing a problem are probably miniscule.  I, personally, would never leave my bike at some dealer just waiting for parts, and fortunately my dealer ordered them just by my calling them... plus I waited a looong time (over a year?) until I had some other (more valid) reason to take the bike in before I even called to have them order the recall parts.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2015, 03:34:43 PM »
Cooler? COOLER? Mine has actual, delivered- from- the- heavens, SNOW! Now I think we can all agree, snow is pretty cool stuff and more so with a motorcycle on top of it (extra points if it is still vertical).

Brian

Plus, Jim's avatar is cooler.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »
Yep, that is what I thought doing the first recall- it was a fool's errand and unnecessary. But look what I found in mine.... seriously.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f82/BDF08012008/Originalrearbrake.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f82/BDF08012008/Thestone.jpg

I still agree that the odds are well against ever having a problem but you have to imagine the look on my face when I was changing my own linkage and found that little fella'.

Brian

Like others have said (and me in the past), the issue is real, but the odds of it causing a problem are probably miniscule.  I, personally, would never leave my bike at some dealer just waiting for parts, and fortunately my dealer ordered them just by my calling them... plus I waited a looong time (over a year?) until I had some other (more valid) reason to take the bike in before I even called to have them order the recall parts.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2015, 04:05:17 PM »
When I first heard about this recall I went and checked my brake lever and sure enough a pebble fell out!

My closest dealer is 35 miles away and the chances of me getting a ride from there to home and back are very close to nil. To ask my wife to do it would mean serious pay back, like going shopping with her. I think I'd rather pitch a tent in the dealers parking lot.
So my solution to the recall has been to use the rear brake only on Mother's Day and Halloween. That  has worked out ok so far, 138,432 miles.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »
Yep, that is what I thought doing the first recall- it was a fool's errand and unnecessary. But look what I found in mine.... seriously.

Ouch- that is scary

I still agree that the odds are well against ever having a problem but you have to imagine the look on my face when I was changing my own linkage and found that little fella'.

OK, I didn't mean to sound too flip about it- people really should take heed of the recall and get their bikes fixed.  Although the odds are tiny, the damage and injury it COULD cause is pretty serious.  In my case, I don't ride in rock/pebble-prone areas and don't put on a lot of miles either.  I was willing to gamble a bit for the sake of convenience.   But, ya know, safety and convenience are rarely on the same side...

I am glad mine is "fixed"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
I was absolutely flippant about it- I thought it was the stupidest recall on the planet. Then the pebble fell out and I still think it is pretty foolish but then again.... :-)

The real unfortunate part about this whole issue is that they did not fix it with the first recall. And they fell down on the matter due to violating very simple rules such as 'ever opening' (which lets things work their way out of mechanisms instead of deeper into them and getting stuck) and 'avoid parallel surfaces where one moves in relationship to the other'. The first one is understandable but after a federally mandated recall, I would think they would have put their 'A' team on the problem rather than that kid with the wet ink diploma. Their third solution does not violate any obvious 'rules' and does look like a real improvement.

Hey, they built a really bad bridge one time in Tacoma too but they did not do it twice.  ;)

Brian

<snip>

OK, I didn't mean to sound too flip about it- people really should take heed of the recall and get their bikes fixed.  Although the odds are tiny, the damage and injury it COULD cause is pretty serious.  In my case, I don't ride in rock/pebble-prone areas and don't put on a lot of miles either.  I was willing to gamble a bit for the sake of convenience.   But, ya know, safety and convenience are rarely on the same side...

I am glad mine is "fixed"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2015, 05:01:47 AM »
When I first heard about this recall I went and checked my brake lever and sure enough a pebble fell out!

My closest dealer is 35 miles away and the chances of me getting a ride from there to home and back are very close to nil. To ask my wife to do it would mean serious pay back, like going shopping with her. I think I'd rather pitch a tent in the dealers parking lot.
So my solution to the recall has been to use the rear brake only on Mother's Day and Halloween. That  has worked out ok so far, 138,432 miles.

:yikes:  I'd rather have all my nose hairs pulled out one at a time than have to go shopping with my wife!!!

My dealer called me, without any prompting from me, and told me that he had the parts in for my bike and that he would do the recall while I waited.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2015, 05:56:57 AM »
For those dealers that want the bike in the shop before they order the parts, I would make sure that the parts are available and will take the 'normal' amount of time to get there.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2015, 06:14:25 AM »
For those dealers that want the bike in the shop before they order the parts, I would make sure that the parts are available and will take the 'normal' amount of time to get there.

Dealers assume our bikes are just toys and we can do without them for weeks on end.  When I told one dealer that I commute on the bike and I will bring it in when the parts arrive, they changed their tune to one of "we have to pay for the part and then get reimbursed when the work is done".  "If you don't come back, we are stuck."

I said, "Trust is a two way street.  Order the part, call me when it comes in, and I will be back."

I am in there all the time.  Freegin idiots!  They ordered the parts. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2015, 06:48:13 AM »
My dealer had the parts and did the recall while I waited, about 1/2 hour. I would go without this recall rather than leave my bike for a couple of days.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »
:yikes:  I'd rather have all my nose hairs pulled out one at a time than have to go shopping with my wife!!!

You may reconsider if you ever try it. I got tired of trimming the darn things and started yanking a few out. Two decided to grow back
going in the wrong direction (ingrown) HURT LIKE HELL! until they finally came out,.... on the outside  :o :yikes:
Yep they went all the way through.  :'( :P
I'll go shopping, I've got Netflix on the phone and I rip Books on CD (from the library) mp3 files on it as well, with one ear
bud in and the other ear listening for SWMBO, it's no where near as painful as those wrong way hairs were.

Cooler? COOLER? Mine has actual, delivered- from- the- heavens, SNOW! Now I think we can all agree, snow is pretty cool stuff and more so with a motorcycle on top of it (extra points if it is still vertical).

Snow is cold, not cool. Sorry Brian, but the only thing cool in that Avatar is the hot chick on the pillion.  :-*

Offline Conrad

« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »
You may reconsider if you ever try it. I got tired of trimming the darn things and started yanking a few out. Two decided to grow back
going in the wrong direction (ingrown) HURT LIKE HELL! until they finally came out,.... on the outside  :o :yikes:
Yep they went all the way through.  :'( :P
I'll go shopping, I've got Netflix on the phone and I rip Books on CD (from the library) mp3 files on it as well, with one ear
bud in and the other ear listening for SWMBO, it's no where near as painful as those wrong way hairs were.

Hmmm, nairs growing the wrong way out you say? That doesn't sound too bad comparatively.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2015, 12:22:28 PM »

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f82/BDF08012008/Originalrearbrake.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f82/BDF08012008/Thestone.jpg

Brian

When the first recall was mentioned I was awaiting my written recall notice from Kaw, litteraly 1 day after reading about this issue I made a 7 mile run for an ADV tag shot...on the return trip the bike seemed to travel slower and slower, with great effort and throttle... it took a second but when I hit the rear brakes they we're rock solid... pedal would not move.... I pressed and flicked the lever a few times sideways and such, and kicked and released forcefully before a stone (I assume..) disloged, and I had no brake response at all from the pedal... but the brakes were still dragging.. looked down and disc was glowing...
I limped home in slow caution mode, and the brake released as it cooled, but the rotor was blue toast....
I just called my dealer, he said bring it in as soon as you want, I'll order the parts and call you when they arrive...
2 days later they called me, I trailered it in, dropped it off during linch, and picked it up after work.

Painless.. fully replaced caliper, pads, rotor, fluids...everything...new.

Now, mind you that could happen anywhere at anytime on a ride... and would make for a real bummer trip.
Second recall I had done when I had my TPMS sensors replaced, under extended warranty, and both the sensors and the brake parts were ordered by my service techs prior to me bringing the bike in... again, a 4 hour service repair, all for free, and painless...

I don't get this dealer thing where you have to drop a bike for a week, so they can order a part, that has an active recall notice on it with a notification they can see when they run your vin... that's jus plain stupid...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..