Author Topic: Nylon Fasteners  (Read 5363 times)

Offline NCR

• That'll do Pig
    • Face Book
Nylon Fasteners
« on: January 01, 2014, 01:14:14 PM »
I am having a fit on the parts fiche, I put my foot down on ice, foot slipped out and bike lean. I was unable to move my foor so I gently laid the bike on the left side. 2 of the black nylon/plastic Rivets snapped with the pressure. I cannot find them Help please? Since I'm asking, the Housing and Rivet will push in from the outside and the side panel won't have to be removed correct ? Many thanks.

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: Nylon Fasteners
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »
Go to Lowes... they have them in them in the Automotive Fasteners drawers on the nuts/bolts aisle.  You'll have to look around in the drawers and find what comes close.  I found some that were almost exactly the same, come in packs of 2 or 3, IIRC. 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline NCR

• That'll do Pig
    • Face Book
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 01:23:34 PM »
These are the nylon holders that will fit in thru the fairing with a nylon plug that pushes in to secure it correct? Done from outside of fairing?

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:35:57 PM »
Yes... they carry all shapes and sizes.  You have to look thru the drawers to find one that will fit.  Much cheaper than going to the Stealer.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline NCR

• That'll do Pig
    • Face Book
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
Excellent !! Thank you. I have never thought about auto or hardware store. I have had to order them for various bikes. Even with local dealer discount way too expensive.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 04:58:03 PM »
What year bike and which rivets?  Where are they located?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 05:06:52 PM »
Jim, didn't you park a list in a wiki or parts thread?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
I've got some fasteners there but I'm not at all sure what fasteners he's talking about.  When I dropped mine on the left side it broke the fastener that holds the bottom section together in the front of the bike below the rad.

Ok, figured it was a 2012 from the OP's intro...  Someone else will have to chime in on the fasteners.  I've got an 08, the fairing is different on the 10+ models. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline NCR

• That'll do Pig
    • Face Book
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
There are 2. Approximately where your left knee cap sitting on the bike is on painted side panel with fins. One pushes in facing up vertical the other pushes in horizontal.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 07:43:56 AM »
You can buy the exact rivets from Rocky Mountain atv.  You just need the diameter. I dont remember what Kawasaki uses, but they are even less expensive than the auto store.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/search?term=rivets

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 08:25:21 AM »
I am having a fit on the parts fiche, I put my foot down on ice, foot slipped out and bike lean. I was unable to move my foor so I gently laid the bike on the left side. 2 of the black nylon/plastic Rivets snapped with the pressure. I cannot find them Help please? Since I'm asking, the Housing and Rivet will push in from the outside and the side panel won't have to be removed correct ? Many thanks.

Kudo's for not being 'skeered to ride in the cold!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
You can also get them at Amazon. Search for "Nylon Push Rivet" & either (I think) 4mm or 6mm (depending on the size you need).
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline NCR

• That'll do Pig
    • Face Book
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »
The only Freeking patch of Ice in a 30 mile range. As soon as I put my foot down it was directly over a patch about the size of a Pizza Pan and everything started leaning. My CBR and ZX10 sure are easier to hold up in a pinch than this beast.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »
When you get the rivets and go to install them, you might find them difficult to install...  Apparently, when I did almost the same thing, even though I thought I laid it down as gently as possible, the force necessary to pop the two rivets, also slightly bent the structural piece they are riveted to...   No cost to bend back, but you need to remove some plastic to do so.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline NCR

• That'll do Pig
    • Face Book
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 03:40:41 PM »
I was very fortunate O'Briens Auto Parts had the Pop Rivets cheap. Never would have looked there. A good source, I snapped one after I first got the bike looking around under the Fairings.

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 08:10:57 AM »
I've got some fasteners there but I'm not at all sure what fasteners he's talking about.  When I dropped mine on the left side it broke the fastener that holds the bottom section together in the front of the bike below the rad.

Ok, figured it was a 2012 from the OP's intro...  Someone else will have to chime in on the fasteners.  I've got an 08, the fairing is different on the 10+ models.

A black cat tried to cross my path the other day and I heard a thud, but never went under my wheel..  Ended up breaking those 2 rivets on the bottom of my 12 fairing.  My bike went from "showroom condition" to "like new", and the cat only has 8 lives left.

Offline Dodgedoc

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 06:42:11 AM »
you can find them at an automotive body shop that does Jap. cars, just see one of the technicians.
We would not be here now if we did not leave there then

Offline NCR

• That'll do Pig
    • Face Book
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 11:56:27 AM »
Lowes have the perfect and IMO better more sturdy Plastic Rivets than OEM. $1.09 for a pack of 2. Stock# 138318 1/4 Nylon Push.The head is slightly larger but a perfect fit. No dealer markup  :D Never would guesses to find it at Lowes. Thanks Forum ! BTW I bought 3 packages. I broke one before taking fairing off and paid " The Man " at the dealership.