Author Topic: "Ride On"  (Read 9516 times)

Offline strester

"Ride On"
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:40:36 AM »
Has anyone use "Ride On" in their tires? If so what if any issues? I used it in my FZ1 with good results.
All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing....Edmund Burke
(2008 c14 silver)

Offline Conrad

Re: "Ride On"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:05:31 AM »
Here we go again...

:popcorn:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:49:48 AM »
Here we go again...

:popcorn:
:-) ...don't do it dude!
Will

Offline strester

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »
done.  :deadhorse:
All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing....Edmund Burke
(2008 c14 silver)

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:25:46 PM »
The TPS will love it.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »
When I had my first front tire put on my 09 the dealer recommended it. well it messed up the tire pressure sending unit. When I was in there getting a rear tire replaced there was a sheriff on a C14 getting both sending units replaced on police cop bike due to it. Stay away from it it you a TPMS

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 04:50:46 PM »
I tried slime on a tubed tires on my DR650. Picked up a nail and it didn't help at all. Of course slime is not Ride On and they say that it doesn't protect a tube as well as tubeless. But the experience was enough for me to pass on the concept.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »
My son has Slime in his scooter tires. If you over inflate a tire and then have to let air out, it clogs the valve stem and you have to replace it. Don't know if Ride On is the same.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 08:17:54 AM »
Ride on and slime are 2 totally different products. Ride on also balances the tire. Slime is bad on the rims, ride-on is not
Ride-On Motorcycle Puncture Demonstration

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:36:27 AM »
I can't offer an opinion on Ride On since I've never used it, but I can offer an opinion on the above video.

I'm sure that the demo involved a fresh install of Ride On in those tires. What about a tire that's had Ride On in it for, say 6 months, or longer? Will that stuff still flow into the holes the way it does in the demo?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »
Yes it will. I had it put in my front tire by recommendation of the dealer when they put on a new tire at 3500 miles. When I had that tire changed 8,000 miles later because of the TP sending unit failure it was still in a liquid form and flowing. The good thing about Ride-On is that it cleans up with water. If I didn't have a TPMS on the bike I would use it, but as I said before, It will mess up the sending unit. Ride on also balances the tires as you ride. I had zero weights on the front wheel of my concours when that stuff was in it.
Actually I just remembered I had it in the rear tire of my 08 Gold Wing, and after about 8,000 miles on that tire it was still showing little wear, normally I would get about 10,000 miles from a set of Gold Wing tires. Here is the tire with 8,000 miles on. I sold the bike so I don't know how many more miles it went.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 04:05:06 PM »
If I didn't have a TPMS on the bike I would use it, but as I said before, It will mess up the sending unit. Ride on also balances the tires as you ride. I had zero weights on the front wheel of my concours when that stuff was in it.

Yeah, I can't see how this would EVER be safe for tire pressure sending units, like on the Concours.  So even talking about if for the Concours, seems silly.  Even if we were *SURE* it didn't damage the units, there is no question in my mind that it would void the TPS warranty.

But aside from that, if it remains "flowable", to "dynamically balance" the tire, then it seems to me that after a week or less of the bike not moving, it would flow to the bottom of the tire, making the tire severely out of balance, until it had a chance to "flow" back around and become evenly distributed.  No?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 07:19:31 AM »
Yeah, I can't see how this would EVER be safe for tire pressure sending units, like on the Concours.  So even talking about if for the Concours, seems silly.  Even if we were *SURE* it didn't damage the units, there is no question in my mind that it would void the TPS warranty.

But aside from that, if it remains "flowable", to "dynamically balance" the tire, then it seems to me that after a week or less of the bike not moving, it would flow to the bottom of the tire, making the tire severely out of balance, until it had a chance to "flow" back around and become evenly distributed.  No?

To answer the first part of your question, the service manager suggested I use it when they installed my new front tire, so there was no question on covering the replacement  sending unit under warranty. As I said raelier, they were replacing both front & back units on a sheriif's C14 that had ride-on in the tires.
Just like the Duna-Beads that so many use in Gold Wings and many other bikes, they are at the bottom of the tire when stoped but start to spin and balance as siin as the bike starts to move agin.
DynaBeads demo video

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »
To answer the first part of your question, the service manager suggested I use it when they installed my new front tire, so there was no question on covering the replacement sending unit under warranty. As I said earlier, they were replacing both front & back units on a sheriif's C14 that had ride-on in the tires.

I could still imagine many dealerships denying warranty claims due to customer-introduced foreign objects in the tire.  Unless Kawasaki released some type of statement,  I would be wary.

Just like the Duna-Beads that so many use in Gold Wings and many other bikes, they are at the bottom of the tire when stoped but start to spin and balance as siin as the bike starts to move agin.

It isn't just like dynabeads.  Dynabeads are just that- beads.  They can move very quickly, anywhere inside the tire.  And when motion stops, they nearly instantly fall to the bottom.  It appears that RideOn is a gel that creeps slowly and clings, based on the videos I have watched.   It could take minutes, hours, days (???) for the stuff to finish moving, in gel form.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc