Author Topic: 'puters - I'm heading over to the dark side at last  (Read 9726 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: 'puters - I'm heading over to the dark side at last
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2011, 04:37:32 PM »
I am not sure about a 'loaded' Mac  ;)

MACs got a slick look and built well, and got the same brand recognition as Harley Davidson ;)

I for one will stick with windows or linux. I hate being wall gardened by an OS or software, if I can help it. And the day a MAC can game in high resolution, I will probably take a second look at it - not the dual boot Windows crap.

My computer at home is a watercooled behemoth with two AMD 6950s (overclocked), an i5-750 (overclocked), and all kinds of other gizmos - all in about $1500. It has been kicking butt since the past one year. Can a MAC do that?

I'm with you, I have an overclocked i5 windows machine with the right nvidea graphics card and i'm keeping it. Along with my home theatre computer which is loaded to the hilt.

What the windows machine can't do is allow for perfect colors (without calibration software/hardware for an IPS monitor) and a host of other things Mac does better when it comes to CS5.5 suite and such. Mac will always win on the professional graphics/print work side (and the only reason I'm setting a new one one beside of my win machine) sure windows will always win when it comes to gaming.

Creating graphics/print on a win7 machine would be like gaming on the Mac, just not best case scenario but sure it can do it.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »
Adobe software is here, now i just need the iMAC!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »
Nothing more to say.   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2011, 06:46:05 PM »

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 11:56:21 PM »
It got here early, thanks APPLE!

I fought struggled and kicked until a friend turned me onto the "system, help files"  now i can move around, find files, and use the keyboard and WOW I'm crazy about this silly Mac

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2011, 05:02:10 AM »
It got here early, thanks APPLE!

I fought struggled and kicked until a friend turned me onto the "system, help files"  now i can move around, find files, and use the keyboard and WOW I'm crazy about this silly Mac

You couldn't use the keyboard before?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2011, 06:56:02 AM »
You couldn't use the keyboard before?

Don't know if he had the same fun I had during his setup, like I did on my Mac Air... cntrl+(something)+spacebar to enter to get thru setting it up.  Once it was setup, everything acts almost same as a Windows based box.

The one thing I found different is the Delete key.  On a Windows based box, you place the cursor behind the character to delete, on Apple it's before.

I turned the Voice Over on for a whole 2 minutes... GAWD!  That function became so annoying... even my wife was screaming for me to turn it off... LOL!!!!  :o

So far I really like the little Mac Air... small and light... easy to pack.  Not so thrilled with my iPhone compared to the Droid X I had.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2011, 10:56:39 AM »
The one thing I found different is the Delete key.  On a Windows based box, you place the cursor behind the character to delete, on Apple it's before.

Windows computers have both a "Backspace" key and a "Delete" key.  The "Backspace" key works like you described, "The cursor behind the character", while the "Delete" key would work if the cursor was in front of the character.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2011, 11:04:08 AM »
I think he knew that and was pointing out that its different on an Mac
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2011, 07:29:06 AM »
Can't find the right mouse button, or how to have the functions of the right mouse button on the Mac?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2011, 09:11:10 AM »
Can't find the right mouse button, or how to have the functions of the right mouse button on the Mac?

I think its a long press.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 09:17:38 AM »

You have to talk into it.

Allow Scotty to demonstrate

Hello Computer
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2011, 10:26:12 AM »

Hold down the Control key before you click.  A menu will pop up with options to choose from.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)