Author Topic: Edit: Recent track day Photos (Video added)  (Read 7713 times)

Offline stewart

Edit: Recent track day Photos (Video added)
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:37:06 AM »
Some photos of my recent Track day at the New Hampshire Speedway in October.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:54:46 PM by stewart »
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline bhodge10

Re: Recent track day Photos
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:05:12 PM »
Nice pics, how did you like doing a Track Day? I thought about doing one next year.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »
Nice photo's. Looks like you had fun. My track day was rained out. we got on the track, but very slow speed for safety.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline stewart

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »
Nice pics, how did you like doing a Track Day? I thought about doing one next year.

My track day (ever) was at the start of the year and I learned on a lot, this is more than just blazing around the track. I can't speak highly enough of http://www.tonystrackdays.com and their team.

The photo's are from my 2nd day at the end of the year and I was able to apply what I learn't from the 1st day, and to learn more. My only challenge is I've been bitten by the bug, so I see a used track bike in my future, when I can convince my wife.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline stewart

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 02:22:55 PM »
Nice photo's. Looks like you had fun. My track day was rained out. we got on the track, but very slow speed for safety.

Bummer, but hey I would have made the most of it as I ride rain/hell/shine.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
Nice pics, I see the vidcam on your helmet, where's the videos?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stewart

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
Nice pics, I see the vidcam on your helmet, where's the videos?

I need to edit, lots of boring stuff in the middle. Waiting on a new Laptop from work, mine is on its last legs.

Here are some from the past.

http://contour.com/stories/new-hampshire-speedway-track-day-concours-14-rearview-unedited
http://contour.com/stories/nh-speedway-trackday-frontview-edited
http://contour.com/stories/9th-of-july-2011-ner-ride
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 03:42:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing the awesome pics 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »

The only track day I have attended was Thunder Bolt Raceway in NJ.......an awesome experience not on my C-14 but an 04 R32 FUN FUN FUN!!

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 07:38:39 PM »
Very cool Stewart!  :chugbeer:

Offline kumpel

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 06:59:29 PM »
Way to go! Great images. Such great detail. I could even recognize in one image where your eyes where looking ahead.

This year I participated in two track days with my '10 at Grattan Raceway. I cannot wait to ride the bike on the track again in 2012.
Kumpel

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
Great pics! I really want to do a track day or two but not sure I want to put my Connie at risk. I don't mind risking my bodywork but don't wanna hurt my Connie.
I have been trolling craigslist for a beater 600.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline charles r

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 03:43:11 PM »

Great pics! I really want to do a track day or two but not sure I want to put my Connie at risk. I don't mind risking my bodywork but don't wanna hurt my Connie.
I have been trolling craigslist for a beater 600.

Matt

As a long time auto racer, I always suggest taking the vehicles you daily drive to a high speed event of some sort. Most of us know that our vehicles behave a bit differently when reaching their limits, and a nice controlled environment is the right place to learn what that feels like. This way, when an emergency situation does happen on the street, you are better prepared with the knowledge of what your vehicle can, and can't, do. And this helps allow you to make "corrective" inputs, rather than "panic" inputs.

As far as ensuring yours, and the bike's, safety on the track...

For your first time out, just "restrict" yourself to riding no more aggresively than you would on the street. I don't even alter tire pressures at that level. All I'm concentrating on is learning the track, learning what the vehicle feels like, and listening to the instructors on proper techniques, and applying those. Raw speed comes as a result of doing things right... but nothing says to HAVE to push as hard as you possibly can right out of the gate.

Beyond that, the risk of of being hit by others is only a little higher than our average mountain twisties weekend. some of THOSE guys, are NUTS! :o  ;)

GREAT PICS STEWART! Gives me the itch to take mine back out. ;D

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 11:34:12 AM »
Hey, Stewart, have you edited that video yet? :)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline stewart

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »
Nope, travelling for work and my current laptop has a flaky HD, new one waiting my arrival at home.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline DaveO

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »
    The only track day I have attended was Thunder Bolt Raceway in NJ.......an awesome experience not on my C-14 but an 04 R32 FUN FUN FUN!!

Mike
i rode thunderbolt when it was brand new.
I had never been on a track in that condition. Awesome place !!!
Im 1.5 hour away  from milleville but wife convinced me im to old for all that fun.

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 11:26:32 AM »
i rode thunderbolt when it was brand new.
I had never been on a track in that condition. Awesome place !!!
Im 1.5 hour away  from milleville but wife convinced me im to old for all that fun.

Yea I seemed new when I drove it,I think I would be (more) broke if I lived that close.
  I really never got good on turns 8-9-(10) that was a bitch and my car pushed like heck,but it was fun trying.
   Anyone who can track there should-great place and it looks like a lot of improvement to the amenities have taken place since my visit. On my annual LBI vaca I always wanna sneak over-but an A-6 isn't the machine ::) ::)

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline stewart

Re: Edit: Recent track day Photos (Video added)
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »
Finally edited the video. Not the best since having the Camera up on the Helmet is all wind noise. I need to find a solution for a external mic placed down near the pipe.

http://contour.com/stories/tonys-track-day-oct-18th
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
That really makes me want to try a track day!
I did notice that many of the riders you followed kept their upper body straight in line with the bike and only shifted their hips off. I noticed a Strom in the mix but he had to pull over and let you by!

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline stewart

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
That really makes me want to try a track day!
I did notice that many of the riders you followed kept their upper body straight in line with the bike and only shifted their hips off. I noticed a Strom in the mix but he had to pull over and let you by!

Matt

I edited it heavily, even though its still 30 mins from a full day.

They ask riders with larger displacement bikes to slow down on the straight and let the smaller bikes pass, as they generally go quicker in the twisty parts. I adhered to this unless I was behind a much slower rider. The last two corners onto the straight are very tight and you cross back on to the NASCAR track, so I generally took it easy. Since this was my 2nd ever track day and I stepped up a group from red to yellow group (you can see the definitions here http://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/3665/passing-rules.htm)  I was on the conservative side of life, happy to ride at my own pace.

The team at Tony's Trackday are very good. They have classroom sessions off track and provide a lot of input. This time they ran a session purely on body position in the garage on one of their bikes. I learn't a lot and was able to apply it in the next session.

I'd recommend doing it if you can.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380