Author Topic: MPG on trip  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: MPG on trip
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 06:50:50 AM »
If yer caning the pants off it in the twisties or spend all your time in heavy traffic/cities, then expect low to mid 30s.
If you spend some time on the freeways and some in the twisties, then low 40s.
If you ride like a gramma and never come out of ECO mode then low 50s is possible.
If you really care about gas mileage, then you probably bought the wrong bike, unless you came from a ZX11 or Z1300.  ;)

Motorcycle magazine testers thrash the crap out of their bikes much like the rest of us do with rental cars.  :rotflmao:

I used to average about 44Mpg(UK) = 37Mpg(US) when commuting. My 08 model does not have ECO mode.
About half of my commute was at 40-80Mph on motorways mostly at constant-ish speeds, and the other half was 20-70 on twisty backroads where you are on and off the throttle and almost always accelerating, braking, or turning.

Now that I am no longer commuting by bike, it's now ALL twisties and my gas mileage has dropped considerably to 37Mpg(UK) = 31Mpg(US) despite running the MRP flash and running on 98RON gas (93.5 US Octane).

My best ever mileage was a whole tank at between 50 and 70mph and I got 48Mpg(UK) = 40Mpg(US). It was REALLY boring though.  :banghead:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 02:02:29 PM »
I got 50 mpg once.It wasnt  worth the sacrifice ;).  I average 37 but manage to get some lower numbers. Even on the long crises running 75 I only get about 37. I have the MRpremium flash and seldom use the eco mode. I have the MRA Vario shield and its usually in the lower position. I dont mind the cost but sure would like to goalittle further on a tank. Further, not slower!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 03:31:54 PM »
If yer caning the pants off it in the twisties or spend all your time in heavy traffic/cities, then expect low to mid 30s.
If you spend some time on the freeways and some in the twisties, then low 40s.
If you ride like a gramma and never come out of ECO mode then low 50s is possible.

I often accelerate hard and have fun, although still mostly slab-miles, and still manage mid 40's.  It is amazing how much it can vary for some people.  Weight and areodynamics are probably a lot of it.  I have also noticed typically lower numbers on Gen 1 vs. Gen 2.

If you really care about gas mileage, then you probably bought the wrong bike

Agreed

Motorcycle magazine testers thrash the crap out of their bikes much like the rest of us do with rental cars.  :rotflmao:

Well, that review I linked specifically said they were using FEAM for half the time.  So, presumably, at least half the time they were doing nothing but low-throttle slab miles.  In which case, they should have been getting much better mileage.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 03:35:48 PM »
Even on the long crises running 75 I only get about 37. I have the MRpremium flash and seldom use the eco mode. I have the MRA Vario shield and its usually in the lower position. I dont mind the cost but sure would like to goalittle further on a tank. Further, not slower!

Yeah, that doesn't sound right, especially on a gen 2 for slab riding.  I easily get 45+ on trips going 60-75Mph for long periods.  Are you using correct octane?  Do you have a lot of extra weight on the bike?  Something needing service maybe???
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2020, 06:59:24 PM »
I seldom ride less than 75 though. Might run 70 now and then. Carry about 25 lbs gear of gear. Empty top case. I am not a big guy. No dragging brakes. Bike runs great. I do seem to get better mileage at higher elevations. Wind plays a huge factor and it almost always blows in ND. Seldom in ones favor 😃

Yeah, that doesn't sound right, especially on a gen 2 for slab riding.  I easily get 45+ on trips going 60-75Mph for long periods.  Are you using correct octane?  Do you have a lot of extra weight on the bike?  Something needing service maybe???
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2020, 11:20:03 PM »
I seldom ride less than 75 though. Might run 70 now and then. Carry about 25 lbs gear of gear. Empty top case. I am not a big guy. No dragging brakes. Bike runs great. I do seem to get better mileage at higher elevations. Wind plays a huge factor and it almost always blows in ND. Seldom in ones favor 😃

Well, not much to explain there, then.  A top case might be destroying your areodynamics at your speeds, who knows.  I am at low elevations all the time, so that wouldn't explain anything.  Wind can matter, of course, but statistically, it wouldn't work against you ALL the time (plus there seems to be plenty of it here, too).  Seems like an interesting mystery.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 04:35:51 AM »
Aero makes a lot of difference. I mostly ride without the sidebags, but I have a CalSci Large screen, a Givi Maxia4 trunk and I weigh 410lbs.
Unless on a long trip I am also pretty heavy handed as I love acceleration.
Corners are ok, but only because they are an excuse to get on the throttle again,.... hard  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2020, 07:34:16 AM »
If you ride like a gramma and never come out of ECO mode then low 50s is possib
My best ever mileage was a whole tank at between 50 and 70mph and I got 48Mpg(UK) = 40Mpg(US). It was REALLY boring though.  :banghead:

Hmmm, I guess I'm boring & ride like gramma. My gen 1 bike consistently gets 46 - 48, pretty much wherever or how ever I ride. When I head out west & get at elevation which is usually once or twice a year, high 50's are common. 85% of my riding is travel miles which is loaded with camping gear or 2 up & loaded with wife. Never ridden without the bags & have a MRA Vario shield which is small.

My mileage does drop some in the winter & I tribute that to winter blend gas, the way cold air compresses is also a factor. I'd say 42 -43 in winter.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2020, 08:02:07 AM »
That's it! I am getting a new bike😁
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maverick9611

• "tryin not to get old"