Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 672747 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1220 on: January 04, 2014, 07:26:37 AM »
When we first got married, we lived in a duplex with electric heat- it still stings now just thinking about it :-( And for the gobs of money it cost, we were always cold.

I had a great source of wood- a local pallet maker sold me the end blocks of the 4X's. But that place was lost in a fire some years ago (no one hurt though). Now I just buy cordwood. The problem with cutting your own in this area is finding a source of standing wood that isn't privately owned and restricted, or publicly owned and restricted.

Brian

Back when we bought our house in 1986 it was heated with electric baseboard heating only. After finding out what my electric bill looked like over that first winter I decided to buy and install a nice air tight wood stove. I was able to install some ductwork and a few small volume thermostatically controlled fans up in a false ceiling that allowed the heat from the stove to reach the bedrooms and other areas of the house. I heated the house that way for around 10 years. I saved a ton of money since I had a good free source for firewood (It didn't feel free when I was cutting down trees, splitting, and hauling logs). In '96 my brother (he's in the HVAC business) and I installed a gas furnace and the associated ductwork in the house and the 'free' heat days ended. I still have the wood stove and still use it from time to time. It's fantastic to fall back on that stove for heat when/if the power goes out. Heck, you can even cook a full meal on that thing and bake bread too. 

I’ll be firing that stove up for sure on Monday when the forecast highs around here will only reach MINUS 15.    :o
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #1221 on: January 07, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gsun

« Reply #1222 on: January 07, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »

I thought you were going to say the mechanics address and phone number!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1223 on: January 08, 2014, 04:11:45 AM »
There's lots of old Ford trucks still on the road as are Chevys and Dodges.  I haven't heard anything particularly negative about any of them.  I don't think I would own a GMC or Chevy truck, though, as I'm just not a fan of GM.  Nothing to do with how they are made.  Just don't like the brand that much.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #1224 on: January 08, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
Nothing wrong with Chevrolets.  My wife likes hers.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1225 on: January 13, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »
So to answer the burning question of whether deer, or members of the deer family are Kosher or not the answer is...... sorta', kinda' but not likely. Not being Jewish myself, it has never posed a problem but hey, it crosses one's mind on occasion, right?

The animal and its products are, in fact, Kosher. The rule is: any land animal that chews its cud and has cloven hoofs is Kosher. So any member of the deer family is A-OK for Jewish people to eat without fear of a smiting, or being 'smote' which while I am not entirely sure what it is simply cannot be good. Also good to know for us non- Jewish folks sitting close to Jewish people eating a big ole' helping of venison 'cause really, how far does a smiting reach and could we possibly get some on us in the event....?

But wait: just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water for another big helping of moose, something else gets in the way. There are other aspects in Kashrut law that could bite one in the heinie, so to speak. The method of animal slaughter is also quite specific and very much a requirement; that method is to slice the neck through the major blood pathways with a single, painless cut. The animal dies quickly without pain or shock, both of which must be avoided. And therein lies the problem: most members of the deer family that end up available as meat are shot, which is absolutely outside the bounds of OK! So, while the animal itself is Kosher and fine to consume, one cannot consume an animal that was not killed properly!

Oy Vei, look at all the rules! It really is tough to be Jewish I guess.

Next time on "Name that religion", a quick look into why Jehovah's Witnesses will not accept any blood products, including a transfusion.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1226 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:58 AM »
Well, that takes a big bull elk out of the question.  This means Mr Elkhoof isn't kosher :o

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1227 on: January 13, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »
Ah but he is! He is kosher, but kashrut law was not followed to kill him so he remains kosher but uneatable.... for those who follow Jewish dietary laws at least. I, on the other hand, would be free to snack on him without fear of retribution..... other than the probable botulism and definite self- loathing I would end up with.

And 'illegal' methods of death include death from natural causes as well as any form of traumatic death.... there goes anything you find on the side of the road or in the woods too.

;)

Brian

Well, that takes a big bull elk out of the question.  This means Mr Elkhoof isn't kosher :o

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1228 on: January 13, 2014, 02:12:31 PM »
So, what you are hinting at is I start using a straight razor for the kill?  Sharpest thing in the house for sure ;D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1229 on: January 13, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »
Well, that would work.... but you are going to have to wear slippers to sneak up on the game so you don't get it worried....

Brian

So, what you are hinting at is I start using a straight razor for the kill?  Sharpest thing in the house for sure ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1230 on: January 13, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »
Well, that would work.... but you are going to have to wear slippers to sneak up on the game so you don't get it worried....

Brian
Nah, he's in one of those mariwanna states. Just leave a bud on a stump.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1231 on: January 13, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »
Nah, he's in one of those mariwanna states. Just leave a bud on a stump.
Back in the day it was "Getting stoned".  Knowadays it's "Getting baked".  Leaf MJ gets thrown out all in favor of the almighty bud.  I want to try cooking some leaf down for CBD extraction, anyone out there have real life experience doing this?  Zero interest in the head high, but the CBDs work for the back pain, problem is getting good tincture on a regular basis.

PS, moccasins, the original "Slipper" ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1232 on: January 13, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »
So way back in 1914, an American inventor got some people to back him, created the first electro- mechanical refrigerators and put them into production. Aptly enough, he named the company the "Electro-Automatic Refrigerating Company" but that proved to be a bit clunky for general use. So in 1916, the name of the company was changed to "Kelvinator" in honor of Lord Kelvin, the discoverer of absolute zero. Which of course no Kelvinator could actually reach that low temperature but it was the coldest thing in the average house.... (yep, this is where one inserts the hostile wife jokes).

Brian

Offline Conrad

Stupid is as stupid does...
« Reply #1233 on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:48 AM »
 :o

ST. CHARLES, IL TOWNSHIP – Authorities last week told a St. Charles Township resident he could not shoot at icicles from his bathroom window.

According to a Kane County Sheriff’s Office report, police responded Friday morning to the 34W300 block of Fox River Drive in St. Charles Township because a resident saw a neighbor firing a gun out of his window.

The loud gunshots scared her dog, the resident told police.

The man, who lived in the 6N300 block of Essex Avenue, appeared to be shooting at icicles off an overhang at his house – not at anyone, police reported.

The man told police he was indeed shooting his .22-caliber revolver out the bathroom window at icicles. He reportedly claimed he was firing the gun in a safe manner because he was pointing it up and not at anybody.

“He stated that if anybody was hit by the falling round, it would be just like getting hit with a piece of hail,” police reported.

With neighbors nearby and the potential danger for pedestrians, police reportedly told the man he couldn’t shoot out his window. They suggested he use a broomstick or long pole instead, the report said.

“[He] advised that he didn’t know he couldn’t shoot out the window of his residence, and it won’t happen again,” according to the report.

Well, at least hs was shooting in a safe manner.    :censored: idiot!!!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #1234 on: January 16, 2014, 09:29:22 AM »

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1236 on: January 16, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »
DFS updated, no longer in the child domain. Happier days are upon us.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Sgt Mac

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1238 on: January 20, 2014, 11:36:48 AM »
Ordered something from Amazon at 5pm on Sunday. It arrived at my work address at 10:30am Monday. Did they just anticipate I planned to discover something I would want, and ship it just in case I ended up ordering it?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1239 on: January 20, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »
Ordered something from Amazon at 5pm on Sunday. It arrived at my work address at 10:30am Monday. Did they just anticipate I planned to discover something I would want, and ship it just in case I ended up ordering it?
They shipped it on Friday.  :rotflmao:

CNET
 News

Amazon to ship things before you've even thought of buying them?

Amazon files a patent for "anticipatory package shipping." The idea is that the company will know from your buying patterns what you're likely to want next.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57617458-71/amazon-to-ship-things-before-youve-even-thought-of-buying-them/