Author Topic: Dirty Clutch Fluid  (Read 3670 times)

Offline rvan

Dirty Clutch Fluid
« on: January 08, 2015, 01:01:01 PM »

I bled my brake and clutch fluid about 4 months and 500 miles ago.All went well with no issues. Yesterday a rode and noticed that the clutch fluid was probably 50% darker then the brake fluid. I have had several bikes but never with clear reservoirs so maybe this is a common occurrence and I did not notice. Is that the case? Or is there an issue I should look for?

Thanks

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Dirty Clutch Fluid
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:14:55 PM »
Clutch fluid always darkens a lot faster than the same fluid used in brake systems. Nothing to worry about.

The reason for this is because the clutch hydraulic system actually moves the full stroke (Easy Boys!) of the system every time it is used. Brakes, by comparison, do not and really do not move hardly at all during use; they are a pressure based device rather than a movement based device. The movement of both the master cylinder's and slave cylinder's pistons causes a bit of wear in each cylinder, and that wear is metal that is worn away from each cylinder; that metal shows up as 'fines' by darkening the hydraulic fluid.

Brian

I bled my brake and clutch fluid about 4 months and 500 miles ago.All went well with no issues. Yesterday a rode and noticed that the clutch fluid was probably 50% darker then the brake fluid. I have had several bikes but never with clear reservoirs so maybe this is a common occurrence and I did not notice. Is that the case? Or is there an issue I should look for?

Thanks
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rvan

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »

Makes sense. Thanks Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 01:59:58 PM »
Brian, is this true with blinker fluid as well?  ;)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 02:46:44 PM »
No, the aura cast by KiPass takes care of that. It actually even takes care of the clutch fluid too- notice how it stops turn darker once it hits black? Think that is a coincidence? Nope, the awe- inspiring system that is KiPass rides heard over everything on the bike.

Brian

Brian, is this true with blinker fluid as well?  ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

sailor_chic

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »
The KiPass just continues to amaze me with its endless capabilities!

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:47:30 PM »
The OP must have a faulty KiPass system...my KiPass keeps all of the fluids pristine at all times.

Engine oil
rear drive oil
brake fluid
clutch fluid
blinker fluid

A few wrappings of black tape might cure the problem...not the darkened fluid, but his observation!

Seriously, I change it annually (almost 40,000 miles last year) and it is fine. 

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »
The OP must have a faulty KiPass system...my KiPass keeps all of the fluids pristine at all times.

Engine oil
rear drive oil
brake fluid
clutch fluid
blinker fluid

A few wrappings of black tape might cure the problem...not the darkened fluid, but his observation!

Seriously, I change it annually (almost 40,000 miles last year) and it is fine.

I should start putting my FOB next to my beer in the fridge to keep it pristine and fresh.  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 07:32:46 AM »
My beer doesn't sit that long...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.