Author Topic: I will miss the 5 spd....  (Read 9455 times)

Offline concoursbdh

I will miss the 5 spd....
« on: November 30, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »
Great color and a few nice changes!  Not sure about the 6th gear though....  The FJR 2nd gen and up were very good with 5 gears!

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/11/30/2016-yamaha-fjr1300a-and-fjr1300es-sport-touring-motorcycle-review-first-look-photos/

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: I will miss the 5 spd....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 05:06:46 AM »
At least Yamaha is listening to their riders unlike some other manufacturer....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 07:23:32 AM »
Ever since owning a 6-speed Bridgestone 350 GTR, other transmission arrangements don't seem right to me.

So the CB160 (4 speeds) and the Yamaha R5 and ZG550 Vision (5 speeds) always seemed wanting, while the 350 GTR, RD350, Concours C10, EX250 and SV650S seem right with the universe.

Five speeds is ok for a car (my crummy little Yaris) but a bike with sporty flavour needs six.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 07:58:05 AM »
If I were in the market for a new bike this year, the FJR would make the short list. Throttle by wire, CC, ESA and now 6 speed. Kawi has got to respond in kind or see some erosion of their market share.

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »
If I were in the market for a new bike this year, the FJR would make the short list. Throttle by wire, CC, ESA and now 6 speed. Kawi has got to respond in kind or see some erosion of their market share.

I'm anxious to read a good, comprehensive road test and it would be great if they had a 5 speed (Gen III) for comparison. The helical gears will quiet the loud whine that all FJRs have had up to this point. The 20% easier clutch pull is a good improvement also. Love the LED lights and the "Lean-Angle Sensitive" lighting should be standard on both models.

Dan

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 01:47:56 PM »

:thumbs:  Agreed.  If it still has it's larger gas tank and now gets better mileage with 6 gears, that my sway some long distance riders for sure.
Especially with built in cruise.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 02:30:56 PM »
Kwackers market share for the C14 has already been eroding for the last several years if not more.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »
Kwackers market share for the C14 has already been eroding for the last several years if not more.

Agreed and it's a shame in that the C14 is a superior platform IMO. All it needs is some relevant updating.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 03:39:40 PM »
With Kawa's propensity to change ever so slowly, maybe they'll respond with a plug & play cruise that can be retrofit back to 08.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline concoursbdh

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »
Sorry, still say that most people complaining about the 5 spd FJR has never ridden one at all or only the first generation....  There certainly are more complaining on the FJR site that I frequent because they do know how good it is as it is now!  All 4 that I have had got better fuel mileage than either of my 2 C14's and require less shifting in most any situation.  And as usual, I never change and would buy another Concours tomorrow if it wasn't for the loss I would take selling in probably a year or so...  need to be finding a way to buy this new FJR and give it a try I guess!  :)

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 07:53:13 PM »
Agreed and it's a shame in that the C14 is a superior platform IMO. All it needs is some relevant updating.

As does the Honda ST1300. Both outstanding motorcycles, they need a wave of the state-of-the-art electronics wand and maybe a look into electronic suspension. I really like what Yamaha has done to the FJR, it demonstrates a serious approach to this market segment and a dedication that is to be admired. I have a barely two year old 2014 (in my favorite color) so I'm not badly served by the current Gen III but it looks like the future is bright for this solid super sport tourer.

Dan

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 08:28:19 AM »
As does the Honda ST1300. Both outstanding motorcycles, they need a wave of the state-of-the-art electronics wand and maybe a look into electronic suspension. I really like what Yamaha has done to the FJR, it demonstrates a serious approach to this market segment and a dedication that is to be admired. I have a barely two year old 2014 (in my favorite color) so I'm not badly served by the current Gen III but it looks like the future is bright for this solid super sport tourer.

Dan

Having just bought a 2004 ST1300 and coming from two C10s, I see no real need for a six speed in the ST. With the C10 I was always thinking there should be a "seventh" gear by the sound/feel of things (yes, well aware of SISF mod). Gear ratios were/are too close together and more suited for a rocket type sport bike, from which it evolved from.
The ST is geared very well with "just" five speeds for its (or at least for my) use. Being used to the feel/sound of the C10 at cruising speeds, with the ST I found myself often in forth gear instead of fifth on the drive home and going faster than what I'm known for. First gear is actually useabe and you don't have to shift immediately. Never thought just five gears would be enough or that hard to keep track of.
Only a 100 miles on it so far by me, so maybe/probably change my viewpoint eventually, but pretty happy for now.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 12:39:30 PM »
If it ain't Team Green, it ain't gonna be between, deez legs.
Kawasaki's have a soul. Yamadogs, not so much. :finger_fing11:
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 10:47:43 PM »
If it ain't Team Green, it ain't gonna be between, deez legs.
Kawasaki's have a soul. Yamadogs, not so much. :finger_fing11:

I have to agree, although my Connie is Silver.... ;D
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 11:06:01 PM »
I have to agree, although my Connie is Silver.... ;D

Yamahas have always been my second favorite- the 2016 FJR is stepping up the game, and supporting that ever so narrow market we all love.

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »
Having just bought a 2004 ST1300 and coming from two C10s, I see no real need for a six speed in the ST. With the C10 I was always thinking there should be a "seventh" gear by the sound/feel of things (yes, well aware of SISF mod). Gear ratios were/are too close together and more suited for a rocket type sport bike, from which it evolved from.
The ST is geared very well with "just" five speeds for its (or at least for my) use. Being used to the feel/sound of the C10 at cruising speeds, with the ST I found myself often in forth gear instead of fifth on the drive home and going faster than what I'm known for. First gear is actually useabe and you don't have to shift immediately. Never thought just five gears would be enough or that hard to keep track of.
Only a 100 miles on it so far by me, so maybe/probably change my viewpoint eventually, but pretty happy for now.

I don't think the ST needs a six speed either, I was commenting on the need for updating (throttle-by-wire, integrated electronic cruise control, ES, TC, etc.).

Dan

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 05:51:10 PM »
I don't think the ST needs a six speed either, I was commenting on the need for updating (throttle-by-wire, integrated electronic cruise control, ES, TC, etc.).

Dan

Ahh, sure, my mistake. Carry on....
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 09:29:21 AM »
Come on, I can't believe no one has rode the new 6 speed FJR yet.  This bike is on my radar screen for sure, but I would love to hear first hand comments on how it compares to the older version.  Anyone???

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
We're Kawi knuts around here, Homeboy. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
Come on, I can't believe no one has rode the new 6 speed FJR yet.  This bike is on my radar screen for sure, but I would love to hear first hand comments on how it compares to the older version.  Anyone???

Absolutely no need to, my 2014 5 speed does everything that I want it to do (and more).

Dan