Author Topic: Tire presser sensor - how it works  (Read 10169 times)

Offline bigbaldy33

Re: Tire presser sensor - how it works
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »
Went to Batteries Plus.......they spot welded tabs on and soldered them in place.....cost 6 bucks and I gave the tech a '$10 tip for doing the WHOLE thing for me. Heat can destroy both the battery and the circuit board and the spot welder does the job well. Just take them in separate bags so you don't confuse the front and the rear sensors.

Big Baldy

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 12:24:02 PM »
I swear I did a search and did not come up with anything substantial. I just want an understanding how the tire pressure sensor internally works. Does it detect the amount of force being applied upon it? Basically how does it sense the pressure? The reason I am asking is I took the sensor out when I was changing my rear tire and wanted to change the battery. I got a new battery, but it is a PITA to solder a wire to the battery. So what I did is shown in the picture. It appears they fit fine, but wanted to put a rubber grommet on top and bottom to make sure enough pressure gets applied to the disc to make contact. If I do put rubber grommets, the encasing becomes tougher to shut. So was thinking perhaps I can press it in and just put tape around it (or secure it in some other means). But did not want that to cause issues with functionality.

I've put this together for your enjoyment....actually for anyone else interested in these sensors and their issues.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13831.0

Still working on it but am at least up to page 25 in rooting out the TPMS threads.  You're right in that it's damnably difficult to search these out as we all use different terms.  It ain't no better on the 'other' site either using search.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline texrider

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »
I've had both sensor batteries in with a friction fit for some time, and they work like a champ. Solder and weld if you must, but they don't need it.

Now oil, on the other hand...  ;D
2014 Valkyrie

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 06:48:36 AM »
I've put this together for your enjoyment....actually for anyone else interested in these sensors and their issues.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13831.0

Still working on it but am at least up to page 25 in rooting out the TPMS threads.  You're right in that it's damnably difficult to search these out as we all use different terms.  It ain't no better on the 'other' site either using search.

Shipping note....Digikey won't ship USPS but ebay sellers will for about a buck.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 07:22:29 AM »
Went to Batteries Plus.......they spot welded tabs on and soldered them in place.....cost 6 bucks and I gave the tech a '$10 tip for doing the WHOLE thing for me. Heat can destroy both the battery and the circuit board and the spot welder does the job well. Just take them in separate bags so you don't confuse the front and the rear sensors.

Big Baldy

d*mmit man I though it was over-simple to begin with, this really changes everything.  Thanks for the heads up  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 06:27:27 AM »
The list of threads is very useful. perhaps a few notes so the threads with detailed how to's (like this one) are "more obviouser"? 

Just a hint but on another MC forum several of the "old hands" post thread links to the best thread with answers about the issue at hand.  More useful than posting a quick but not complete, detailed, with pics answer.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:16:07 PM by gggGary »
08B 73.5K miles