Author Topic: So what do you think?  (Read 5575 times)

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
So what do you think?
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:58:50 PM »
I've been out riding my 87 a good bit this summer as a commuter and a few nice weekend rides when I had the time, and I'm really enjoying the bike. I mean, like, really having fun.

However...

This bike needs a good winter overhaul if I'm going to keep it and make it my ride for the next few years.  It was a rescue from a guys garage where it sat for a few years, getting started up and run for a few minutes every month or so.

So far, I think this bike will need the following if I'm going to commit - From Shoodaben I'll need the full carb cleaning with 2 minute jet and overflow tubes installed, either the new torque cam unit or the performance sprocket, Murphs knee savers, new front rotors (got a small warp in one, might as well replace them both), and a fix for a most perplexing intermittent electrical problem - sometimes I turn on the bike and half the instrument cluster, the front headlight, and the rear taillight won't come on (I think that should be it's own post...)

Again, HOWEVER...

I have the 1" risers on my bars, and it has helped my comfort level, but I have worsening arthritis in my lower two disks in my back.  I need to sit up straighter.  I can't think of a way to do this without needing new lines, cables, etc.  At that point we're getting into "Why not just buy a different bike" money. Maybe even "buy a cruiser, you old fart" money.

What do you think? Is there a way to sit up just a little bit straighter without the bike becoming a money pit?  On bad back days, I'm riding my SR500 because I can sit up straight, but, to paraphrase the great Dean Wormer, "Tiny, 500cc's, and air-cooled is no way to go through rush-hour, son."

"This is where I place a funny comment."

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: So what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
we'll son
depends on how deep your pockets are....
I could put ya on "double secret probation", or let you just run wild...
what do I think? I think you need to drop that bike off at my SkUnKwErKz.... with a blank check... and pick it up in the spring..... it may sting a bit, but that's just pride talking... I'll make it right... I promise....

any doubt? Beuhler? Beuhler....etc

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »
I think I've never had a foot forward style cruiser that wasn't harder on my back than a more upright ST with my feet under me.

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:09:24 AM »
Well, I'm a big fan of my feet under me too, and I prefer mid style controls to forwards, for sure.  That's why I need the knee savers, I think.

But my arm reach is such that I have to lean forward a bit even with the 1" risers on the bars.  That leads to wrists and back talking to me after as little as 20 minutes in the saddle.  Buy a lower seat and I'll negate the benefit of the knee savers.  Raise the bars higher and I have to buy all new brake, clutch and - I'm guessing - throttle cables (or, you know, spend more on Gen-Mar adjustable risers than I did on the actual bike - not off the table for consideration).

This bike has only 24K on it.  There's no reason this bike couldn't be a reliable rider for several years (except for a 29 year old electrical wiring harness), but I'm not Mr. Deep Pockets, so cost to benefit carries a lot of weight.  My real riding days (not commutes) are few and far between right now,and they're too precious to spend rubbing my back and shaking out my wrists at a rest stop every 40 minutes. 

I've got a RARE opportunity to take a two day road trip by myself in two weeks, and I seriously don't know if I'll enjoy it on this bike as is.  I'm doing it anyway, but I don't know if I'll enjoy it physically.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »
Any chance a support belt would help?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 06:06:34 PM »
Clutch line can be used with a bit of massaging unless you're going for ape ahngers. The throttle cables can be re-routed, again within reason on the bars. New enrichener cable and two hose stainless brake kit up front. Murphs' has both in over lengths.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 06:53:01 PM »
Sgt - I'm going to try one actually...

Steve - Thanks - I'm not doing apes, just need about 2" pull back and another 1" up.  If I sit where I'm comfortable, my arms and fingers extend all the way out and just brush the handgrips where they sit now. 

I'm thinking if I can do all I need for less than 2K, it makes total sense to keep the bike and make it the way I want it over the winter, but anything over that, I need to consider selling it.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 08:00:03 PM »
Well, it is an 87 so it may be due for new clutch and brake lines so might be a normal expense anyhow.  Throttle cables could have the same theory applied though it is less likely they might need replacement due to wear but if u do replace it would be one less thing to worry about down the road.   

I have a cruiser, yamaha raider, and an 87 connie.  For an all around bike the connie is hard to beat with weather protection and ample luggage capacity.  I find the raider more comfy and lots cooler tempwise when it is warm out.   I have a small backrest on the raider and a kuryakn tombstone bag between me and the backrest which is made to lean against and it woks great.  I have no windshield and am always cleaning my helmet shield and my jacket always gets bug splattered on it. 

My 87 has genmar risers and the oem hoses and cables are fine but i dont know if the bars could be raised further.  I always felt there wasnt much play left.   
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 08:40:42 PM »
A note on clutch wear, I had to replace the springs in mine at about 200k miles and the clutch fibers still had 30% left. The bike is not babied.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 08:43:21 AM »
So I'm revisiting this post because why not.

I recently got a new J box for the electrical issue and found a good deal here in the "for sale" area for peg lowers and storz handlebar adapter, so I ordered new front brake lines and clutch line from Murphs yesterday.  I'm not installing the Storz until the lines arrive because it was 73 degrees yesterday, and the Connie doesn't sit when it's 73 degrees.  I guess what I'm saying is that I'll have to contact Steve in a few weeks and send my carbs off for the whole treatment at Shoodaben because it looks like I'm going to keep the Connie and farkle it until it fits me.

Random observation:  The other night I stayed out too late and went home in temps ranging from 51-48 degrees in a "3 season" mesh jacket. My Connie is running a half fairing and I was perfectly comfortable the whole way.  Chilly knees and just a little wind on the sides of my body.  Extremely happy about that.

LAST QUESTION:  Where do you find the tiny screws that hold the luggage clips onto the side panniers? Mine is missing a few screws and the ones that are there seem a little loose or too long?  I can go to a hardware store and just guess a bunch of times, but I was hoping somebody knows what screws and washers are OEM - mine have clearly been played with by previous owner.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 06:35:16 AM »
LAST QUESTION:  Where do you find the tiny screws that hold the luggage clips onto the side panniers? Mine is missing a few screws and the ones that are there seem a little loose or too long?  I can go to a hardware store and just guess a bunch of times, but I was hoping somebody knows what screws and washers are OEM - mine have clearly been played with by previous owner.

Don't know the size of the screws, but if you have a local hobby shop that sells RC cars, planes, and such, you may find exactly what you are looking for.  I would think they are metric.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington