Author Topic: Water pipe to pump leak.  (Read 3604 times)

Offline cc_ryder

• Jacksonville,FL ...................... Coggers ROK
Water pipe to pump leak.
« on: September 27, 2015, 04:44:03 PM »
I installed a new water pump and water pipe o-ring. I now have a leak at the water pipe connection.
Has anyone had a problem mating the water pipe with a new pump? The water pipe is about 1/8 inch short of lining up with the new pump. I have used a pry bar to force the bracket into alignment with the pump. It appears to bolt up properly but it leaks as if there were no o-ring. The o-ring is the same size as the original and the pump came from Murph's.   
ROK
Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders   www.patriotguard.org

Offline Jim __

Re: Water pipe to pump leak.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »
Did you lubricate the pipe and o-ring with silicone grease before assembly?  You shouldn't have to force it.

Offline cc_ryder

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »
Yes I did. I believe forcing it into position is the wrong approach. I am going to try disconnecting the pipe at the opposite end to relieve the tension and reconnect after the pipe is bolted in place.
ROK
Retreads

Offline cc_ryder

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:07:03 PM »
I disconnected both ends of the water pipe and the bolt up went much smoother. I had to tie back the hose at the front end to eliminate interference. There was a very slight leak at the o-ring but I fixed that by tapping on the pipe with a mallet. 
ROK
Retreads

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 07:14:01 AM »
I disconnected both ends of the water pipe and the bolt up went much smoother. I had to tie back the hose at the front end to eliminate interference. There was a very slight leak at the o-ring but I fixed that by tapping on the pipe with a mallet.

yep, banging things with a hammer works all the time, just like forcing things with a pry bar.
what size hammer did you use? metric or sae. should use a BFH they work best... ::)

simply remove the hose from the far end of the pipe, install the pipe andndont damage the oring, reinstall the hose onto the pipe.
make sure you replace the tie wrap strap between the other hose and the pipe to prevent the outer hose from melting on the exhaust pipe... pretty simple fix, don't need hammers or prybars.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 05:23:01 PM »

Don't forget to clean the screen.      What?  ... different type of water pipe.   8)

Offline cc_ryder

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 06:00:38 PM »
yep, banging things with a hammer works all the time, just like forcing things with a pry bar.
what size hammer did you use? metric or sae. should use a BFH they work best... ::)

simply remove the hose from the far end of the pipe, install the pipe andndont damage the oring, reinstall the hose onto the pipe.
make sure you replace the tie wrap strap between the other hose and the pipe to prevent the outer hose from melting on the exhaust pipe... pretty simple fix, don't need hammers or prybars.
      With skilled hands the mallet becomes a precision instrument. With practice you will perfect your skill.
ROK
Retreads