Author Topic: Side Stand safety switch 2001 Connie / Fail  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Side Stand safety switch 2001 Connie / Fail
« on: October 31, 2015, 10:27:04 AM »
Ok, almost 15 yrs old now, and the sssw has finally failed. And laying on the cold ground trying to get it to work was just way to much fun.
And getting the switch off its mounting bracket is a true design flaw, I decided to trace the wires forward. And then the rubber protective coating just fell apart. So now I have 3 wires, blk, red and grn.
Now to my question: Does anybody know the connection sequence to connect the wires, that will allow the bike to run ?  I'm going to disconnect the sssw, how do I splice the wires so it always reads as if the ss is always up ?
Thanks for any and all input.
Hope everyone had safe and joyfull riding season.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline connie_rider

Re: Side Stand safety switch 2001 Connie / Fail
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »
You may be able to flush it out with WD-40 and it will work again...
Bike on center stand; Blast the switch shaft with WD as you move the side stand up and down.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Pfloydgad

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 11:51:04 AM »
No luck on the flush out, it sat all night with heavy lube in an attempt to do just that, no go at all.
Thanks for the input.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 02:25:07 PM »
According to the wiring diagram, there should be 3 wires on the switch side of the plug, Green, Black and Brown. There should only be two wires on the bike side of the plug, Brown/Red and Black/Yellow, which you short together to bypass the side-stand switch function.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Pfloydgad

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 07:00:45 AM »
Thanks George,
Your wire colors must be your Canadian version. Mine are red, blk and grn. In following the wiring from the shop manual, red and black shorted together should indicate side stand up. I don't think it is fuse protected by the wiring diagram, and there can't be that much voltage running an up down switch. I will keep the masses informed.
Ride safe all.
Greg

Offline Pfloydgad

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 01:16:16 PM »
Ok,
If you have your SSSW ever fail, and the leads coming off on your Connie are Red, Blk. and Grn., connect the red and blk together, tape sealed and ground grn to frame.
Your system will never know that the side stand is ever down again.
Safety warning though. This disables the safety switch, so adjust your mental state to always check the side stand before taking off.
Ride safe all,
Greg

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »
sorry for not seeing this Greg, just twist all 3 wires together, and tape them up... takes the switch outta the circuit..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..