Author Topic: Engine noise after valve adjustment  (Read 5445 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Engine noise after valve adjustment
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
Hi guys,

I did my valve adjustment recently and have since ridden less than 100 miles.

First question, do I need to ride gently till the engine settles in to the new wider valve lashes?

Second, my valves were very tight and made no noise the one year I have owned the bike. Now, however it seems to be noisy but I don't know what is too noisy (too tappy). Bike starts and runs very well. What damage could happen if the valves are slightly looser than the specs?

Thanks...

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Engine noise after valve adjustment
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 04:26:01 AM »
Damage? Likely none.... BUT how loose is too loose? That is a difficult question to answer. But look at it this way when a valve is too tight they can indeed cause burnt valve as the valve may not fully close. If a valve is too loose it will not open as much as it should and perhaps rob a small amount of performance; and unless seriously on the loose side I don't see it causing much by way of peening. BUT I have to say if the valve is not "WITHIN" spec then it needs adjustment...

INTAKE: 0.13 mm to 0.18 mm or .005" to .007" SAE
EXHAUST: 0.18 mm to 0.23 mm or .007" to .009" SAE

As to the "settling in" question.... NO....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 05:43:38 AM »
"Sounds like a sewing machine" is what most people say it sounds like - although actually louder.  No waiting to flog it after an adjustment.

Make sure you are using the appropriate measurement in either inches or millimeters.  A few have mixed up their gauges in the past and got a less than accurate adjustment.  Most riders also tend to set to the higher side of the range for a little longer lasting job.  I always set to 7 and 9 myself using the "bump the starter" method to rotate the engine to set each pair when the cam lobe is pointing away from them.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 06:53:30 AM »
I do what RFH87 does. To add to T-Cro, remember, "tappy noise is happy noise" if you've done it all correctly.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 07:27:07 AM »
I do what RFH87 does. To add to T-Cro, remember, "tappy noise is happy noise" if you've done it all correctly.

Yeah that's it!  "Tappy valves are happy valves!"
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 10:41:50 AM »
With all the sudden (new to me) sewing machine noise I was concerned.

So I started reading and my confusion stems from the conflicting information I have read on how snug the feelers should be when adjusting the valve lashes.

When I watched a friend do his ex500 a few years back he made sure the feelers slid freely between the stem and the adjusting screw. However, now, in some places I have read says that the feeler gauge should be snug or slightly tight between the stem and screw??

I set my Intake: 0.007in, Exh: 0.009in. But since I made sure the feelers slid around freely with little or no friction I think I may be looser than 0.007 ad 0.009.

Should I crack everything open and redo or just ride till they tighten back up within specs. If no damage is expected from the valves being a little too loose, I just rather leave them alone. I can live with the sewing machine noise if you guys approve.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »
Ride on but check them again at 22k

I did the same thing and went a little too loose on my old 86 and after 200 miles i opened it back up and adjusted them again just because i could not take the noise, at the time my bike had 56k on it but if your bike has 12k then they should smooth out faster.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Leo

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 03:12:53 PM »
Don't forget that the valve timing chain that runs both of those cams makes a little noise too, especially when the bike is cold.  Some people convert the tensioner to manual adjust, but I put over 100K miles on 2 bikes and over 50K miles on a 3rd running the stock tensioner with no troubles. 

I also use the method where you use two feeler gauges and adjust both valves at the same time, to avoid any error due to rocker pivot wear letting things shift.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »
Thanks guys. I think with the low miles it should tighten up sooner than later. I just didn't want any damage if the valves are now 0.008" and 0.010" as they most likely are.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »
Thanks guys. I think with the low miles it should tighten up sooner than later. I just didn't want any damage if the valves are now 0.008" and 0.010" as they most likely are.

your specs are +.001" larger than the high side of stock. not a problem, not going to hurt anything, just will be a touch noisier. Steve

Offline Jim __

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 07:38:56 AM »
I was taught that the tension you feel on a feeler gauge when the adjustment is correct should be similar to dragging the gauge across a magnet.  If you're concerned about being too loose after adjustment, see if you can get a .001 larger gauge in there after your adjustments is complete and lock nut torque.  I think using 2 gauges simultaneously is a good idea.  Plus, it makes it easier to judge the tension on both set screws for each rocker since you can slide them at the same time.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
I think I remember having a set of "go - no go" gauges. To me, that made a lot of sense.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours