Author Topic: Clutch - Not engaging well  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Hwy 49er

Clutch - Not engaging well
« on: November 27, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »
Hi all,

My clutch only works slightly at the very end of the lever pull. This was actually more then a year ago. I had opened the clutch and order new friction plates. I had Rotella T 15W-40 HD in it.

Today I remeasured the old plates. They are all about .118". The range in the book I have is .114"-.122". The steels are all about .090". The book says .091" for "standard". Soooo, that doesn't look bad to me. Also, the outermost steel is a .078" (undersized). I had also ordered a "standard" .091" steel just in case I wanted to add a little thickness.

So now I'm thinking I jumped the gun buying new friction disks first without changing the fluid and looking for a clog.

So my question is, should I just throw the old set back in and look elsewhere for the problem?
'01, 54000 Miles, SISF power jetting with overflow tubes and foam in the air box, K&N air filter, stick coils, fork brace

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Clutch - Not engaging well
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »
the undersized steel.plate was in there to make the stack height correct, there are multiple thickness to insure this, so I don't think that was an issue.
Kaw oem frictions are very consistant, I have done many stacks simply using new frictions, presoaked.

when you did your swap, did you follow the manual, specifically on locating the outermost friction in the next groove of the basket, so it is trapped, per the correct sequence, or did you just stack them all in the same slot?
just asking, have to, because 8 out of 10 people doing a replacement don't have a book, nor realized the outer plate sits in a different groove, to allow correct function.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Hwy 49er

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 04:01:38 PM »
I may not have explained well enough.

I still have it apart and I am trying to decide if I should just throw the the old stack back in because they seem to be in spec., and save the new set for the next owner.

And look for a clog on the fluid line or something.

I know about the first plate needing to be offset and trapped. But thanks for that, and hopefully someone will still benefit from that advise. And I do have a book. I also took pictures when I disassembled it to note that and match marked what tab went in what slot, and the direction of the friction disk grooves also. And I have keep the stack in the original order. Nice, I'm one of the 20% :)
'01, 54000 Miles, SISF power jetting with overflow tubes and foam in the air box, K&N air filter, stick coils, fork brace

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 05:36:51 PM »
Not quite enough info to give a complete answer.

You said "My clutch only works slightly at the very end of the lever pull".
Are you saying that "in the last bit of inward lever movement" the clutch disengages?
         Or                 "in the last bit of outward lever movement" the clutch engages?

Regardless, the problem is (possibly) air in the line or (probably) master or slave cylinder needs attention.

Ride safe, Ted         

Offline Hwy 49er

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »
I'm sorry. I thought "pull" would mean inward lever movement. So anyway the clutch engages and disengages .25" from the grip. The rest of the range of movement does nothing.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
My apologies; I suspected it was near the grip,  but wanted confirmation.
Same answer, could be one of the 3. "I suspect the most probable is; slave cylinder needs to be taken off and cleaned".
The slave cylinder sometimes builds up gunk/corrosion that limits it's movement.
A good cleaning and bleed, normally fixes it.

Old plates should be fine.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 04:49:01 AM »
I'm sorry. I thought "pull" would mean inward lever movement. So anyway the clutch engages and disengages .25" from the grip. The rest of the range of movement does nothing.

Also take a look at the lever itself as they are known to wear at both the pin area as well as where the pad or fulcrum makes contact with the master cylinder. This will change how the clutch feels.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010