Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Batteries
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:31:53 PM »
Anyone have this battery and any information on life of battery? from this site
https://www.throttlexbatteries.com/Store_ProductDetail.aspx?pid=8EF8171C270567BF

Last few cold morning starts my bike sounds like its turning over to slow making me think it's time for a new battery.

Current battery is AGM Extreme Magna Power from auto zone - 3 years & 4 months old

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: Batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:31:10 PM »
It's a battery, 'nuff said.

Majority of staring batteries are AGM now. Apparently you could drain the sulfuric acid out of flooded batteries to make stuff. Think "Breaking Bad". No big deal, AGM (or any sealed) batteries are kewl. No refilling, no acid boil over (corrosion), they just work.

I've been using batteries from Interstate, mostly because they're easy to get from my local hardware store. Both my C-10's have in excess of three years on the battery, though I know they're about due to be replaced... they're getting old (time wise).

Saving ten clams by ordering from the inter-web is enticing, and may be a factor for some people. I tend to buy convenience, even if it costs me a couple of bux more.

And, though I don't have the stats, I suspect there are only a handful of battery *MANUFACTURERS*. The rest are re-brands.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 04:37:30 AM »
Majority of staring batteries are AGM now. Apparently you could drain the sulfuric acid out of flooded batteries to make stuff. Think "Breaking Bad". No big deal, AGM (or any sealed) batteries are kewl. No refilling, no acid boil over (corrosion), they just work.

I'd better keep them redneck cooks from draining the juice out of my 6 large golf cart batteries then, as flooded batteries still pretty much the norm for elect carts....

As to bikes find what's local and buy what is easy... On my bike I always had the time to order up an Odyssey battery.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:21:24 AM »
This is the battery I bought. It is basically a Yuasa battery. Motocross is a division created by Yuasa.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-ytx20hl-bs-agm-maintenance-free-battery.html?Category_Code=kawasaki-zg1000a-concours-battery

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
befor i buy online i think i will ride around today and see whats local to me, i pulled up a few places on the net i want to check out, i had my battery on my 1.5amp charger allnight, or 9 hours, befor i put it on the charger the volt meter said 12.0 volts and after the charge 12.2 so it does not apear to take a full charge anymore and the check/replace battery lite did come on once while charging. I'm looking for somthing with at least 310 cca, the current one has 325, that motocross batt looks good and has 310cca, would be good if i can find it local, just hope i don't get stranded but it has not failed to start yet but i think it's close.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 03:35:42 PM »
New Battery - on charger now, i have never bought a battery fully charged no matter what it says on the box. this one is showing 12.2v

bought it at an ATV motorcycle parts and repair shop

Interstate Cycle-Tron Plus 11/30/2015

Product ID:   FAYTX20HL

Cold Cranking Amps: 310
Voltage:   12
Termination:   
Weight (lbs):   15.7
Width (in):   3.44
Length (in):   6.88
Height (in):   6.13
CAP-10:   18.00
ReserveCapacity-25:   18.00
WET/DRY:   W
========
I will never buy a Power Source battery if i don't have to.
I reflect back to my post here about that battery.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10066.msg123617#msg123617

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »
befor i buy online i think i will ride around today and see whats local to me, i pulled up a few places on the net i want to check out, i had my battery on my 1.5amp charger allnight, or 9 hours, befor i put it on the charger the volt meter said 12.0 volts and after the charge 12.2 so it does not apear to take a full charge anymore and the check/replace battery lite did come on once while charging. I'm looking for somthing with at least 310 cca, the current one has 325, that motocross batt looks good and has 310cca, would be good if i can find it local, just hope i don't get stranded but it has not failed to start yet but i think it's close.

For future reference jot down that a 12 volt battery when fully charged will read out at 12.7 to 12.8 volts and at 12.2 volts you are looking at less than 60 % state of charge remaining and anything 12 volts and under is all but dead....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 04:52:09 PM »
yeah i have a volt chart here that came with my old battery, it says 12.00v is 25% and that's where it was at when i pulled it, so i was very lucky.
the new battery read 12.2v but is now fully charged after only 1 and half hours 12.94v. ill turn of the charger and check again in the morning befor i put it in the bike.