Author Topic: Back rest  (Read 3892 times)

Offline jetta90

Back rest
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:31:31 AM »
Hello all.........bought a 2002 Concours and I'm wondering what might be some options for a passenger back rest?  Anyone have one out there?
Thank you

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Back rest
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:51:16 AM »
You may ultimately decide you want a trunk or top box that has a built-in or optional backrest.  You might want to consider getting one instead.  OEM rests are kind of pricey not that trunks are cheap either.  Browse the site to look for pictures of them if you haven't seen one.  Here's a picture of one (Don will live in infamy).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:26:08 AM »
 :yikes:
You should post this in the trunk thread. I've never seen a Connie with a car trunk for a top case. :)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10970.0

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:00:22 PM »
Jetta--- Where are you located? I have a Kawasaki back rest which I paid over $200 for. It's like brand new having been on my bike for one month. I want $125 plus shipping for it. I also have built a bracket to raise the backrest about 2 inches which your passenger will appreciate. You can PM me or Email me.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline jetta90

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:52 PM »
RFH87_Connie, thanks for the response and ideas regarding the top trunk.  I have also given some thought to a trunk instead of the back rest set up and could go either way depending on pricing and availability.  The convenience of a top trunk if very enticing. 
Would love to hear how Don's Connie got to be that way..........hope Don was ok?

gPink, that Connie sure has a lot of carrying capacity with that car mounted in the rear as a top case. lol

mr t, I could be interested for sure.  I think shipping will be the killer, though.  I'm out on the west coast on the Canadian side.  I'll send you a pm.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »
From my recollection of what Don said, the car was making a left turn with no signal on.  Don crested a small hill and when he realized the car was not moving it was too late.  He grabbed the front brake, you can see what the bike did.  He wound up in a ditch to the side of the road.  He had an EMT take a picture of the bike and himself while strapped on the back board.  He looked pretty rough in that picture.  I would imagine he's all healed up by now.  I think he said he would take a little time off from riding after that.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »
Jetta-- The reason my backrest is available is because I replaced it with a Givi trunk. As much as I'd like to sell it you should check into a Givi or some other brand first. The top box is just so convenient to use.

I have not checked shipping costs yet, but NY to BC would be quite expensive. Good luck in your search.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline timmerz

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 07:10:50 PM »
You may ultimately decide you want a trunk or top box that has a built-in or optional backrest.  You might want to consider getting one instead.  OEM rests are kind of pricey not that trunks are cheap either.  Browse the site to look for pictures of them if you haven't seen one.  Here's a picture of one (Don will live in infamy).
Wow, well at least the bike's air-bag deployed like it's supposed to...erm, wait.... :o

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »

Offline jetta90

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 10:10:27 PM »
That is indeed a very clean set up for a back rest and rack combo you have tonedeaf.  That is good work.
Right now on the 2002 Concours I have, there is nothing at all to provide some support/security for the passenger.  There have been complaints from the passenger area (usually occupied by my wife) about unannounced and sudden acceleration episodes ;>) 
A top box with back rest would for sure be more practical, but unless I can find one that isn't too expensive I'm going to focus on finding a used factory backrest/rack set up. 
I'm still on the hunt for options......
Thank you

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 06:32:50 AM »
Here's some pics of my install.  Its made of aluminum sprayed matte black from an old trailer awning.  All bolts and nuts are stainless except for the four OEM bolts that secure the original plastic rack.  I can be removed in just a few minutes, but I never have.  I have since added a bolt with fender washers and a nylock nut to make sure it can't just pop off.  I did loose one once but it was years ago, about 20 degrees out, and I hit a large pot hole at speed.  The old latch was plastic, the new ones are usually metal.  Thats what broke on mine.  MThis set up is pretty robust, you could pretty much drive a car on it.  It is made from a large black cutting board from Target.  Total cost maybe $12.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:39:16 AM »
And the fifth picture...

Trunk rails are available from Murph still as far as I know.  These make it a snap to mount your case it you don't have access to materials or time.  You can either mount the cutting board to them or the case plate itself.  For a little extra stability, I would still add a plate between the two.  You will find you put a lot of stuff in there.  I've carried a car battery a few times to exchange for a new one.

Edit:  The rail picture is not my bike.  It is just a picture I found will figuring out what I wanted to do.